Free Comic Book Day: Fraggle Rock Comic

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's what I gotta say confuses me...

Now, this thing's supposed to be a preview, right? How come the first issue comes out like 3 days before? :confused: I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth at all, and I'm gonna go to multiple comic stores to make sure I at LEAST get 2 or 3 copies (they've been VERY stingy last year, otherwise I'd get a bundle of them in case someone misses it)/

Since there's no Simpsons comic this year, this is pretty much the only one I'm REALLY looking forward to.

wordsthatstay

Reaction score
It's not actually a preview of the series. It's a bonus comic that includes two original short stories that won't run in the regular series and won't be reprinted until the trade. So if you plan on collecting all the Fraggle Rock comics that come out as they come out, you definitely want to pick up the Free Comic Book Day issue! (Plus, it also includes a new Mouse Guard story, written and drawn by David Petersen, who draws those Muppet comic covers you all know and love!)

As for releasing them so close together, that was just a fluke of scheduling. Free Comic Book Day falls very early in May this year. I realize that may mean making two trips to your local comic shop this week, but isn't it worth it for free comics? (Especially Fraggle Rock ones!)

Tim Beedle
Editor, Fraggle Rock

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hi, Tim! Thanks for joining us at MC. I have to admit that I've been enjoying the BOOM! Muppets comics, and when I found out you guys were doing Fraggle Rock I immediately put in a call to my comic shop and asked them to put it on my list! I really do appreciate that you guys are bringing back some of my favorite characters and extending the stories and adventures the Fraggles had. I can't wait until tomorrow!

dwmckim

Reaction score
Since there's no Simpsons comic this year, this is pretty much the only one I'm REALLY looking forward to.
I saw a Simpsons comic being offered - can't remember the specific title but it was from Bongo and featured Comic Book Guy on the cover - just not under the "Simpsons" name specifically.

Two trips to the comic store in one week to pick up a Fraggle comic - what a nifty problem to have!

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Free Comic Book Day was a blast! Red was funny and sweet as always. We did two sets. Same songs each set. Here's what was sung:

Fraggle Rock Theme
The Friendship Song
Fraggle Rock Rock

The rest of the time Red posed for pictures and signed autographs. It was a great day!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw a Simpsons comic being offered - can't remember the specific title but it was from Bongo and featured Comic Book Guy on the cover - just not under the "Simpsons" name specifically.
Yeah... They had offered a LOT more than was previously advertised. I had to (as usual) go to multiple outlets to get as many of the comics as I wanted (accidentally picking up a couple crappy NOT REALLY COMICS comics), but I managed to get 2 copies of the free Fraggle Rock. Of course, they were basically throwing The Tick #1 at everyone... they have an annoying 2 per customer (and an additional 2 of the quarter bin throw-a-ways).. but they made sure EVERYONE walked off with The Tick.

Really great stuff. Second story had a real truncated feel, but still very good. I have to say, I really LOVED the art in the Boober the Doozer comic at the beginning. They also sold at one location the "rare" (they had PLENTY) photo cover varient for a buck. had I not bought it on OPENING DAY I would have saved 3 whole bucks and picked a bunch up for anyone else who needed one. but by then I spent all the money I had on Boom's reprints of Paperinik comics, so I couldn't help anyone there.

Plus, the photo cover didn't impress me anyway, exclusive or not.

wordsthatstay

Reaction score
Really great stuff. Second story had a real truncated feel, but still very good. I have to say, I really LOVED the art in the Boober the Doozer comic at the beginning. They also sold at one location the "rare" (they had PLENTY) photo cover varient for a buck. had I not bought it on OPENING DAY I would have saved 3 whole bucks and picked a bunch up for anyone else who needed one. but by then I spent all the money I had on Boom's reprints of Paperinik comics, so I couldn't help anyone there.

Plus, the photo cover didn't impress me anyway, exclusive or not.
Well, you might be happy to know that the same artist (the very talented Jake Myler) who drew the "Boober the Doozer" story for our Free Comic Book Day issue is also drawing the 20-page lead story in issue #2. He's quite the gifted comic book illustrator, so we're thrilled he's been able to contribute so much to our little book.

Also, it's probably for the best that you didn't spend the extra money on the photo cover. I'm not sure how rare it actually is. The really rare cover is the cover we produced exclusively for retailers. It features the same Jeremy Love illustration we used to promote our Free Comic Book Day event (you can see it here, beneath the video: http://www.meltcomics.com/blog/2010...-the-grilled-cheese-truck-sale-and-much-more/)

I don't even have a copy of that one! If you see that issue for sale anywhere, snag it!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm definitely a fan of the Fraggle Rock comics. My purchased issue shows, though, that there are only 3 issues. Will there be more?