1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Frogboy's trip to the Puppet Guild!

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by frogboy4, May 26, 2002.

1. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It is after 4:00 am and I have just gotten back from a really fun day! I started out at the Puppet Guild meeting. Karen Prell and Brian Stokes invited me as their guest and it was great to meet other like-minded individuals with similar passions. R. Steven Weber (who did make-up and puppetry for Star Trek Voyager and Deep Space 9) gave a lecture about puppet building. Great stuff. There was also much chatting. Afterward we all went for pizza and chatted even more! I was having such a good time I almost forgot about the time. It was nearly 11:30 pm and I needed to meet a friend at Club Universe to see Cyndi Lauper perform ASAP! I quickly said my goodbyes, promised to come to future meetings and hopped a cab to the club. Cyndi came on late anyway, but she was incredible! This was a fantastic day and I think I will join the guild. There’s some really cool people there. If any of yall are in the Bay Area, you should really consider checking it out! Much thanks to Karen and Brian!!
  2. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Hey Frogboy!

Great to hear about the guild and all the stuff happenning in the Bay area...quite the little hive of puppetry from what I understand. Makes me jealous to be stuck up here in cold, rainy Canada! lol
  3. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt New Member

Hey Jamie!

Glad to hear you had fun at the guild meeting. Wish I could've been there, but not much puppet stuff happens here in Dallas.

Later man

- Billy :cool:
  4. radionate

radionate New Member

More importantly Jamie, how was Cyndi?
  5. matleo

matleo Active Member

Great to hear you had such a good time at Bat area's Guild meeting. I highly recommend joining a guild to anyone interested in puppetry. we just started one here in NJ and are hoping to see it grow. I also recommend getting involved with Puppeteers of America. They're both just great ways to network and see what others are doing in the field and learn from each other. Also, most of the guild's are usually full of some great people!!

--Matt

PS-- Billy, there's no puppetry in Dallas? I thought I had heard about a puppet theater out there or something. Hmm...
  6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Nate

Cyndi was spectacular. Actually she came on really late - almost 2:00 am. I though she was supposed to go on at 12, but apparently something happened. She arrived on stage in a gorilla suit and stripped it off to reveal an audacious silvery dress. She sung a few songs - Shine, The Ballad of Cleo and Joe, I'm Gonna Be Strong, Hey Now (the Girls Just Want To Have Fun remake), Higher Plane, True Colors and She Bop. It was rather packed at Universe, a club I don't really enjoy going to being the pale skinny guy that I am in a room full of gym rats, but it was fun nonetheless and I got my share of play (Cyndi would be proud). LOL! It was a great evening!
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Puppet Guld Meeting-

Yeah, it was really fun. I actually didn't know what to expect. I thought it might be some bizzarre Muppet cult...hey, isn't that here? LOL! Seriously, everyone there was really nice and welcoming. I must have chatted poor Karen's ear off. She is really cool. Very glad I finally got the chance to meet her! :)
  8. Luke

Luke Active Member

<< She arrived on stage in a gorilla suit and stripped it off to reveal an audacious silvery dress. >>

Now thats my kind of concert !
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Yup, the only thing better would be a penguin suit, but maybe she's saving that for the tour. :)
  10. Luke

Luke Active Member

If ONLY Britney would learn from her peers ! *Sigh*
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I must admit it is thrilling to hear such a powerful voice that has the quality of the album and know that she's not lip-sincing! And that Cyndi's a wild woman - all dancing around the stage. Whoever makes the excuse that they have to lipsincc bacause they dance so much has obviously not seen this Cyndi perform. The best live performer I have seen! :) And there were drag queens too!
  12. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

Has there ever been a Cyndi performance without drag queens?
  13. radionate

radionate New Member

Divas live on VH1, oh wait. Wouldn't Cher count as a drag queen?

I say we need Cyndi to perform at Muppetfest II with Piggy and Janice. I mean, if Brooke Shields can do it, why not people with a little more talent?

(sorry if I offended any Brooke fans!) :rolleyes:
  14. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

No offense taken! LOL! I think she's a good canditate for working with the Muppets!
  15. radionate

radionate New Member

Frogboy's a Brooke fan? Well, guess there's no accounting for taste at MC!!!!

Now I must say that she did star in my second favorite MS episode (next to Gilda Radner), as it was Alice in Wonderland!!!!! So please no blasting me about making fun of the has been actress. :p
  16. radionate

radionate New Member

Re: Nate

Would that be Monopoly, Canasta, or Solitaire?
    :confused:
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Oh, no. Quite the contrary. I 'm not a big Brooke fan. I found it amusing that she was the weak link on her television series. The writers would give her some really great material sometimes and she'd just throw it away. Very unfortunate. The ensamle cast was pretty tallented and I always felt sorry for them. :eek:
  18. radionate

radionate New Member

I always felt they should have had an episode called, "Suddenly Susan's Gone!" Where Brooke's character is killed off, and the show could have continued on without her.
  19. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

LMAO! I'm sure she's a nice lady, but not much of an actress. I was disappointed to hear that the Fest did not attract top entertainers - that is - aside from the Muppet performers! I still wish I could have gone.

Today my class took a trip to the Saul Zaentz Fantasy Studios in Berkley. They were laying down some tracks for K19, the new Harrison Ford picture. Cool stuff! They also did the sound for Oz's pic, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and many others. Their biggest film is Amedaus, of course. But they produced that as well and it was in their film production division. We only toured the sound building. :)
  20. fishbone

fishbone Member

huh?

I saw a pic just recently of Cindy, she's fraggin' hot!!! Hey, frogboy you make puppets?