Full-Bodied Muppet Mechanics?

shtick

Reaction score
I've seen a post here or there about Full-Bodied Muppet mechanics of moving both arms. Is there a diagram or some kind of description as to how to assemble such a mechanism/

I'm hoping to build a full body character.

muppetperson

Reaction score
All that I can think of to raise both arms at the same time is to have internal wires in both arms and have them linked to each other with string, and then another string tied to that that goes down.When you pull that, both arms go up.Is that what you are after, or do you want something set up so you can either raise one arm or the other?Obviously you dont want to use arm rods, so is this for some kind of ventriloquist dummy? The only arm movement I know for that is a nudding movement so you would have to put a lever at the top of each arm, but wont be able to work the 2 together.Wait, maybe you could, if you linked the 2 with string that was loose enough to work each separely by pulling each lever, and then pull in the middle to raise both arms?

kdking

Reaction score
Are you thinking of a set up similar to the way Big Bird's arms operate?

shtick

Reaction score
in these clips you see when the more active hand goes down the less active one goes up. I believe this is how Big Bird's mechanism works. This is what I'm looking to achieve.

Anyone ever built one of these or seen one up close?

http://thirteencelebration.org/blog/tag/snook/

practicecactus

Reaction score
There's a line that runs from the right, [unused arm] wrist, up to the neck, down to the left wrist. It see-saws. You can see it flash in the first of those two videos you linked to. At one point when he's sitting down it looks to move up on it's own.. that would have to be one for ravagefrackle to explain though. Some kind of springiness in the arm perhaps?
You can see the line in this pic of Big Bird.
It's a fantastic simple solution, whoever originally came up with it.
As to how it's done, where it runs up to some wrist strap inside the neck or somethin inside, I don't think we'll know those specifics.

shtick

Reaction score
Ravagefrackle or Keeermit?

Thanks for posting that pic! Thats exactly what I mean.

I hope ravagefrackle or Keeermit can shed some light on what kind of "fishing line" is used and where and how the pulley or loop is mounted.

Keeermit

Reaction score
Hi there,
its exactly whats been mentioned - as for big rid - there is a tiny ring under his beak hidden by the feathers - the line goes through the ring and attached to both arms. When the arm moves up and down it does the see-saw effect making the dummy arm move. The simplest way is usually the best way to do things :smile: