Full-body costume puppets

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Not that I think this would be an easy thing to do by any means and I'll probably get some folks wondering about my sanity for asking this, but I'm going to ask anyway just out of sheer curiosity:

Has anyone here ever attempted to make a full body sized puppet like Big Bird or the bear from Bear In The Big Blue House. I guess I should also include characters like Sweetums or any of the Gorgs from Fraggle Rock to be of this variety, even though their mouths are operated by remote control by someone offstage, the principle is still the same as operating the mouth manually. But still Bear and Big Bird are more the kind I had in mind for pretty obvious reasons.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The closest I've ever come is a costume of overalls, long sleeve shirt (stuffed with 2 big pillows for fat-belly-ing), and oversized boots, then put two 'monster gloves' in the sleeves. My left hand was in the glove and my right hand came up through my collar of the shirt. The 'right hand' of the costume was affixed to the belly of the suit. Then, there was a mask that was over-sized with a huge gaping mouth that was put over my head and my right hand was in the bottom jaw of the mask. Then, I used a mix between Sweetums/Pa Gorg voices and he kind of hosted the haunted house last year. To see photos go to www.nightmarez.org, the photos section (put your cursor over the bottom left pic and it'll show up). There's also photos of me as Ghostbuster Williams and my pal Lin as Beetlejuice!

FOZ
http://www.nightmarez.org/photos.htm

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
*gets scared* oh wait these pics are ok! whew!

Sarah:wink:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I've made those sorts of costumes. They're challenging, but quite do-able. The trickiest part are the eye holes-- keeping them disguised yet large enough for a not-too-obstructed view and making sure they line up properly.

Luke

Reaction score
I used to be one of these - live on TV and a famous character and everything. They used to buy the costume in from someone and it cost a few thousand dollars. It always suprised me the amount of female interest i had at that time.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
I used to be one of these - live on TV and a famous character and everything. It always suprised me the amount of female interest i had at that time.
That is just frightening, Luke.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke,

*Sings*

Mr. Blobby, Mr. Blobby...

You didnt hang out with Noel Edmonds by any chance Luke ?

:big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
Ahem no, i was not Mr Blobby but i WAS offered the chance to do him - they wanted me to start off doing appearances at Brands Hatch and then move onto the TV when the regular guy went. However i had to break it to them gently that i was just doing this costumed thing for a laugh and wasnt exactly looking for a career move. I was in actual fact the Newsbunny - though i was never the pink one, i drew the line at transgender dressing.

Yes, female interest was definitely enhanced at the time. I had various giggling girly friends of our newsreaders calling up to talk to me, and a very over eager Japanese tourist girl who wanted to cuddle me in Trafalgar square. The pressure of the role increased when they introduced Newsbunny's love interest and wanted me to passionately snog her for valentines day ..... while a nice female intern was under there so i had no problem with it, i felt simulating sexual acts while dressed as a rabbit was a little beneath me, which wasn't the only thing.