1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Funniest SST Moments

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by tutter_fan, Nov 13, 2006.

1. MeepMeepBork

MeepMeepBork Member

I have a friend who does an almost spot-on Don Music impression, and he uses that line all the time. Cracks me up!

Don definitely makes me laugh the most out of all the Sesame Street characters. Mary Had a Bicycle is my favorite of his skits, no question about it.

"Well, uh, they go 'BAH' and they run around a lot... That's it! They run! All the time! Runrunrun! *prances around the room*"

Don: "Well that doesn't work! It must sound like snow!"
    Kermit: *sneers* It doesn't HAVE to sound like snow...
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I can't believe I didn't mention "Happy Caps" yet. That's one of my favorite bits. Aside from the fact Telly keeps walloping on Elmo, of course...
  3. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

4. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

It's nearly impossible to think of funniest SST moments and not have B&E come to mind. Particularly Bert's reactions to the mashed banana with ice cubes and gravy plus the whole Ernie's disguise kit sketch ("Ernie...you're a fool." and Big Bad Wolf's self-fanfare when he enters) and counting sheep/fire engines/balloons sketch (made even better by Bert's nose waggling back and forth as he shivers in fear at the end).

But i have a special place in my heart for the Miss Muffet newsflash. So BRILLIANTLY written and played by Jim, Frank and Jerry. From Muffet's pro-crunchy granola stance and anti-curds and whey tirade ("Have you ever tried curds and whey? THEN DON'T TELL ME I GOTTA EAT 'EM! They're YUCHY!") and the whole end of the sketch once the spider enters...

"Heeeeey Miss MufFIT, I've come to frighten you a-way-yay!"
    "Sorry Charlie - us little girls aren't scared of spiders anymore."
    "Oh..rats."
    "Hey, try the frog."
    "Uh - no - don't try the frog!"
    "Hey-yay-yay-yay FROG! I've come to frighten you away!"
    "...and I think you're about to succeed too."

"Hey, Frog...Boo."
    AHHHHA!
  5. Katzi428

LOL! Yeah...that was funny too!:)
  6. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

Oh I just remembered another one- Kermit explains the word "round" with a small pink ball: "And a ball can sing Tip-toe... through the tulips! Tip-toe... through the tulips!"
  7. HootsytheOwl

HootsytheOwl Member

My favorite funny bits

Hello everybodeee!:super:

There so much on SST that was hilarious, but here's the ones I like best.

1. Ya wanna C? ( see) .....Fat Blue owned again, lol.

2. Mad Painter skits, all of them, but especially number 3. My brother used to make the faces the painter makes when he goes " hmm...." or " hey!" in that one, to make me laugh.

3.Anytime the Yip-yips got scared of something and went " Gunnnng!"

Your dear friend,
    Kitt
  8. Katzi428

Ahha! That's another one of my Kermit favorites!:)
  9. Katzi428

10. :p and :( in all, and Don Music's frustrations to come up with a little song (especially "Mary Had a Bicycle").
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I always loved the claymation chair that kept bumping into things. Me and my cousin used to imitate that for the longest time when we were little.
  12. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

(Man, it's been a while since I've replied to this thread!)

Grover and Kermit are fabulou together. There's this one sketch where Kermit actually slams the door on Grovers head (when he's a door-to-door salesman)! I know it's a little harsh of me, since I love Grover, but it *was* hilerious.

There's also this one sketch where Elmo's talking to some other monster (I *think* it was Cookie- sorry for the vaguenness) and he snaps at him. Not over-the-top, but... it's just seeing Elmo cross! He was sort of snappy, it was a funny thing to witness, actually.

Anything with Ernie and Bert. They're two of my faves. Too many moments to mention, really. Cookie's hilerious, too. He comes up with some pretty wacky stuff.

Harvey Kneeslapper's great, too. Such a weirdo. x33

Will post more once I can remember.
  13. There's also a sketch where Mr. Johnson does that to Grover, where he's a wig salesman.
  14. MeepMeepBork

MeepMeepBork Member

In the sketch where Grover is attempting to sell Kermit earmuffs, I can't help but crack up when Kermit snaps, "I don't want any earmuffs, Grover!" and Grover screams back, "WHY NOOOT?"
  15. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Grover also gets the door slammed on his foot just before he delivers the "singing and dancing telegram" to Mr. Johnson, if I recall correctly. (This was the skit that revealed his official name, BTW...)
  16. dwmckim

That is indeed a classic but you didn't quote the BEST line..."I told you - FROGS DON'T HAVE EARS! (We hear anyway.)"
  17. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

The calm, understated "We hear anyway" in the middle of Kermit's rant only adds to the humor. You'd think that Grover would learn his lesson after a few anatomically impossible sales, and stick to human customers. :super:
  18. blackaerin

blackaerin Active Member

i guess it only further shows how much of a friend Grover considers Kermit to be, enough to want to sell him things he considers as very important for his daily needs.
    (Grover, unlike some salespeople, would only sell things to others only if he truly believes that they well and truly need it and not just because of the money. )
  19. dwmckim

Even funnier still is the fact that most people who work professionally in tech support tend to utilize similar methods!

I know i've talked about these two sketches many a time over the last twelve years but they're so classicly hilarious they bear repeating...

The Dullard teaching the Hipster about shapes (in a spin on Visual Thinking) with Northern Calloway voicing the hipster ("OW! CIRCLES!") and Frank doing the dullard (with one of the largest noses ever on an AM) ("Don't DO that") Best moment (besides Hipster grooving on his guitar): "Now do you know what a square is?" "I know WHO a square is!"

And my all time fave (non-song) sketch is "2,3,4 Art Gallery" with Biff putting up the titles for paintings with splotches. Even though AFAIK he was a one time character, Salvador Dada was one of Jim's funniest characters. After cracking up at Jim's brilliant performance all throughout - they go out with simply the best ending ever - a PERFECTLY delivered punch line ("I've entitled zis painting 'Chicken Zoup'") but then immediately follow it up with Salvador doing this hilarious dance with the mute museum guard seen during the scene's establishing shot along with the ending music as Biff mutters to himself in the background, "Chicken soup? What is this? Oh no". That was actually an in joke with my Muppet loving friends in college when someone was bewildered with something randomly strange, we'd mutter "Chicken soup?"
  20. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

Oscar appears on "Ze Grouchy Chef":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrki8jepUzk

One of my favorite parts is when David leans forward in his chair and starts yelling at Oscar and the chef, Olivia looks like she's starting to tell him he's yelling at a TV, then David finally realizes it himself and says, "What am I yelling at a television for?" and sits back down.