Fur Question

DPuppets

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few ways to make the faux fur look dirty and have more of that muppet sesame street look. I was curious what other builders are doing to make their fur to look that way.
Darren

Ryan

Reaction score
DPuppets said:
I know there are quite a few ways to make the faux fur look dirty and have more of that muppet sesame street look. I was curious what other builders are doing to make their fur to look that way.
Darren
As far as I know, there's no real "one way" to do it. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think Muppet monsters are intentionally made to look ragged. Take the new Grover for example. He's very groomed and has smoother longer fur. That's how the 70's Grover looked because he had just been made. He only got to look darker and raggedy in the 80's because the original puppet had been used for such a long time (even though the eyes and nose were changed every few years)

Making the fur look "dirty" kind of happens gradually. With all of the use it gets, it's appearance will change.

However, there is some fur (albiet more expensive fur) that looks a little clumpier, if that makes sense. It can be bought currently at K-Mart in quilt and pillow form. Here's a puppet I made with the fur.
It's not noticeable in the photo, really, but in comparison to this fur, it's a big difference.

That being said, that's a great question, which I only think I know the answer to. :wink: Check your K-Mart.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
might i suggest washing it , yes wshing it, add detergent, and lots of fabric softner, do it on a hot setting, maybe even do it twice, then spin dry, and hang it out side, it should look considerably more textured than it started, (i would do a test peice, just to be sure it gives you your results)

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE DRYER < IT WILL DESTROY THE PILE
AIR DRY ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eight's King

Reaction score
I have heard, and I know it sounds strange, that some of the Sesame Street puppets are singed with a blow torch at a distance in order to make the fur clump and mat together.

But be carefull and test it out first with a scrap. I have never tried it myself.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Eight's King said:
Sesame Street puppets are singed with a blow torch at a distance in order to make the fur clump and mat together.

NOT A BLOW TORCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
you can use a hot air gun, again be careful, and do some test on scraps, do not use a actual flam, most fur piles are flamable to a degree.

u may also try rubbing in clear hair gels,that will help them keep thier shape, but it will also atract more dirt and dust ,

gfarkwort

Reaction score
What if you tried getting your hands dirty with newspaper ink and rub or smear it into the parts of the fur you want it.