Future Dr. Seuss Films

Princeton

Reaction score
The books of Dr. Seuss are loved by all, though most of the recent film adaptations play very 'fast and loose' with Seuss' intentions. So, since THE LORAX has been out for a few weeks now, I thought it would be fun to throw around ideas for future film versions of Dr. Seuss books. Here's my list:

-Green Eggs and Ham: I know what you're thinking... but CAT IN THE HAT had just as simplistic a story and they were able to make a film out of that.
-I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew: This is my favorite book of his and has so much potential to make a great film.
-Yertle the Turtle: I almost hesitate to option this one due to Seuss openly admitting he based the book on the rise and fall of Adolf Hitler. However, with THE DICTATOR coming out soon (considering it does well), I think the right director could do great things with it, providing he/she knows to do successfully bring satire to the screen.

Can't wait to see your lists!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Pontoffel Pock is an interesting case, because it originated as a TV special as opposed to a book, and the overall plot seemed to be rather meaty compared to other Seuss stories... I think it has potential of being expanded into a movie of sorts, but the problem is, remakes are never done right, so a movie would bound to suck.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I've thought for quite a while about a Green Eggs & Ham movie-- picturing someone like Steve Carell that gets followed everywhere he goes by this Sam in unexpected comical situations, i.e. driving through a tunnel and then Sam pops out from up above...

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
Heh, I joked about Universal working on a Green Eggs and Ham movie in my DeviantArt journal for April Fools Day. :big_grin:

I'd like to see how it could work, it's one of my favorite Seuss books. ^^ With Horton and the Lorax done, I wouldn't be surprised if there were plans.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I heard another Cat in the Hat is in the works. This time CGI, like Horton and Lorax. If you get the right actors, it might actually work.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
-Green Eggs and Ham: I know what you're thinking... but CAT IN THE HAT had just as simplistic a story and they were able to make a film out of that.
They were able to make a film I nearly walked out on, lol.

I wouldn't object to them making Seuss into movies except that they consistently have no idea what they're doing.

Those cartoons from the '60s and '70s were ten times more creative and thoughtful, didn't mess with the material or resort to cheap non-laughs.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I have always loved "Hop on Pop", but I am not sure if that book could be a movie...maybe a short accompanying a full length feature?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pontoffel Pock is an interesting case, because it originated as a TV special as opposed to a book, and the overall plot seemed to be rather meaty compared to other Seuss stories... I think it has potential of being expanded into a movie of sorts, but the problem is, remakes are never done right, so a movie would bound to suck.
I could see them doing that one. It's fairly obscure, but it does have a meaty enough plot to be stretched to a full 90 minutes. Especially the Neefa Feefa rescue sequence. That could have some depth added to it.

I heard another Cat in the Hat is in the works. This time CGI, like Horton and Lorax. If you get the right actors, it might actually work.
They're Incredible Hulk-ing the franchise? If they somehow combine the 2 Cat in the Hat books, they could have something there. I say they follow the PBS show's lead and have Martin Short play the Cat. That's the only thing I really enjoy about that series... the animation is so stiff and flat, even for Flash. Still, that movie's going to have to have a LOT of damage control over the first one. I mean, somehow the Grinch gets multiple playbacks at Christmas to the point they still sell Grinch movie merchandise (with that UGLY cartoon they had to create because they couldn't get the rights to use the Chuck Jones one), but Can in the Hat was just awful all around. Only advantage CITH had over Grinch was that the merchandise looked like the books. Almost got some of the action figures but didn't.

I wouldn't object to them making Seuss into movies except that they consistently have no idea what they're doing.

Those cartoons from the '60s and '70s were ten times more creative and thoughtful, didn't mess with the material or resort to cheap non-laughs.
Funny thing is, when they first did a Dr. Seuss cartoon, it was no different...

There's a LOT of 1940's pop culture jokes and that weird suicide joke in there... I'd say the bird's constant "Rully, I am" is the 1940's equivalent of saying "Say Hello to my little friend." But it's still a pretty good cartoon.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'd like to see You're Only Old Once or The Seven Lady Godivas, myself.