Gas Boycott

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else's heard about this, but tomorrow there will be a nation-wide boycott of gas stations in order to protest high gas prices. I understand that emergencies happen, and some people for various reasons won't participate in this, but I hope everyone that can will be on board!

Thank you!
:smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Seeing as I don't have a car, I automatically participate. Heheh.

Though I admire the idea, boycotts like this don't seem to work, at least in my mind. Even if people do boycott for a day, that means that all the more people will be filling up the next day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
An this is going to accomplish... ?

If Bush hasn't done anything after all this time, what makes everybody think he's going to do something about it now?

Besides, he's not home.:batty:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think if it were done on a large enough scale, it could make an impact. That isn't likely to happen unfortunately, not at the moment anyway. People are a little too complacent, or afraid of the repercussions. Which I do understand, and there are emergencies and other circumstances. However, this is an important issue and things won't change until we do take a stand. :smile:

I don't drive my car too much, but for what it's worth, I can avoid it for a while. :wink:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well, at first I agreed that there could be no way it could work. Then my mom reminded me of the same thing you said Haralde, about what might happen if it were done on a large enough scale. That's why I posted here about it, so that scale might just get a bit larger.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Seeing as I don't have a car, I automatically participate. Heheh.
I'm in the same boat as you are. But it makes me wonder how long this cold keep up before you need gas again? I do know that it's just for one day. But you do save some gas and money for one day by participating too.:big_grin:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
This will have very little $ impact on the oil companies as people will either buy their gas on May 1st or May 3rd. But if everybody would participate maybe it can send a clear signal to them that we are fed up with their record profits at the expense of the common citizen. And maybe the politicians will get the message that we need to put more money into research of developing alternative energy sources, raising the minimum MPG requirements, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
An this is going to accomplish... ?

If Bush hasn't done anything after all this time, what makes everybody think he's going to do something about it now?
Hey, and let's not forget the greedy pigs who run OPEC. They had abundant chances to tell people to produce more oil, back when it was going for 50 bucks a barrel (or whatever), but declined because they weren't making enough blood money. they pretty much let it go up to 120 a barrel, and they're pretty much letting it stay that way.

So both of them are to blame for this one.

Boycotting gas is NOT going to do snot. maybe drop the price down about 2 cents for a week. That's it. What's really going to send a message to the oil and gas conglomerates? Boycott SUV's! Our selfish little SUV culture pretty much doomed us to this fate. Fine, if you have a big, big family, and you haul a lot of groceries or stuff like that, fine. But if you're a tiny little single woman, you have absolutely no right to get a gigantinc bus.

And the worst part... they're starting to market this towards younger single people. Watch the commercials. You'll see what I mean. In times like these, we all should think about smaller vehicles with higher fuel efficiency. Not some lame substitute for Masculinity or power that drinks gas like a dehydrated person in the dessert (one s or two s's? I forget) would drink water.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Boycott SUV's!
I absolutely agree, those things need to get lost. :stick_out_tongue:

Though I'll still avoid the gas stations for awhile. It's better than doing nothing. It's also better to avoid driving if you can anyway. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Why are they still call Sports utility where there is never any sports utility in them? There are actually a few models that save gas thought. Especially with those new fuel effeminacy hybrid models things out now and don't out out all th toxins in the air that traditional cars put out. I've ridden in a few and it feels like the engine didn't even start and you couldn't even here it.