1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Gasket rubber.

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by BorkBork, Nov 24, 2002.

1. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Hiya

I asked my moms husband about gasket rubber. He's a plumber so he should know. Well, their supplier has some, i got a test-piece. It seemed good enough to use for mouthplates, BUT, the price was really high. One piece of one meter cost $150 !!!!

Is it that expencive everywhere, or is it only in sweden???

If you know anywhere on the web i can order some cheaper, please supply a link.

/Anders
  2. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

u mean like u wanna make a noreen young-ish rubber puppet?
  3. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

nope, gasket rubber is used for mouth-plates for the moving-mouth puppets.

/Anders
  4. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

i use cardboard
  5. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

yes, you can do that, but you will not get the bend tha kermit, wembley, red and so many others has in their mouths.
    That's what gasket rubber is good for ;)
  6. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Anders

Do you think i could buy some from you ?

i dont know the price or what sizes it comes in, But i sure want some !

Im in England too, So its not so far away !

See ya
  7. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

well, i never did buy it. i just got a little test piece 5x5 cm... it's useless. That's why i need to know where to buy cheaper ;)

/Anders
  8. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

well, don't SOME muppets have cardboard in there mouths?
  9. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Yes Virginia, gasket rubber is usually very expensive. :(

One alternative we have used is fun foam (or craft foam) which is sold in most craft supply stores for about $1 a sheet or less. We'll cut a mouth plate out of craft foam, then contact cement a fabric lining on and voila! Instant flexible mouth plate.

If you go this way, be sure to get the thicker (slightly more expensive craft foam). The thin stuff that dollar stores seem to carry is terrible.

Another option is to try different varieties of vinyl - you can usually find vinyl at fabric stores or through upholstry supply stores.

I hope this helps!
  10. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

so, buck, who's that little beaver u have an avastar of?
  11. ballington

ballington New Member

Should the frog be retired?

Is anyone willing to talk about something old that I just gotta' get off my chest? I'm a little disappointed in where the Muppets are headed and TRUST me, I am a fan, not a small one either.
  12. ballington

ballington New Member

13. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

and what has that got to do with the topic of this thread?:D
  14. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Thanks!

I was also thinking of plastic icecream box-lids, but they are too small. I'll go down town and look for replacements someday ;)

/Anders
  15. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

That's Buck Beaver, a character I did for an online comedy series we produced 2 1/2 years ago called "The Marshall & Buck Show." As a matter of fact, we're starting preproduction on a new TV show with those same characters in a few weeks.