1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"Gee, I wish I were you people..."

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Beauregard, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

"...seeing this for the first time."

Does anyone else get annoyed with the beginning of GMC where Kermit explains the movie and says, "Gee, I wish I were you people seeing this for the first time." That line has grated on me even when it really *was* the first time I was seeing the movie, because I knew that as soon as I watched it a second time, that line would be pointless and kinda destroyed.

Anyone else feel that way about it? Does it annoy you when movies don't think ahead?
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Lol, sometimes yes. But I never really thought about it regarding this line before. Probably because I'm jealous of the people who did see this in the theater for the first time, hehe.
  3. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Forget that! I'm a bit jealous of the people who worked on the movie! The muppeteers, yes, but isn't there a little part of all of us that wishes muppets were real, and we were among them? lol
    :crazy:
    But then again, if we were, the movie wouldn't be as fun to us, because, like Kermit, it would all be old hat to us.
    :) But seriously, no, I've never thought about it 'til now.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  4. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I think it's a cute line. I don't really see anything wrong with it as I have the same mentality as heralde's statement.

And the way I see it, it has to be someone's first time in watching it. I think he was talking to a bigger audience than just one person. And that line needs to be appreciated in that way.
    Zeliboba and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

When ever I hear Kermit say that I some how am able to put myself in the place that I'm seeing this movie for the first time. I love GMC and would love to own it on DVD one day I will.
  6. heralde

Maybe part of it is I don't remember the first time I saw GMC, I've had it practically my whole life. So I never had time to ponder, lol.
  7. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

There's very little about GMC that doesn't grate me. Though I must say, for all its faults it's by far the most quotable of the Muppet movies.
  8. heralde

Of the original three, GMC does have a few slow parts, lol (though I still prefer it over the more recent projects hehe).
  9. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

I agree; for as innovative as the bike sequence was, they could have found a better way to incorporate it into the story. It's like "Okay, they're fighting, they're fighting... oh look, now they're riding bikes!"
  10. Beauregard

*laughing* Haven't you been to England lately? Literally *everyone* gets on bikes and rides around singing after having a big fight...*shakes head sadly* *laughs*
  11. heralde

Hehe, well the whole movie is sort of Pythonesque in its randomness. Columbo's little cameo for instance, hilarious, lol.
    Princeton likes this.
  12. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Nope, that line doesn't bother me at all.
  13. David French

David French Member

Not really, as I know that once again Kermit is breaking the fourth wall, just like he regularly did on the Muppet Show.
  14. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

No, not really, I don't even think "Well, it's really my 30th time" when he says it. If anything I'm super jealous of the people who actually got to see it in the theater. I was too little (a baby!).
  15. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

*runs into the thread* DID SOMEONE SAY MONTY PYTHON? *clings to John Cleese*

To be honest... I've only seen GMC like, three times so the line doesn't bother me. I'm sure if I watched it more often it would get annoying, though. It's like at the end of "Scrooged" when Bill Murray is trying to get the audience to sing along, except that he expects the people he's talking to are sitting in a large theatre, not at home. (I love Bill Murray, btw, so don't think I'm trying to knock him or anything)
  16. heralde

What behind the rabbit? It is the rabbit!

Very true, it's exactly like that, lol. It's cute but more effective under the proper conditions.
  17. Beauregard

Oh yes! Or like Elmo in Emlo in Grouchland expecting people to be in a cinema, when he gets everyone to participate, such as blowing raspberries. I always found it weird that he talked as if to a whole crowd when I was the only one watching. (Not that I'd ever watch that movie by myself...obviously...I'm not that sad...*ahem*) But I suppose maybe he is talking to everyone watching all over the world...at the same time.
  18. heralde

Heh, it also reminds me of the live action Peter Pan movie (the one that starred Mary Martin) where Peter Pan asks everyone in the audience to clap so Tinker Bell won't die. As a kid I was always too afraid not to clap, just in case it really did happen! ;)
  19. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

Or in that one Care Bears movie where---

Wait. Just typing this out is too ridiculous. I have to stop. :insatiable:
  20. heralde

Oh yeah that scene, actually I was always too embarrassed to do that one, lol.