1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Gender Option Suggestion

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by furryredmonster, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Is there any possible way there could be an option where we can show our gender? Everyone is getting mixed up and stuff.

Thanks,
    FRM

2. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

This thread was started awhile ago to let members answer that question.

3. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

Yes I've seen that thread and I've stated my gender in it (male).
    However I can't see anything wrong with having a gender display option on our posts. Besides for one thing no gender thread could solve the problem so simply.
    Not everybody would find the thread to contribute to or refer to in a hurry necessarily. And some may not even bother with it so it may slowly disappear from the immediate pages as other threads came to be used.
    So I would gladly support this idea for one.

4. AbbessBryony

AbbessBryony New Member

Same here; besides, I'm sure that there's others besides me that are wondering about the gender of a member.

5. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I'll agree, it would be helpful.

6. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

PM a moderator,to get the ball rolling.

7. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

No! You PM a moderator!

*Sticks out tongue and pushes JaniceFerSure into a bush and runs away :p

8. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

i think of you all as sissy girls anyway

no but seriously i like the idea

9. So I should pm a moderator?

10. Kimp the Shrimp

11. LoL shouldn't I mail an admin? Or a mod? I am confuzzled...

12. But Pm who? that is what I am trying to say lol

13. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I would love that! Then no more people would think I'm a boy! But what would I do with all these "I thought Sgt FLoyd Was a Boy" T-Shirts, lol ;) just kidding. Really, its a great idea

14. Kimp the Shrimp

i pm'd Fozzie Bear and Philip Chapman

ow that hurt

15. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

As long as it remained an option, and not something mandatory. People should be allowed some anonymity if they so choose.

16. Kimp the Shrimp

i full agree ms pepper

17. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

Voice of Dissent

I'm wholeheartedly against the idea of adding a gender tag to our IDs. I find this whole notion rather disturbing. Why exactly does anyone want to know? Unless you're using Muppet Central as a kind of dating service, I can't see how knowing male or female is useful. One of the beauties of the internet is that no one else can be sure if you're male or female (or of one color or another, of one nationality, etc.), and they have to read your words as is.

Would people read my posts differently thinking I was a female than they would thinking I was a male?

Yes, most people WOULD read my posts differently, not because we're bigots or otherwise bad people but just because gender expectations and reactions are so deeply burned into us that they hurt us before we even know they're there.

But right now, people CAN'T do that on Muppet Central. They might assume I'm one or the other, but they can't dismiss something I write because "she's just a woman" or "it's just like a man to say that!" (and attitudes like that are stuck deep inside most of us whether we'd ever consciously use those words or not).

18. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I think it would be useful just to know an appropriate reaction. I like to say "man" a lot. Like; "That's cool, man!" But I don't wanna' say that if the user was female so I didn't insult her. I also agree that it needs to be an option and not mandatory. And DTWolf, I think it's very narrow minded to lump everyone into your idea that reactions towards the sexes is something we all have. Speak for yourself, and don't pretend to know all of us. :attitude:

19. I don't see a problem with people knowing if your male or female DTWolf. And if you do not like the option then do not use it. But the vast majority would like this option.

20. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I sent a PM to one of my forum friends, I won't say who it was out of respect, but I just asked him to please not be offended but I like to know the gender of my specially close forum friends. I did add however that if he didn't want to tell me I would understand as long as he wasn't upset about my asking in the first place.
    And he did PM me back and said he was male. So some of us may like to know whether our friends are men or women. It doesn't have to mean any sort of attempted Muppet Central matchmaking. But as true friends we should respect each others wishes for privacy and understand each other even if friends only share their genders in PMes.
    That's the reason why the gender display must be only an option as well.