Getting Swamped

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Piggy tried to still the frantic fluttering of her heart. The closer the train got to Kermit’s hometown, the more nervous she became.
“This is silly,” Piggy thought, trying to quell her agitation. “I’ve met Kermit’s family before.” But this time is different, her mind prompted. Before, you were coming from another world—now you’re coming to be a part of theirs. That felt more than daunting—it felt impossible. At that precise moment, Kermit turned from the window and smiled at her, squeezing her gloved hand. Suddenly, everything seemed possible.
“Five minutes,” Kermit said. “I can almost smell the swamp!”
Charming, thought Piggy, but she refrained from comment. Instead, she smiled back at her new husband shyly and returned the pressure of his hand.
Something about her stillness made Kermit pause. He looked at her while she dropped her gaze and played with her handkerchief.
“Don’t be nervous,” he said gently. “Everything’s going to be fine.”
Piggy raised her eyes at last. “But—but what if they don’t like me?”
“Don’t be silly,” said Kermit. “They’re going to love you.” Impulsively, he gave her a sweet little peck on the cheek, and Piggy felt immediately better.
“Yes, Kermie,” she said. “Whatever you say.”
Kermit froze in place and gave her a suspicious look. “Who are you?” he asked. “And what have you done with my real wife?”
“Don’t be ridiculous!” Piggy snapped, bristling immediately. “Can’t I be nice?”
Very nice,” Kermit murmured, “but I don’t want you to be anything but yourself while you’re here.”
“But I want them to like me,” Piggy almost wailed, revealing her deep-seated insecurities.
“I like you enough for everybody, Mrs. The Frog. So stop trying to be a Stepford pig and just be the beautiful, talented, cantankerous, high-maintenance woman I married. Got it?”
“High maintenance!” Piggy cried. “I’ll show you high maintenance! Just for that, you’re carrying my luggage.”
Carry it?” Kermit laughed. “I can’t even lift it!”
Piggy just stared at him, her mouth dropping open in surprise. “Oh!” she said, “You are so—“
Kermit pulled her into his arms and kissed her like he meant to do it right, quashing Piggy’s protest with unilateral action. Unilateral action changed to bilateral action as Piggy but her pique (and her lips) to good use. They broke apart at last.
“Better?” Kermit asked, his expression bemused.
“Yes,” Piggy admitted grudgingly. Darn the man, er, frog, anyway!
“Good,” said the prodigal son, pulling her after him into the aisle of the train. “Cause there’s plenty more where that came from. Just remember I love you, and everything will be okay.”

Despite his bravado, the sight of some 357 frogs all peering at them with undisguised interest as they descended the steps of the train gave Kermit pause. He’d never gotten this kind of reception before. Then again, he’d never brought home a glamorous lady pig who just happened to be his wife before. He scanned the sea of faces, picking out brothers and sisters and several scores of nephews and nieces. There was one face he’d expected to see—hoped to see, at least—but he didn’t. Inwardly, Kermit sighed.
“Um, hi ho everyone!” Kermit called cheerily. “It’s great to be home.” He turned and offered Piggy a hand down the steps. Seven-hundred and sixteen eyes watched her silver and Lucite high heels tink-tink delicately down the steps.
“Wow!” said one of the little boys. “They look like race cars!” He was promptly shushed by several adults and disappeared from view. Piggy looked up, and her blue eyes were wide.
“Um, hello everybodee!” she said. Kermit could almost feel her pulling her performance armor around her, and wished she would just relax. “It was so nice of you to meet us at the station.” Immediately, despite the attempts of the adults to restrain them, the tide of young frogs surged around them carrying them away from each other. Piggy looked to Kermit, momentarily panicked, but watching Kermit’s flustered but gentle reaction to the many small hands and numerous high-pitched voices made her eyes soften. For just a moment, she could see them surrounded by a large brood of bouncing baby—
“Ma’am! Ma’am!” said a small insistent voice somewhere in the vicinity of her kneecap. Piggy looked around for a moment before she identified the speaker. It was a little girl, perhaps four, with a curly fringe of light hair. She was gazing at Miss Piggy with undisguised admiration. Piggy had never been completely comfortable with children, but she knew what to do with fans.
“Yes, dear,” she said, her head cocked attentively and her gaze very direct. “What did you want, sweetie?”
A hush fell over the crowd of little frogs and they cast each other excited looks. The little girl had fallen silent, paralyzed by excitement.
“Go on, CeeCee!” someone hissed.
“Yeah, ask her!”
“C’mon, CeeCee—don’t be such a pollywog!
The speaker rallied at the insult. “I am NOT a pollywog!” she cried disdainfully. She squared her slim shoulders and looked straight back at Miss Piggy almost defiantly.
“Um, are you really married to Uncle Kermit?”
Piggy blinked and blushed a little. “Um, yes,” she said, looking at Kermit. “We got married about two months ago.”
“You’re very pretty,” said CeeCee shyly. “I like your hair.”
“Well how nice of you to say so, CeeCee.” Always call them by name, Piggy thought automatically. “You have some very nice curls yourself.” CeeCee gawped and stammered “thank you” almost inaudibly.
This is easy, Piggy thought giddily. Girl stuff is easy.
“Um, can I hold your hand while we walk back to the swamp?”
“Of course,” Piggy said, over an absolute chorus of protests from the other little frogs. They were all clamoring to hold onto her. Normally, the press of a crowd made Piggy antsy, strung with nervous energy, but then the crowds she usually found herself in were full of strangers and paparazzi. There were no cameras here, she thought ruefully. And no strangers. Just…family. She looked across at Kermit, who was struggling to hold at least fourteen small webbed hands himself. As if sensing her gaze, Kermit looked up. Their eyes met for a long moment as they smiled at each other. Kermit’s right, Piggy thought simply. Everything’s going to be okay.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Yep--I'm at it again. This one happens after my story Somebody's Getting Married, after the post-production of TMTM. THis is the visit Kermit promised his mother, and their first visit to the swamp as a married couple.
(Thanks to Leyla for title help!)

theprawncracker

Reaction score
OH RU!!!! I loooooooooove it!!! It's SO ushy gushy!! Well, this IS you we're talking about...Of course it's ushy gushy! :stick_out_tongue: It was all so AWESOME! I love the plot behind it and everything! But especcially this part:
Ruuuuuu!! said:
Kermit froze in place and gave her a suspicious look. “Who are you?” he asked. “And what have you done with my real wife?”
“Don’t be ridiculous!” Piggy snapped, bristling immediately. “Can’t I be nice?”
Very nice,” Kermit murmured, “but I don’t want you to be anything but yourself while you’re here.”
“But I want them to like me,” Piggy almost wailed, revealing her deep-seated insecurities.
That last line had me on the floor laughing!! I LOVE it!! Now I just have to get back to Kermie's Girl...:halo:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... We're just waiting for the author to get back there too Ry.

J/K Ru... This is a good start... It is a start? Or is it just a short story?
In either case, I expect Layla to be here quoting in a few minutes.

There are some good passages here, stuff I liked, will post later though.
And I wasn't sure at first, but yes, it ties in after Somebody's Getting Married quite well.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
The Count said:
This is a good start... It is a start? Or is it just a short story?
Yes--this is the visit that Kermit promised his Mother at the wedding reception. Will everything go well? Will Piggy fit in? Who's going to carry her luggage? Well, we'll see, won't we?

The Count said:
And I wasn't sure at first, but yes, it ties in after Somebody's Getting Married quite well.
Oh--thanks, Ed. Actually, there's more of that one bubbling around in my brain, too, but it's only about half-written. It involves a certain scene that Kermit was reluctant to film in TMTM....

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... You're not going to quit till you make each and every one of us blush.
*That may not be such a bad thing though, depending on the context... *Wink*
Looking forward to whatever else lies in store for the honeymooning couple down in the swamps of Leland, but I know you'll have us reading like mad.

Good night to thee... *Turns off light and goes to sleep also.

green stuff

Reaction score
OHHHH! This story is just so...so CUTE!! The way that you described how all the young frogs wanted to hold Kermit and Piggy's hands- that is exactly what my nieces and nephews are like when I visit in my hometown.. priceless. And oh! Piggy being worried that Kermit's family wouldn't like her..I actually felt nervous for her! This story is wonderful so far- wait, I can say so far, right? There's more, right? If there is, then I can't wait! *holds breath and tries to contain self*

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Piggy put on her hat once they cleared the station, and it’s wide brim and trialing ribbons generated considerable awe in the children. Over the tops of many bobbing heads, Kermit introduced her to several brother and sisters. Piggy recited the names in her mind like a mantra…Kendra, Onslo, Marianne, Stewart, Brian, Matthias, Lynette, Denise, Logan, Elizabeth, Edward. Every face was different, but there was no help matching names to clothes. It was not uncommon for Piggy to find herself the best dressed person in a group, but she was unaccustomed to being the only dressed person in a crowd. She felt oddly indecent.
And it was both thrilling and strange to recognize Kermit’s familiar features so plainly stamped on other faces, to hear Kermit’s phrasing and intonation dropping from different lips. Piggy smiled and nodded, her mind whirling as she tried to commit names an faces to memory while dealing simultaneously with dozens of small nephews and nieces as they talked, asked about a billion questions and tugged on her hands and dress. Her gloves were commented on, her shoes re-admired, her pearls oohed and ahhed and murmured over in detail. Under normal circumstances, Piggy would have played shamelessly to this attentive an audience, claiming the admiration that was her just due, but she was constrained by the memory of Kermit’s mother. No matter what the circumstances of their former meetings, Kermit’s mother had been gracious without being showy, gentle without seeming weak, always deferring the majority of the limelight onto her family. Piggy did her best to emulate that, but it was an odd fit and she hoped fervently that she would not disappoint Kermit. Please, she thought fervently. Just let me blend.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeay! Update!

And it works so well... So well, that you changed your sigline to quote this update. Very nicely done.
The names quoted above, those happen to be references?
Kendra: furryredmonster?
Brian: Princeton? If it's meant to be BEAR, his name is Bryan with a "Y".
Elizabeth: A certain Chicagoan nagger we know and miss?
Edward: Someone I should know?
Denise: Reference to Denise the Cow from Nicole (smiles)'s unfinished fanfic The First Time It Happens?
Stewart: Reference to Stewart Branden from Erin's fanfic A Little Knight Music?

Great stuff, hope for more soon.
43 fantistacabulous fanfictions!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Elizabeth, a Chicagan? Pardon? I'm sure some of these are nodds, (wouldn't exactly call this type of thing a refference), but I think most of them are original.
Yaaayyy, this story looks like it will be exciting! I love Kermit's family!