1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Getting the Jokes (Ten years later)

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Beauregard, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me...but as I walk through this world of ours, just doing normal every day tasks, I am suddenly hit now and then by the true hilariousness of old Sesame or Muppet jokes which I have only...just...got.

For example, I was talking about cowboys the other day, and mentioned, "The Lone Rider." And suddenly I laughed outloud, at the old SS characters, "Readers of the Open Range" because it suddenly made a whole lot more sense to me...whereas when I was 5, it was just cowboys who like to read.

There have been many more moments like this, when I realised that Bob Hope's cameo in TMM was actually funny, or when I realise that someone Kermit said once was actually very Risqué, or when I got the joke about Grasshoppers.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had these kinds of experiences with Sesame Street and the Muppets?

2. peyjenk

peyjenk Well-Known Member

Like you, as a kid, I just accepted all the wackiness and zaniness and took it for granted. It's only been in recent years, when I rewatched some of the movies or old episodes, that I have realized that these things are supposed to be silly or absurd. :)

There are several such moments in GMC: the Baseball Diamond, the running gag of the Murphy Bed, the conversation between the old couple in the house Piggy steals, Highbrow Street, "It's plot exposition, it has to go somewhere", the payment methods at the Happiness Hotel, "places to park your carcases" ("what's wrong with bus terminals?"), Piggy's breakdown and Kermit's on-camera coaching...

Man, what DID I get out of this movie as a kid? :confused:

3. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Oh definitely GMC had a ton of those moments, you are right Peyjenk! I watched that movie all the time when I was a kid and later on I'm like, ok, what did I actually enjoy here? Like when Gonzo is taking pictures at the supper club and the one guy is like "My wife IS at home" and Gonzo gets flustered and goes on to the next table. There really is alot that probably went over my five year old head.

There's alot of that kind of thing in TMM as well, though specifics escape me right now. The Hare Krishna thing comes to mind.

4. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Well-Known Member

yep- or how diry they can get

for example the rats in Muppet Treasure Island right before Jim and Long John have their conversation on the deck about stars and their fathers dying- those are naughty rats!

5. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

...of course it's just not the rats...

i'll never forget when i watched the Muppet Movie and it finally hit me what two of the scenes in Piggy's fanasies during Never Before were implying (ie the streetlamp and kissing out of sight below the grass)

6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

You know, I never thought they were implying anything. I'll have to watch the movie again soon and see if my mind changes when I watch the scene.

7. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Well-Known Member

NO! I just rememberd the worst ever

A very Merry Muppet Christmas- the part where they are making fun of moulin rouge (that itself was pretty funy) at the end of Piggys number (Santa Baby) she says to Kermit

"Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"
    Kermit: "SAY WHA?"

in french "Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" means "will you sleep with me tonight?" as in the song Lady Marmalade in Moulin Rouge. Now I got this right off the bat, and laughed really hard at it, but did YOU get that? I cant find an english version of that clip, but this is the song Im talking about if you dont remember (it was played ALL OVER a few years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoVeAGaO27I

8. peyjenk

peyjenk Well-Known Member

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Not quite the Muppet show... but I didn't get the Sesame Street character "I.M. Pig" for the longest time. And I'm sure kids who's parents aren't architect students wouldn't either.

10. Nekoshema

Nekoshema Well-Known Member

lol, yes. one that happened yesterday, when i was five i saw the muppet movie, and Fozzie [dressed as the bartender] said "drinks on the house" and everyone ran onto the roof. i found it funny as a kid, but watching it now that i'm 20, i understand what he ment and i just facepalmed, it was hilarious and painful all at once ;)

11. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Well-Known Member

Or how about in MTI when Piggy greets Long John Silver by calling him "Loonnnng John", obviously referring to a certain part of his anatomy?

(and it wasn't his leg)

-Kim

12. Super Scooter

Super Scooter Well-Known Member

I've posted some of my thoughts on this in the Cheeky Muppet Moments thread, but here's one (and this is technically off-topic):

In the Pirates of the Care-to-be-readin' episode of Sesame Street, one of the characters makes a statement that is something like "No chance in L."

But, yeah, The Great Muppet Caper and Muppet Treasure Island are filled with jokes I didn't get as a kid. Such as this painful, hidden gem from TGMC:

Scooter: Popcorn! Popcorn! (Looks at chicken) Popcorn, chicken?

HA! Popcorn chicken! That's hillarious! ... Well, not really, but it is the first time you realize it's supposed to be a joke.

13. Nekoshema

Nekoshema Well-Known Member

his hair? [lol, kidding]

yea, that's my sister's favourite movie and she noticed that a a few months back, i'm kinda shocked i didn't notice that, and they made that joke ;)

14. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

You remember when E & B were playing a counting game and when Bert says "I eight the sandbox" and Ernie says "how'd it taste, bert? (laughs)"? OMG! That was the funniest thing I ever heard in my life! seriously! I "eight" the sandbox! lol!

15. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

*stares*

*stares*

*stares* OH! I GET IT! Literally, life changing moment for me there, Scoot. I've never seen that as anything other than a quirky Muppet moment...Popcorn chicken...*laughing...a lot*

16. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

I have always felt rather silly for not getting "the telephone pole" bit until someone explained it to me, lol. :o

17. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Well-Known Member

Ooh, thought of one! Maybe it's just my dirty, adult mind vs. my innocent child mind, but when I was little, I never really thought too much about the pirates who are running for all of the gold during "Love Led Us Here" in MTI. There's a part that two of the pirates run towards each other in slow motion, then I think they end up hugging and throwing gold around. It just seems a lot less innocent and a lot more deliberate now than it did then... Anyone else think it's slightly off-colour? >: )

18. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Well-Known Member

I still don't get it.

19. Super Scooter

Super Scooter Well-Known Member

Fozzie's dressed as a telephone. He claims his name is "Mike Oznowitzki," a Polish name. Therefore, he is the telephone Pole.

Beauregard, I didn't get the popcorn chicken thing until about a month ago. Life-changing for me too, man!

20. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Well-Known Member

Oh. Thanks for explaining that for me. :):o