Giant Puppet for Ionesco's Rhinoceros

Foreignman

Reaction score
Hey hey everyone, I don't frequent this board much, in fact, I believe this is my first time ever posting within this section. I've come because I need help and creative input in creating a gigantic rhinoceros puppet. This March the United Nations School (which I attend) will be performing Ionesco's Rhinoceros for which our director would like to create a huge rhinoceros puppet. The director has said he was inspired by the huge puppets in New York City's Halloween day parade, I'm not sure what he's talking about. He doesn't want it to be a full body puppet, but much larger, operated by one or more, I'm thinking along the lines of the giant puppets from Disney's "Tapestry of Dreams" parade in Epcot Center. It would be so appreciated if anyone can enter their creative input, suggest ideas, or help in anyway to make this puppet a reality. Thanks.

Thijs

Reaction score
Sorry I can`t help yu, but I have to say that the first puppet I will make, will be a rhino. So, if it`s ready, I will show you. Rhino`s are my favourite animals.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
My shop has done alot of these giant puppets - the process is a little to involved to describe here but I would suggest taking a look at The Puppeteer's Co-Operative Homepage - it's the most comprehensive "how to" I've found on the net.

There is also a great book on Giant Puppets called "Big is Beautiful" by Fran Dowie and Louise Glennie. You can find it in some libraries or buy it through the bookstore of The Puppeteers of America. The PofA Bookstore may have additional resources for you as well.

For more inspiration you can also check out the website of Superior Concept Monsters (they did the parade you are referring to I think) and Michael Curry Design who designed "Lion King" and most of the giant puppets used by Disney these days.

bernie

Reaction score
Giant puppets

You might also try getting in contact with a local Renaissance fair. I have seen performers with giant dragons and knights at a couple of different ones (CO and MN) and someone might be able to give you some pointers.

--Bernie

Foreignman

Reaction score
Thanks Buck-Beaver, Tommie, and Bernie for your response. Buck-Beaver, your advice was a whole lot of help, I wrote letters to the places you suggested and just got a fantastic letter back from Superior Concept Monsters. It looks like the may even send a representative to help us out! Thanks again everyone!