Gilda and the Construction Crew: "A Gilda Construction Story"

Convincing John

Reaction score
Well, folks, it's time for yet another "Gilda Construction Story".

Picture if you will, the garden and picnic table next to a garden (this is the same place from the "Okay, Rinse" story). At this point in time, all the pieces of the statue were still apart and unpainted.

Well, I did this part of the construction of the statue in the backyard of my parents' house. The backyard is pretty well closed off, so I had a lot of privacy to work.

Well, anyway, it was this past June when my parents decided to have some new siding and shingles put on the house. That was okay with me, since the construction crew worked on the front of the house, and I always went out the back door. They didn't even see me most of the time.

Well, one day, the sliding door got stuck that led out to the backyard. No problem, I thought. I'll just carry everything I need out the front door and walk around the house.

And so, I gathered up stuff I'd needed and walked out the front door to where the construction work was going on. I had two garbage bags (to protect the picnic table) some water, and some paintbrushes I carried outside. The construction crew knew my parents, so they knew who I was. We exchanged good mornings and I went to the backyard.

But I needed more stuff.

As I made my next trip, I carried out some acrylic paints, some glue and some rubber gloves (to protect my hands...that glue is tricky to work with). I bumped into the construction guy again.

"Nice weather we're havin, eh?"
"Yeah, it's hot, but not bad."

And so, I went to the backyard with that stuff. But I needed more!

I've already mentioned that I needed to film this stuff, so I brought out the camcorder. We waved as I passed by him to the backyard.

Now, the next trip out the front door, the guy was on a ladder, and didn't see me carrying out a pair of disembodied mannequin arms. I came back, and then brought out Gilda's legs, which did not come apart very well. I could only really carry them connected, and Gilda had her red shorts on. So, there I was, weaving through sawhorses and various Biff and Sully apparel with half a Gilda in my arms. As I walked past, the construction guy was in the middle of singing as he worked. I heard his voice trail off as I walked on past.

But I still needed more stuff!

The next trip, I brought out Gilda's torso, wrapped halfway up in a pillowcase..."Scuse me, just gotta get through..." You shoulda seen that construction guy's face!:big_grin:

And THEN, I needed to make the last trip, which consisted of a non-stick glass pan, that held Gilda's shoulders. It also held her hands, which were hanging over the sides...and the face was in the middle!

Now, I walked out, and I became the focus for all three construction workers as I passed by, with Gilda's mask-like face smiling up at them as they squinted at her from the roof.

And so, there I was, working and humming merrily like a Smurf as I mixed the paint for Gilda's legs. And three very bewildered construction workers stared at me from the roof as they looked at the statue chunks all over the picnic table. :big_grin:

So now, I was all ready. I switched on the camcorder just as my mother was coming out of the house to hang out the laundry. I heard one of the construction workers ask her "What is he DOING?" So she explained, and a sudden look of comprehension came across his face. He spread the word to the rest of the crew as I, in Uncle Deadly fashion, waved at them with one of Gilda's detatched hands. I couldn't help doing that Uncle Deadly thing! lol! :big_grin:

As my work progressed, I had to carry Gilda through the construction site a few more times. At one point, Gilda had one arm and hand attatched, and as I carried the torso, I felt like I was carrying the torso of C3PO from the Empire Strikes Back! (And no, I didn't have her head on backwards at one point)! lol!

Tune in again soon for another "Gilda Construction Story"!

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Speaking of the C3PO reference, a lot of people probably already know this, but right before Chewbacca switches Threepio off, he says:

"Only an overgrown mophead like you would be stupid enough..."

Some people for years thought Threepio said "overgrown Muppet"! LOL! Well, I guess Chewie IS kind of an overgrown Muppet...

More Gilda news coming soon, folks. Stay tuned! :smile:

Convincing John