Gluing Technique Help!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Rubber latex is available at most art and craft supply stores. It's usually sold as a mold-making supply. It's not the same as foam latex, which is what is often used for special effects make up and animatronics and is harder to find.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Getting Started

I have ben attempting to use ping pong balss for eyes. I read some where that that was what Jim Henson used at first to make his first puppets. The trouble I am having is attaching them to the head, and getting them to look more natural. I was wondering if any one has any suggestions.

Thank you

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Eyes

Gang I am using Ping Pong Balls for eyes, I red that that was what Jim First ues and well they are working all right. I am trying to figure out how to create a blinking device does any one have a tips or tricks that are helpful.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I've heard of several different types of contact cement that people are using to glue foam to foam. Now I have only ever used weldwood contact cement mostly because of its availability but I find it hard to keep the glued joints together for as long as it takes to cure so they don't come apart. The glue holds wonderful at first but then I leave it and come back latter to find that many of the joints are starting to come apart. The heat separates them but even just the pressure of a joint can pull em apart. Is there a better glue I can use? something that bonds instantly like weldwood? I've heard people use barge. I realize all contact cements fumes are bad but I've heard barge is the worst.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I've heard of several different types of contact cement that people are using to glue foam to foam. Now I have only ever used weldwood contact cement mostly because of its availability but I find it hard to keep the glued joints together for as long as it takes to cure so they don't come apart. The glue holds wonderful at first but then I leave it and come back latter to find that many of the joints are starting to come apart. The heat separates them but even just the pressure of a joint can pull em apart. Is there a better glue I can use? something that bonds instantly like weldwood? I've heard people use barge. I realize all contact cements fumes are bad but I've heard barge is the worst.

Iokitek

Reaction score
do you press the foam parts you're glueing together? I use Bisonkit myself. It's just a standard brand here. But it works fine with me.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Yes I do press the peices together. Although one would think with "contact cement" you wouldn't have too. Still yes I do because if I didn't the two pieces would simply fall completely apart. Weldwood works pretty much but I'm planning on making lots of puppets so I don't really have the time to let a puppet sit till I find out if it has cured with all the seams closed or not.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Couple of things...

1. Make sure the contact cement you're using is supposed to be used on foam rubber (if in doubt call or email the manufacturer)

2. You shouldn't press the pieces of foam together until the glue has tried to a point where it's tacky to touch, but none comes off in your hand. This usually takes anywhere from 3 - 15 minutes depending on temperature and humidity. If you do this properly the pieces should bond on contact.

3. Don't use glue at temperatures above 35 degrees and below 10 degrees (celsius)

Iokitek

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
2. You shouldn't press the pieces of foam together until the glue has tried to a point where it's tacky to touch, but none comes off in your hand. This usually takes anywhere from 3 - 15 minutes depending on temperature and humidity. If you do this properly the pieces should bond on contact.
so I've been doing it wrong :stick_out_tongue: no wonder I have to press it together so long and hard. Another day. Another lesson learned.