Going to New Mexico episodes

mikebennidict

Reaction score
here's what i rememeber from that week long series. as i said before Luis' family lived there in the country. the cast drives out there in a pick up truck wich means most of the cast rides in the back of it. thos who went along with Luis were Maria, Bob, Gordon, and Buffy. can't rememebr if he had any brothers or sisters though his grandparent were still alive. his grandmother showed everyone how she milked a cow, a few funny moments, Luis and his grandfather where going off somewere to borrow some nails for the house and Bob and Gordon wanted to come with and wanted to drive there but Luis said you can only take horses. they Bob and Gordon aked to ride a horse and some some reason the 2 of them tried to go instead of Luis and his Grandfather. can't rememebr the reason for that. well this girl named Buffy, not Buffy St. Marie but the young girl maybe it was Luis' niece was to go with Bob and Gordon and she ended up leaving with out them because their horse wouldn't go. another 1 was were Maria was working on the roof of either the garage or a shed and the telephone rings. no one else is around so Maria has to get down and get the phone and it was the count. she asks how are things back home and so forth. well knowing the count he has to keep calling just to count the phone calls he makes. 3rd time she comes down from the roof, picks up the phone and the minute she picks up that phone says Count! good thing that was him and nobody else. Bob and some kids came in and say Maia i thought you were working on the roof. she says i was but i'm waiting for a very important phone call. yeah right. last segment i rememeber Oscar wanted to try some kind of food that Luis & Maria were eating, some small red type of food wich was hot and i think too hot to eat. but Oscar ate them. anyhow. he claimed they were hot but after eating a few of them, he goes into his can and says yeeeoooooow! you figure what happened. that's about all i rememebr from the show.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i don't know how many of you read the other SS board here and my info on Emillio DelGado but i mentioned there typing his name up i found on some site unless it's a big mistake or at some point he and or his family moved he was born in Calexcio CA witch apparently on the Mexican border. unless what i mentioned is possible i don't understand why they would make up he was from New Mexico even though SS is a TV show and the cast is actors and actresses playing characters like other TV shows.

Censored

Reaction score
Some of the funniest parts of the New Mexico episodes were from the first one where they prepare for the trip. Luis talks to his family, decides to go, and asks others if they want to go with him. The Count encourages everyone to go, so he will have a lot of people to count as they leave. Susan can't leave because of her job, but Gordon (being a school teacher) is off for the summer. They discuss the pros and cons of his leaving without her. Gordon says, "Won't you miss me?" The Count (anxious to have another person go) yells something like "No, she won't!" Maria is going, but David is staying because he has to study for his law classes. David tells Luis to "Take care of that girl! I love her!" The climax of the episode was when Biff and Sully accidentally load Oscar's can on the truck. Oscar was looking forward to a peaceful week with a lot of people gone, but he wound up having to go himself. The ones who went were Luis, Maria, Gordon, Bob, Big Bird, and Oscar. Buffy was already in New Mexico to greet them. Then, for the rest of the week, each episode started by showing the gang traveling in Luis' truck while the cast sang the Sesame Street theme song with different lyrics. It went something like "On our way. Headed to Santa Fe...We're a long, long, long, long, long, long way from Sesame Street." In my opinion, New Mexico was the best of all the traveling episodes and Noggin really missed the boat (or the truck) by not including it.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Does anyone have those episodes? I've been looking all over for those certin episodes. Isn't there a part where Oscar's can gets used as a Basket Ball Goal?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
what i also wonder did they really ride in the back of Luis' pick up all the way from NY to New Mexico? i don't have any reason to doubt it though it seem strange to have everyone ridding in the back for such a long distance especially if it rains.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Some of the funniest parts of the New Mexico episodes were from the first one where they prepare for the trip. Luis talks to his family, decides to go, and asks others if they want to go with him. The Count encourages everyone to go, so he will have a lot of people to count as they leave. Susan can't leave because of her job, but Gordon (being a school teacher) is off for the summer. They discuss the pros and cons of his leaving without her. Gordon says, "Won't you miss me?" The Count (anxious to have another person go) yells something like "No, she won't!" Maria is going, but David is staying because he has to study for his law classes. David tells Luis to "Take care of that girl! I love her!" The climax of the episode was when Biff and Sully accidentally load Oscar's can on the truck. Oscar was looking forward to a peaceful week with a lot of people gone, but he wound up having to go himself. The ones who went were Luis, Maria, Gordon, Bob, Big Bird, and Oscar. Buffy was already in New Mexico to greet them. Then, for the rest of the week, each episode started by showing the gang traveling in Luis' truck while the cast sang the Sesame Street theme song with different lyrics. It went something like "On our way. Headed to Santa Fe...We're a long, long, long, long, long, long way from Sesame Street." In my opinion, New Mexico was the best of all the traveling episodes and Noggin really missed the boat (or the truck) by not including it.
the New Mexico shows would have to have gone back to at least 1976 if not 1977 and certainly not before because to my understanding Buffy 1st came on in 76. i wonder if that was her very 1st SS episode? i could rememebr exactly how she got on the show. all i rememeber is seeing her sometimes on the SS set by herself and Sheldon and her son Dekota who was usually called Cody. saw her a few times after the Hawaii episode and that was it. also what's interesting about the New Mexico episode is i think it was repeated a year or 2 after it originally aired because the Hawaii episdoes were from 1978 and i rememebr seeing the NM ones the 2nd time after that. i probably wouldn't of rememebred those if they weren't repeated. i rememeber seeing the Hawaii episdes repeated again in 79 or 80 as well.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The New Mexico shows were produced and aired in 1975.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
on the way to Santa Fe

Seems to me I remember Susan went with Gordon. They ended up sleeping in a tent and sharing a sleeping bag. They got into an argument over the other one hogging all the blankets, when Oscar pops up between them. How he got in there was beyond me. :grouchy:

Does seem eerily prophetic of David telling Luis "Take care of Maria. She's my girl." Oh, what would happen a decade later..., oh dear!

Censored

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Seems to me I remember Susan went with Gordon. They ended up sleeping in a tent and sharing a sleeping bag. They got into an argument over the other one hogging all the blankets, when Oscar pops up between them. How he got in there was beyond me. :grouchy:

That definitely didn't happen on the New Mexico episodes. Susan had to stay home because of her job as a nurse, but Gordon could go because he was off from his job.

Censored

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Does seem eerily prophetic of David telling Luis "Take care of Maria. She's my girl." Oh, what would happen a decade later..., oh dear!
Yeah, David should have seen the handwriting on the wall early on. Luis and Maria went on trips together, worker together, spoke the same languages, became business partners, and good friends. It was only a matter of time. :smile: