Going to New York

Jinx

Reaction score
I just found out that I'm going to New York next week! So of course I'm wracking my brain trying to think of any and all puppetry destinations in Manhattan (apart from the patently obvious Ave. Q). Any suggestions?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
You could go to 205 E. 67th St. and see where the Henson brownstone used to be. (I think that's the right address... it's the right block, anyway and it was on the north side of the street.)

:stick_out_tongue:

BabyScooter

Reaction score
congrats! Hmm.. can't think of anything I have never been to new york. But still congrats on being able to go have fun!:wink: :smile:

:sleep: waldorf wake up!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I was supposed to leave for NY tomorrow to teach a puppetry workshop in Brooklyn, but nobody signed up! (boooo!) so I had to cancel my flight today...I'm a little extra jealous of you right now.

Anyway,

Josh and Tamra are based out of NY. Blending improvised theater and puppetry...

There's also the sweedish cottage in central park. One of our puppeteers left us in Phoenix for the big city life in NY. (I think he's building puppets for them now?) Anyway, if you head out there, ask if Doug Strich is around He's a nice guy. Then tell him I said hello. He might not be nice after that. :wink:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Puppetworks In Parkslope Brooklyn, its a 30 minute subway ride on the F

The "F" Train stops at Seventh Avenue (Brooklyn), 6 blocks from PUPPETWORKS. It's a pleasant walk 5 blocks north to 4th Street and 1 block west to 6th Avenue. We're at 338 Sixth Avenue (across 6th Avenue, at the corner on your left).

338 Sixth Avenue (at 4th Street)
BROOKLYN, NY

Reservations are required(well suggested, unless its raining then you really will need them the theatre fills up quick in bad weather ): call 1-718-965-3391
or e-mail us at puppetworks@verizon.net

Public shows on the weekend, 1230 and 230 pm

Jinx

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll try to make sure I get to take those in!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Ok this has very little to do with New York, but you'd mentioned that you were going to go see Avenue Q and I just saw the touring show yesterday in Tucson. *giggle*

I'm hoping I can count it as a write-off since all but two of my puppet shows are for adults. It's research, right?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Ok this has very little to do with New York, but you'd mentioned that you were going to go see Avenue Q and I just saw the touring show yesterday in Tucson. *giggle*

I'm hoping I can count it as a write-off since all but two of my puppet shows are for adults. It's research, right?
You may have been kidding, but it absolutely is research and you can write it off. I work as a writer in Hollywood and every movie I see is considered research. I have to know what is happening in the marketplace to be able to stay competitive.

Even if you weren't doing adult puppet shows, it would still be a deductible expense because you need to see what is successful. Maybe seeing it would inspire you to do an adult puppet show.

Anyway, I've been audited before and they argued with me that some of it has to be purely entertainment. I argued that while I may be entertained as a consequence, it's still a business expense because I have to see current entertainment to stay relevant in the marketplace. I won the argument and my deductions were allowed. The only one they disallowed was the daily newspaper, saying it was just too generic to be relevant. Now, if I had been writing jokes for Jay Leno, I would have argued that one, too.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I was half-joking, but hopeful that it was indeed allowed.

So far I think my deductions far outweigh my income this year. Puppet Rampage helped with that. But it was all sooo worth it.

spcglider

Reaction score
You may have been kidding, but it absolutely is research and you can write it off. I work as a writer in Hollywood and every movie I see is considered research. I have to know what is happening in the marketplace to be able to stay competitive.

Even if you weren't doing adult puppet shows, it would still be a deductible expense because you need to see what is successful. Maybe seeing it would inspire you to do an adult puppet show.

Anyway, I've been audited before and they argued with me that some of it has to be purely entertainment. I argued that while I may be entertained as a consequence, it's still a business expense because I have to see current entertainment to stay relevant in the marketplace. I won the argument and my deductions were allowed. The only one they disallowed was the daily newspaper, saying it was just too generic to be relevant. Now, if I had been writing jokes for Jay Leno, I would have argued that one, too.

Being a special effects guy for a living allows me to basically write off any movie I see as well, but we don't. If I ever need to pull some deductions out of my behind when we're doing taxes, I can always fall back on that.

-G