Golden Globes - What's the Point?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, it's almost time for the annual overkill of award shows and ceremonies to plague our TV sets for the next couple of months or so, and of course, the Golden Globes are coming up right now, but when I think about it, I find myself asking myself... what exactly is the point of the Golden Globes?

I mean let's look at this: we've got the Emmys for television shows and specials, we've got the Oscars for films and movies, we've got the Grammys for music... then the Golden Globes are basically for all of those in one ceremony... so really, I mean, what's the point? If each of those mediums have their own individual awards, do we really need another one to umbrella over ALL of them? Or is it all some sort of a subliminal conspiracy to continue to force us to watch the stars strut their stuff and show off their assets in the kind of wardrobe I'm not even sure Piggy would kill for? I mean, wouldn't it all be much simpler for those involved (like the people being nominated, and the poor souls who have to coordinate and put these shows together) if we either eliminate the Golden Globes altogether since there's already individual awards for individual forms, or eliminate all the others (Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, etc) and just keep the Golden Globes only?

And while I think of it... why is it that country music seems to have award shows like every other month out of the year?

Puckrox

Reaction score
And it's gonna be fun to watch Ricky rip everyone apart yet again. :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There is no point to these "award shows" anymore. They're rigged beyond belief, you know the major stars are going to win regardless of talent, meanwhile genuinely gifted working actors will get the shaft. It's all about supporting the Hollywood mainstream industry and not whether a film is actually worthy of praise or not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's all about international markets for the film and how it's supposed to be more important than the Oscars... but yeah, Herald is correct... This one is fixed. So it's basically just buying Golden Globes.

But the one that REALLY is pointless to me... how come we have so many freaking Awards for Country Music?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Country music is a very smug, self-congratulatory genre, so it's no surprise that they'd leap at the chance to reward each other whenever they can get it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They're rigged beyond belief, you know the major stars are going to win regardless of talent, meanwhile genuinely gifted working actors will get the shaft.
Ah, but didn't Sofia Vergara actually LOSE the Emmy here recently? :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ah, but didn't Sofia Vergara actually LOSE the Emmy here recently? :wink:
Obviously someone has to lose in order for it to be a contest, but it's pretty much a guarantee that the winners will be the most visible stars. There's so much great talent out there and it will NEVER be honored on these "award shows." They're the equivalent of your High School drama club holding an awards show and giving them to the same four people over and over again (btw this actually happened in my drama club, heh). It's about popularity and, in the case of TV award shows, advertising the mainstream industry (i.e. the one that makes money).

Yorick

Reaction score
Country music is a very smug, self-congratulatory genre, so it's no surprise that they'd leap at the chance to reward each other whenever they can get it.
And the Country artists of the past wouldn't be too keen on the current crop of Country, in my opinion. I like classic Country, but not the new stuff...with very few exceptions. And if it's pop masquerading as country, you can bet I don't consider it country. Even if I don't dislike it, I'd say, "Let's call it what it is, please."

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of country music at all, but past country artists like Johnny Cash and Gram Parsons did record some songs that really influenced some of my favorite musicians (The Byrds, The Eagles, Bob Dylan). However, modern country is noxious trash. Most of the songs are only about what it means to be country and how people who aren't country are posers or something. I think you could listen to a modern country song by a female artist and a male artist and then you've heard it all.