Gonzo on Saturday Night

C'irdan

Reaction score
Just to let you know this reference has some inapropriate material, but since you're all pretty much adults I'll still post.

Last night I was watching Saturday Night Live, with the guy who plays Will from Will and Grace as the host (sorry I forgot the name!) and Jay Z with Lenny Kravitz and Beyonce Knowles as the musical guest (It was cool because the first song they played was a Cake song! Arco Arena with new lyrics and it wasn't that bad) but anyways on Weekend Update, Jimmy Fallon says (I'm paraphrasing here) Last week a man was charged with kidnapping a chicken, taking it to a local hotel, and having sex with it until it died. Police are all pointing to this man," And they showed a picture of GONZO with Camilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While this was obviously in horribly bad taste, it was relieving to see that the muppets have not been entirely forgotten with that crowd and that they still have the chance to make a comeback. I feel sorry for Gonzo, but I was jumping out of my seat when I saw him on the screen!:frown: :big_grin: :big_grin:

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
i saw that too! i agree that it was very unnecessary but it was interesting to see Gonzo on SNL. they should have Gonzo on weekend update next week complaining to jimmy and tina. :big_grin:

LadyHyde

Reaction score
Yes, it was in bad taste, but.....

We're talking about a guy that puts eels down his pants for comfort. :big_grin:

C'irdan

Reaction score
REALLY?

Wait? wasn't that Starfish down his pants from Muppet Treasure Island? or was that a different line?

LadyHyde

Reaction score
That was from a Muppets Tonight sketch called "Incredible Discoveries" where the punchline is "It hurts!"

Gonzo: If you put electric eels down your pants....

Rizzo: It hurts?

Gonzo: No, actually it feels pretty good.

Rizzo: Yeah, until they short out your pocket change!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by LadyHyde
We're talking about a guy that puts eels down his pants for comfort. :big_grin:
Jimmy Fallon? I knew it. Personally, I never watch SNL because it has gotten horrible lately. I mean, Dennis Miller (before his head grew to huge proportions and left the show to do annoying radio commercials) was MUUUUUCH funnier!

I remember another weekend update, long long ago, written in the SNL book a while back. The headline had movies getting pulled in Sweden, like ET because it had kids defying adults, and also, Hedi because it was a story about a little girl and an old man (forget the punchline to that) and the Muppet Movie because through out the entire film, a Miss Piggy performs with a man's hand insider her...you get it, right?

C'irdan

Reaction score
SNL

Yeah SNL really took a plunge after 2000, Cheri Oteri and Molly Shannon were gone, and they both really put a lot of energy into the show... but this year they realized that they have a ton of work to do now that Will Farrel is gone, so they've put some more energy into it with the new featured cast...also Ana Gasteyer needs to come back...but I can tell they are putting effort into it.:smile:

GWGumby

Reaction score
SNL. It ebbs and flows. However, watching reruns on Comedy Central, I see that some of the seasons that I didn't really like before, are actually quite good. Part of it is one's attitude towards the cast. Personally, I really like the current cast with the exception of Chris Kattan who just bugs me--unless he's reenacting someone getting hit by a bus. That's funny!

Anyway, the difference between watching a new episode and remembering the old ones, is that you remember the funny sketches and forget the forgettable ones. So when you're watching a new episode you tend to be more critical because it's not as funny as all the great sketches you do remember. It's important to remember that all those great sketches weren't in the same show.

If I could change anything though, and this goes for all sketch comedy, it would be to get rid of *all* re-occuring sketches and characters. Do it 2 or 3 times max, but once it becomes a run of catch-phrases it's already too old. I was watching a recent rerun of Dana Carvey hosting SNL doing his old "The Church Lady" bit and everyone was cheering and howling through the whole sketch. Why? Because he said "Isn't that special?" not because it was actually funny.

I feel sorry for all the past SNL alums like Kevin Nealon who probably have to live the rest of their lives having people come up to them on the street and say, "Hey do your line! Say 'Pump you up!'"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it really took a plunge after Adam Sandler left. But I got to admit, the first decade and most of the early to late 80's were my favorite. It's a tragidy about Phil Hartman. I hope his wife is rotting in H**L right now. Don't get me started!

LadyHyde

Reaction score
I personally think SNL's gotten better. That Gene Shalit thing makes me crack up every time.

"I'm just keed-ing!"