1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Gonzo puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Jonathan, May 31, 2004.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

Where could I get the materal to build a gonzo puppet, and how would I build it???? :concern:
  2. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

3. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

He has Awesome puppets
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

He made a very nice Audrey II puppet.
  5. thatonekid

thatonekid New Member

I think people should get creative and make their own original puppets. I honestly don't mean to offend anybody but I really don't like it when people make puppets that are supposed to look like an existing character. they always seem to bug me for some reason.

p.s. but that is a pretty cool gonzo ;)
  6. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

I'm looking to make one too, but I need some puppet patterns off the web to keep me for a while. HELP!!! :eek: :eek: :(
  7. bezalel

bezalel New Member

I built one...

Well, he's almost finished. I have to finish his arms, and then dress him. Actually, he's my first gonzo, so usually the first puppet I make of any character serves as my prototype. I'll make corrections in my design and build a second puppet as a final. Anyway, that being the case, I'll probably have this one up on E-bay by the end of the week.

I agree with "thatonekid" about making original characters, but how cool would it be to have a perfectly timed brief, silent cameo appearance of Gonzo the Great in a live puppet show. I think that would be awesome, like he just walks by in the background or something.

I just put up a couple of pics here - http://www.projectpuppet.com/gonzo

Of course he doesn't have arms yet, and he's naked (we all know gonzo always wears clothes), but he's coming along.
  8. Buck-Beaver

Uh-oh. Here we go again. :rolleyes:

First, it's a great likeness. The neck seems a little too wide but good all the same. Now at the risk of getting people all bent out of shape again, you do realize that ebay will likely yank the listing for an item like this. You're not really supposed to sell replica Muppets. It's against ebay's TOS and technically copyright infringement.

Great looking puppet though.
  9. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Yeah...

The neck is too wide...one of my design flaws. I do think that clothes will draw attention away from it in the prototype. The next gonzo's body will be built like the real gonzo.
  10. Luke

Luke Active Member

That is one great Gonzo likeness. The eyes and pupil positioning make him very expressionate. As Buck said though, it'd be unwise to Ebay this, especially after you just provided a photo of yourself with him. I can just imagine the 'wanted' posters stuck up around Disney World.

:eek:
  11. Buck-Beaver

That's right, I almost forgot about Disney. You don't want to mess with the mouse. They'll even sue small children! :eek: :eek:
  12. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Sorry guys...

Sorry guys. Next time I'll have my lawyers review my posts before I submit them. I was just speaking freely to others that I thought were Muppet fans as I am. Did I join a legal forum? I could have sworn I was on Muppet Central.
  13. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

You're taking it the wrong way. Most of us do make our own versions of the Muppets puppets, but what they say is true. Maybe just watch how you word your auction, i.e; personal home use, or something like that.

We're just trying to watch your back man! :D

P.S. he looks great! ;)
  14. Buck-Beaver

Touché :p

There's no need to be defensive Bezalel! We're all fans here. You're relatively new to the forum and may not be aware that there have been many, many puppets like these pop up over the years on ebay and in virtually every case they're delisted and you're also potentially exposing yourself to legal problems (unlikely but it happens once and awhile). It's just information. Do with it what you will.

While I don't personally agree with selling unlicensed replica puppets myself (that's just my personal position, not necessarily a judgement against anyone who does) if you did want to sell a Gonzo you might have more luck and fewer hassles selling it privately to a fan on here as some others have opted to do.
  15. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Great work there. Why not tell us how you did it? That would be awesome :)
  16. Iokitek

Iokitek New Member

Actually bezalel, there are some people here who worked with the Muppets. And to them it actually might be a personal thing. It would be to me too. They are not just fans but they were even personally involved with the creation of Gonzo perhaps. Copying someone elses stuff may be meant as a tribute to those people. But if you try to make money off of it then it's just wrong IMO. And IMO a TRUE Muppet fan would not do this.

Besides get a grip on yourself. Nobody means you any harm. They are trying to give you some advice so you might avoid getting into legal problems. Some people are actually that kind to others. You might want to try that too sometimes.

I agree with BorkBork that I'd like to see some more on how you built your Gonzo :)
  17. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

And IMO a TRUE Muppet fan would not do this.

I hate when people say stuff like this. It's just a bad thing to say. WHo are you to say what a TRUE fan is? The guy put a lot of hard work into the puppet and wants to sell it to someone that may not be able to put the same kind of work into their own puppet. As long as the puppet isn't in actual puppet shows, what is the real problem?
  18. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

I have one of those. A Gonzo puppet.
  19. buckshot

buckshot New Member

bezalel...that puppet looks great. i'll third the request to learn more on how you made him. very nice! :D
  20. Iokitek

Iokitek New Member

WiGgy:

Like I said, it's my opinion. I'm allowed to have one. Just like you are allowed to have one. I understand what you mean and can imagine all your different examples. But to me that doesn't change my opinion about this.

Besides , contrary to what you suggest, he is actually suggesting to use it in a puppet show as a cameo appearance if you hadn't noticed. Instead of discouraging the possible buyer to do this he's actually offering the idea. And then he also says that he's just building this Gonzo to test it out and then sell it on eBay. To me this seems wrong. IMO Instead of selling it he should either keep it for himself or donate it to someone. The person who buys this from him does not do so because they are looking for a puppet but actually for a muppet. Everyone knows this is true.

So the way I see it he's abusing someone elses name to sell his products. I guess that's the only way I can explain what my problem is with these transactions. We need to respect each others property. I think it's already bad enough that almost 90% of all puppets are almost identical to the muppet style. But again that's just one of my personal opinions that you should not take as a personal offense.

My advice is that if you wish to sell something then you should sell your own thing. You do not own the copyrights of other people's stuff. And besides, My personal opinion doesn't even matter anyway since there are laws for these kinds of situations. ;) That was actually more or less the point of my post.