Gonzo the Best Man

Princeton

Reaction score
I just got done re-taking all the MC trivia quizzes and they're just as much fun as they were when I first joined seven years ago! Anyway, one of the questions in the Muppets Take Manhatten quiz was who was Kermit's best man at the wedding and the answer was Gonzo. Now, admittedly MTM is probably the Muppet film I've seen the least amount of times, so this was a big surprise to me. I always felt that Fozzie was Kermit's best friend, so I wonder what went into the decision to make Gonzo the best man. How do you all feel about this part of the movie? Does it make sense to you or come completely out of left field?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, the trivia question answer is wrong. Gonzo was supposed to play the minister, until a real minister was brought in (upon seeing the minister, Kermit briefly whispers "I thought Gonzo was going to play the minister!", and the comic book adaptation actually has a scene where Gonzo says he found a minister).

Still, the wedding was part of a play, so even if Fozzie would be best man in real life, that doesn't mean he had to play the best man in the play. Though it seems there was no best man or lines of men and women (not sure what the actual titles are) to accompany the bride and groom. And considering they suddenly got a larger cast right before showtime, it's not like they couldn't have incorporated characters into those roles.