1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Gonzo's Species

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Koozbanian Foob, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Does anyone know if there is a name for Gonzo's Species from Muppets from Space? I'm looking for a name that might have appeared in the novelization, shooting script, etc.

Also, where can I get some still images of Gonzo's people and their vessel?

Thanks and great site!
  2. Agentflash Guest

Gonzo was an alien.
  3. beaker Well-Known Member

Actually Gonzo is not an alien, as MFS is not canon. He's still and forever will be a blue whats-a-ma-callit.

If you can count MFS as Muppet canon, than the Star Wars 1978 Christmas special and two Ewok films are Star Wars canon:rolleyes:
  4. Daffyfan2003 Active Member

That's not exactly true. Remember, Gonzo was shot from a cannon near the end of the movie.
  5. scarecroe Active Member

I'm going to half agree with you here Cory because of course the movie is intended as canon from JHC, but I too decide to disregard certain elements of the story.

We'd have had a much better film if the writers instead played up the idea that he *might* be an alien, and just when things were all coming together in the end, we learn that he's not an alien at all; that we still don't know exactly what his origins are, but we learn that what's really important is that Gonzo belongs with his Muppet family. Sounds mushy, but once upon a time, meaningful, heartfelt stories could be told and still taken seriously (unlike certain movies about going back to a swamp).

I can still hope and pray that the next Muppet film begins with Gonzo waking up from a horrible nightmare in which he discovered that he was born on another planet a la Bob Newhart... the concept that was done with Newhart's two shows, not that Newhart was born on another planet... not as far as I know :confused:
  6. WiGgY New Member

I agree. The point of the story should have been that even though Gonzo is different, he is excepted into a family of his own. I mean alien is so obvious. It would have been much better if they thought he was an alien all through the movie and then realize he's not. you could still have all that other stuff in the film. Maybe not the are u there stuff but the C.O.V.N.E.T. thing would have worked and the UFO mania live stuff too. Plus, after Gonzo was hit by lightning, all the message stuuf could have been incorporated. He was hit by lightning! Of course he went nuts!

That movie had potential but the cosmic fish stuff was too weird. It's like Gonzo wrote that part himself. (now I'm crazy :D )
  7. Skeeter Muppet Active Member

No, he didn't go nuts. You can't go someplace you're already at. ;)

-Kim
  8. Phillip Administrator

Don't forget about the MFS audio commentary with Gonzo, Rizzo, and Kermit. This gives some insight as to what was intended to be part of the film and what was "real" (at least in the Muppets world).
  9. WiGgY New Member

Kermit shows up in that commentary? I didn't watch the whole thing. I should watch the commentary though. lol when Gonzo told Rizzo to say Oy :D I loved that part.
  10. Daylight New Member

There's Muppet commentary on the Muppets From Space DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh for lack of money!!!!:(
  11. sarah_yzma Active Member

it's only 6.49 on wal-mart.com

at least it was!

Sarah
  12. Interesting...

I am quite torn to be honest. While I to think that Gonzo is best left unidentified, I also must say that I really liked MFS.

The reason I asked the question in the first place (aside from the idle curiousity that sometimes grips my twisted mind ;) ), is that I'm working on an RPG idea that sees an expanded "Pigs in Space" universe, with Pigs representing Human and other species as crew members (ala Mr. Spock, T'Pol and Phlox, etc.).

I thought it might be cool to include a member of Gonzo's species in the story.

Thanks for the dialouge and ideas!
  13. scarecroe Active Member

Hm, it's been a while since I watched the film with commentary. I'll have to watch again sometime soon.

Here's hoping they get Frank Oz -- who seems to enjoy doing commentaries -- for a MTM Special Edition. It would be nice to have James Frawley for TMM (what's he been doing since Ally McBeal?). The icing on the cake would be to have Jerry Juhl on all three of them.
  14. Stryder Wolfe New Member

Yeah, Gonzo confimrs that him being an alien IS real in the commentary on the DVD.

I still don't see the problem with this. INstead of being a whatever, he's a whatever from another planet...so what? Does it really ruin gonzo for you? He's still the same Gonzo as always...

for your RPG, you shoudl call gonzo's race the whatevers :D
  15. Actually...I was considering something along those lines :)
  16. WiGgY New Member

Well Gonzo isn't the same Gonzo we knew but it has nothing to do with MFS. Gonzo has really changed. The voice is definatly less annoying now. :D He also seems to be done with the physical performance art and is getting into the more artsie stuff. Remember "Bats" and of course the 12 days of Christmas in AVMMC. It's not a bad change. Seems logical really.

BTW. Does anyone else think the character of Luke Formage, or whatever his name is, would have been played better by say Robin Williams? That's who I pictured him as. I know Robin didn't play him but I I doubt people would have been annoyed with the character if he did.

Oh yeah! I also think Gonzo's species is "whatever". Turns out everyone was right when they called him that. :concern: :D
  17. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Well, here's how I look at it. And you all KNOW that I"m a freak about the chronology of the Muppets' story.

Looking back through time, seems there was a reference to outer space by Gonzo in TMS (but I don't truly remember), but he looked into deep space while singing "Going to Go Back There" and on the 'Unpigged' album he sang at "Jimmy's Buffet" about "Mr. Spaceman." All references throughout Gonzo's history points to outer space and going back, etc.

At the same time, he got his start as a Frackle.

Therefore, I figured there's some outerspace planet with Frackles on it that came to earth at some point and Gonzo got left. Hence why he's never known what he was except a "whatever" and didn't fit in until he found out that he's different.

As far as "canon," DaffyFan2002 won for biggest laugh of the day with his statement above! LOL!!

I, for one, do accept MFS as part of the Muppets Chronology (for the most part). But, it's only my opinion.

F:concern:Z
  18. Chinchilla New Member

Does every Muppet have to fit into a speices category? Or do all the non-gonzo undefineable beings have to be labeled "monsters"?

I have no trouble accepting Gonzo as a Whatever from Outer Space. But I hope his species stays the mysterious Whatevers... and not even the oldest, wisest, most studious of them knows what they are or where they came from.

And I hope rooted deep in the species unconcious is a devotion to a chicken-like nuturing love goddess!

C
  19. Gonzo is not from Outer Space.

His species is literally unknown, therefore he is a mystery, a "whatever".

To me, anyway.

And yes, it ruins it for me if we knew what he was, since that was the essence of Gonzo---not bein' able to pinpoint what he was or where he came from.

It's like findin' out Kramer's first name on "Seinfeld" (sorta). It just lost somethin' on the character after that. :rolleyes:

I haven't watched MFS, and have no plans to ever do so.
  20. Daffyfan2003 Active Member

With what? I wasn't trying to be funny. :confused: