Google Groups

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd just like to ask a couple of questions on the subject of Google Groups.
1 About how many MC members are also subscribed as Google Groups members? I know I saw ssetta and dwmckim there, but I'm curious as to whether other MC members also use the Google groups.
2 Are you guys satisfied with the reliability of messages or posts on individual Google Groups' threads? I know that somethings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to join up.
Thanks to all who post.

Thunder clashing and Lightning flashing, the Count.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I am also a Google Group member. My name is just plain Matt on there, my email is themantischild@aol.com. I am pretty happy with it, it has turned up some good people who have benefitted my collection very much. The only thing I don't like is the amount of time it takes to get a post up (like 3 to 5 hours). But other than that everything is good there, and I like it alot. :smile:

-Matt

scarecroe

Reaction score
If you guys are interested in rec.arts.henson+muppets, you should really use a news client to access it. You have more control over your posts, you can do things to hide your email address from spambots, and it takes seconds for your posts to appear (depending on what news server you get your group list from).

If you use Microsoft Internet Explorer, then there's a good chance you have Outlook Express installed which is a good news client. Netscape also has a news client if that's what you use.

This forum doesn't allow hyperlinks to newsgroups, but if you copy and paste the following into your browser's address field, it will automatically open it up in your computer's default news reader if one has been defined and configured properly. If it's not been defined and configured, it may ask you if you want to use program "x" as your default news reader and then start you on a walkthrough process to do so. You will have to get the name of your news server from your ISP; for example: news.aol.com
Code:
news:rec.arts.henson+muppets
You can also download any number of free clients such as Forté's Agent or WinVN News. Here's a list of available clients for download at C|Net's download.com

beaker

Reaction score
Lets be honest, is there really any worthwhile Muppet forums besides MC and TP? Just a brief look trhough any of the other alternatives shows all ya need is MC and TP.
Of course, if endless posts about 'hey, remember Muppet babies?' and 'who are those two old guys' are your thing, well
these 'other' usually uneducated forums online might be worth your while.

Luke

Reaction score
Cory,

Have you even BEEN to the Muppet Usenet newsgroup which people are talking about here ? It's much more high brow and i would never say 'uneducated'. There's only been 3 posts about the action figures though since they were announced which is very interesting !

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Have you even BEEN to the Muppet Usenet newsgroup which people are talking about here ? It's much more high brow and i would never say 'uneducated'. There's only been 3 posts about the action figures though since they were announced which is very interesting !<<<

I sure as heck have. rec.henson.arts is a mess. Its all one big descending thread list, most of which seem to be of the very mainstream 'Hey, who was that girl with glasses on Muppet Babies?' to 'WEEZER!!!!!!' to 'Who was that weird Chef guy?'
And the Livejournal one, oh man...

Lets just say, the ones with something really articulate to say find their way toward here or TP. The rest is pointless banter about the good ol 80's.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Cory --

That was and still is another huge part of my problem with the gothic Muppet kids down here in sunny FLA. They have no idea about anything dealing with the Muppets, but they wear the merchandise constantly. I asked a girl wearing a Gonzo shirt what her favorite Gonzo moment was, and she replied "When he sang the song about being green." Now, what am I supposed to think? GONZO IS ON HER SHIRT! HE IS NOT GREEN!!! And that my friend, is the end of the gripe. :smile:

-Matt

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to let you guys know, I went ahead and joined up after all. The reason I did so is because I'm really hoping that someone will be able to help me with my Muppet research and answer all the questions I have. I posted a copy on both alt.tv.sesame and rec.arts.henson+muppets, so if you want, you can go to either and post your reply. Something you have to remember is that anyone and everyone can post whatever they want since Google has no control over the content of the messages, unlike our gracious hosts here at muppetcentral.com, so keep an open mind. Besides, if you're not interested in the message, you don't have to even read it. It's just another way to make sure that the greatest number of people see the thread and hopefully respond, thus starting a conversation about that subject. There's a copy of my questions here too, under the title "Muppet Questions" in the General Discussion forum, so I hope you'll go there and help me out. .

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Count
Just to let you guys know, I went ahead and joined up after all. The reason I did so is because I'm really hoping that someone will be able to help me with my Muppet research and answer all the questions I have. I posted a copy on both alt.tv.sesame and rec.arts.henson+muppets, so if you want, you can go to either and post your reply. Something you have to remember is that anyone and everyone can post whatever they want since Google has no control over the content of the messages, unlike our gracious hosts here at muppetcentral.com, so keep an open mind. Besides, if you're not interested in the message, you don't have to even read it. It's just another way to make sure that the greatest number of people see the thread and hopefully respond, thus starting a conversation about that subject. There's a copy of my questions here too, under the title "Muppet Questions" in the General Discussion forum, so I hope you'll go there and help me out. .

Okay Count, from me I say more power to ya, and I hope you get the info your looking for. Just remember yourself what kind of people this world contains, and what kind of posts you might get in reply by people who don't paticularly care for the Muppets (if you get what I'm saying). Hopefully it will just be a nice experience for you, and you'll be able to complete the research your doing. Good luck. :smile:

-Matt

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I sure as heck have. rec.henson.arts is a mess. Its all one big descending thread list, most of which seem to be of the very mainstream 'Hey, who was that girl with glasses on Muppet Babies?' to 'WEEZER!!!!!!' to 'Who was that weird Chef guy?'
And the Livejournal one, oh man...
I knew that Livejournal was rubbish, but Usenet ? I've only visited a few times, but every time it seemed quiet and organised - wierd ! There are some knowledgable people there as well who don't come here (although i think i've seen em at TP once or twice) - Nancy someone seemed ok.