1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Google Screws Us Over AGAIN...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jun 14, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

They've forced Zamzar (the better alternative to MediaConverter) to stop allowing people to download videos from YouTube.

In addition to this and MediaConverter not even working anymore, this is going to make it almost impossible for people to make fan-generated content such as Poops and MVs because they now have no means of obtaining the footage and clips needed to make these things. Not only that, but this screws me over as well, because every once in a while, sometimes video files I record will be over 100MB so I can't directly convert them from my computer, I have to post them unlisted on YouTube to compress them to download/convert them (I know you have the Download mp4 option, but the mp4 files are always in really crappy quality).

*Waits for a rant from Drtooth*

EDIT: Yeah, Google's also attacked MediaConverter as well, so there's really NO way to download videos anymore.
  2. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

What are your files and what are you trying to convert them to :confused:
  3. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

OH COME ON, THIS IS WHY YOUTUBE SHOULD'VE NEVER BEEN BOUGHT BY GOOGLE, IT'S TURNED INTO A DIASTER EVER SINCE!!
  4. D'Snowth

My digital camera records and saves them as .mov files, which isn't compatible with Movie Maker (not even the new Windows Live Movie Maker, which handles a wider ranger of files than previous versions), so I have to convert them to .wmv for a compatible file format while still maintain desired quality... the problem is sites like Zamzar and MediaConverter have a 100MB size limit, so you have to keep each recording usually under a minute (because a minute basically equals 100MB).

But it's not just that, like I said, there's also the issue of now not being able to download videos available on YouTube for things like Poops and MV, or in some cases, just simply downloading them so you can view them on your hard-drive in case of no internet access.
  5. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

You're kidding me. Why did they get rid of that? Where am I supposed to get the footage from now?
  6. Sgt Floyd

Use Format factory. I have no experienced any loss of quality when using it and it converts all kinds of video files
    http://download.cnet.com/FormatFactory/3000-2194_4-10968547.html

http://keepvid.com/
  7. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

If you're using Firefox, you can put an add-on onto Firefox that allows you to download YouTube videos straight to your computer.
  8. Sgt Floyd

Really, this seems more like making a mountain out of a molehill. Heck, the latest version of Real Player allows you to download youtube videos

(also, I have not had any quality loss using keepvid myself)
  9. D'Snowth

It really isn't: sites like Zamzar and MediaConverter allowed to do all this for free (and without watermakers) without the need to download or purchase any software or programs.
  10. Sgt Floyd

keepvid is free :smirk:

Format factory, yes, you need to download, but it is free as well, no watermarks either
  11. D'Snowth

Not when I tried to download it, it said I had to purchase a license to use it.
    I've tried it, it only converts like one second of video instead of the entire video.
  12. Sgt Floyd

Dont download keepvid, use the on site converter :smirk:

and what do you mean format factory converted one second of video?
  13. D'Snowth

My bad, I didn't see the enter the URL box there.

But yeah, I tried Format Factory, and tested some file conversions, but the output file only resulted in one second of video being converted.
  14. Sgt Floyd

You clicked the button on the left of the file type you want to format, add the file in the box that shows up, click ok, then clicked start?

I never had that happen before...
  15. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Personally I use MPEG Streamclip to download and convert stuff. If the video download thing doesn't work, I use the ClickToFlash plugin (right click-Download Video).
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Eh... I never used Zamzar... if they stop the other one I actually use, that will suck... but I was giving up YTPs anyway. I was about to retire from it a few months ago anyway, but couldn't. That stuff was just a place filler for stuff I never got the equipment for doing... I get very little views for what I do. YT having a breakdown over video downloads because some humorless jerks in the RIAA and the MPAA was BOUND to happen sooner or later... they kept changing the player so it was impossible for Media converter anyway. That was not affecting my decision to quit at all... though before I found something else, when MC changed its site so the video and audio downloads sucked, I almost had to give up anyway.

I wouldn't be too worried. hackers will ALWAYS find a way around it... there will be something new and better. if not, I'm sure you can grab things of Dailymotion to use.
  17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Couldn't people still make "poops" if they have their own copies of the footage, on video or DVD (or download)?
  18. D'Snowth

I've tried, it's impossible to download videos off Dailymotion, I don't know if it's because these sites don't have the ability to do or, or if it's how Dailymotion does their URLs or what. But you really should have given Zamzar a try, they don't pixelize the videos your download like MediaConverter does.
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly. They could. It does NOT at all affect uploads of media in formats that the uploader owns.

I've been using Clip Converter since "They have a movie out now, you know" for the Stooge Arcade footage. And I've found it's a much better site, even though it still pixilates a bit (but then again, I put the videos through a low filter so they don't take hours to upload). Of course, it took me a LOT of trial and error to get a video format that works. If I download something as a WMV it stops midway and doesn't work, if I do an avi, all I get is the audio (something that didn't happen with mediaconverter).
  20. D'Snowth

One problem I've found I have with AVI files is that the audio of the file almost always coming out with a very tinny, almost metallic sound. One alternative I used to work with was MPG, back a few years ago when I downloaded a bunch of Chipmunk episodes off YouTube because I foresaw them being taken down eventually (by Warner because of the Cartoon Network logo), but I recently read/learned somewhere that MPG are basically designed to corrupt overtime, and presently, I can't watch ANY of those videos now on my new computer, because there's either no audio, or the video freezes up like dish does in the rain, etc.

Handbrake will rip non-protected DVDs in MP4 in decent quality (it's how I've been able to upload these SST episodes recently), yet somehow, if you download an MP4 of your own videos from your YouTube account, the download quality is really crappy.

Has this whole Google block affected Clip Converter do you know? If not, I'll give them a try to see how it compares to Zamzar.