Google Screws Us Over AGAIN...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They've forced Zamzar (the better alternative to MediaConverter) to stop allowing people to download videos from YouTube.

In addition to this and MediaConverter not even working anymore, this is going to make it almost impossible for people to make fan-generated content such as Poops and MVs because they now have no means of obtaining the footage and clips needed to make these things. Not only that, but this screws me over as well, because every once in a while, sometimes video files I record will be over 100MB so I can't directly convert them from my computer, I have to post them unlisted on YouTube to compress them to download/convert them (I know you have the Download mp4 option, but the mp4 files are always in really crappy quality).

*Waits for a rant from Drtooth*

EDIT: Yeah, Google's also attacked MediaConverter as well, so there's really NO way to download videos anymore.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
What are your files and what are you trying to convert them to :confused:

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
OH COME ON, THIS IS WHY YOUTUBE SHOULD'VE NEVER BEEN BOUGHT BY GOOGLE, IT'S TURNED INTO A DIASTER EVER SINCE!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My digital camera records and saves them as .mov files, which isn't compatible with Movie Maker (not even the new Windows Live Movie Maker, which handles a wider ranger of files than previous versions), so I have to convert them to .wmv for a compatible file format while still maintain desired quality... the problem is sites like Zamzar and MediaConverter have a 100MB size limit, so you have to keep each recording usually under a minute (because a minute basically equals 100MB).

But it's not just that, like I said, there's also the issue of now not being able to download videos available on YouTube for things like Poops and MV, or in some cases, just simply downloading them so you can view them on your hard-drive in case of no internet access.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
You're kidding me. Why did they get rid of that? Where am I supposed to get the footage from now?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My digital camera records and saves them as .mov files, which isn't compatible with Movie Maker (not even the new Windows Live Movie Maker, which handles a wider ranger of files than previous versions), so I have to convert them to .wmv for a compatible file format while still maintain desired quality... the problem is sites like Zamzar and MediaConverter have a 100MB size limit, so you have to keep each recording usually under a minute (because a minute basically equals 100MB).
Use Format factory. I have no experienced any loss of quality when using it and it converts all kinds of video files
http://download.cnet.com/FormatFactory/3000-2194_4-10968547.html

But it's not just that, like I said, there's also the issue of now not being able to download videos available on YouTube for things like Poops and MV, or in some cases, just simply downloading them so you can view them on your hard-drive in case of no internet access.
http://keepvid.com/

Hubert

Reaction score
If you're using Firefox, you can put an add-on onto Firefox that allows you to download YouTube videos straight to your computer.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Really, this seems more like making a mountain out of a molehill. Heck, the latest version of Real Player allows you to download youtube videos

(also, I have not had any quality loss using keepvid myself)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It really isn't: sites like Zamzar and MediaConverter allowed to do all this for free (and without watermakers) without the need to download or purchase any software or programs.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
keepvid is free :smirk:

Format factory, yes, you need to download, but it is free as well, no watermarks either