Google Screws Us Over AGAIN...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yep, clipconverter's got a limit too, five per day, like MediaConverter.

Guess I'll have to use both it and KeepVid for downloading and converting, again, Zamzar had no limits on downloads and conversions, so yeah, it was far superior.

beaker

Reaction score
They've forced Zamzar (the better alternative to MediaConverter) to stop allowing people to download videos from YouTube.

???

Um, keepvid.com? Offliberty.com? realplayer capture?

There is not a single streaming/flash/video file online that cannot be easily and instantly downloadable. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
People still use Real Player? I thought that thing went extinct years ago. :embarrassed:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yes. They are just doing what they can to combat piracy. I really do not understand why you hate google so much. I mean, you are entitled to your own opinion, but I still just don't get it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When's the last time Google has ever done ANYTHING for the betterment of the people they serve? Anytime they come out with some kind of "upgrade" or "improvement" for any of their entities (YouTube, Blogger, etc), it's only to benefit themselves, and not the people who use their services. Look at the YouTube Beta Channels of 2009, or the NEW new YouTube channels they introduced this year, or the very recent overhaul of the Blogger layout, or even their own search engine, there's been nothing but outcry and outrage over all of this, but do they take any of that in consideration? No. They claim they're always open to people's feedback, and that it's the feedback that helps them shape such upgrades, but if that were the case, we wouldn't have half the problems we have now.

I said it earlier in the thread, I get this is further attempts to prevent downloading copyrighted material, but this ultimately also affects honest YouTubers like Drtooth, and others, who make things that fall under the Fair Use Act, like Poops, MVs, Reviews, etc. In short, it's like if ONE kid causes trouble, the ENTIRE CLASS gets punished for his actions.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Fair enough, I suppose. Although, your analogy kind of is a counterargument to your own defense. Its the pirates fault that companies have to do this kind of thing, and everyone else suffers. Blame the pirates, not the company

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's my thoughts about piracy.

The entertainment industry should get the *&^% over it. They'll always lose a tiny amount of money to people who wouldn't pay to see those movies, watch those DVD's, or buy their music. Piracy has much less to do with it than anyone thinks. If you're not going to pay for a movie/CD/DVD, chances are you weren't going to see it anyway. Technically, they don't lose any money to piracy, because they're losing money that doesn't exit. Money that belongs to people who aren't going to buy that stuff anyway.
There are more than enough people who care to see movies in theaters or wait for the DVD. It's not a matter of "if everyone did it" because people DO indeed care about franchises and properties to help them succeed.

Now, with Youtube... here's the thing. The companies police the HECK out of it. You cannot find current movies or TV shows on the site for long. Same deal with certain record labels and song uploads. So the window for downloading theatrical movies/DVD releases/new shows/and certain music on that site is very small. The best things to find are old things no one cares about. And why would we need to police 30 second clips, long last cartoons and TV shows, or completely out of print movies that companies cannot make money off of anyway.

Where as, you can still find other places to download current movies and TV shows that NO ONE polices at all.

So it sounds like a "blame the pirates" bit, but in reality, it's passive aggressive punishment for everyone to make up an imaginary amount of money they're not entitled to anyway. And even if it was, it's NOT going to the creative forces... just CEO's and other execs.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well, I've always said what you basically said in your first paragraph. The people who pirate things would never buy it to begin with. I do think there are companies who don't seem to grasp this concept, but others probably do just want imaginary money.

I can't say too much about pirates without being a hypocrite, though :shifty:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
you can still find other places to download current movies and TV shows that NO ONE polices at all.
Ah, but even that is a gamble, because some of those other places also come with little hidden bonuses with the downloads, namely viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, malware, etc.