GOP Grouchy Over HIV Muppet

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GOP Grouchy Over HIV Muppet
Courtesy of E Online

Call it the Great Muppet Caper, part two.

Disturbed by the prospect of Sesame Street introducing an HIV-Positive Muppet on its South African version as part of an AIDS education effort, a group of conservative lawmakers is making like Oscar the Grouch and has sent a letter to PBS expressing their concern over the appropriateness of such a character and subject matter on public television.

"We look forward to working with you to ensure that only age and culturally appropriate programs air on PBS, which is a mainstay that millions of parents have come to rely upon over the past 35 years," reads the letter, which was obtained by Daily Variety.

Five Republican members of the powerful House Commerce Committee, led by chairman W.J. "Billy" Tauzin of Louisiana, also reminded PBS president Pat Mitchell that Congress has the last word on funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, PBS' backer.

The new HIV-infected female Muppet is set to debut September 30 on Takalani Sesame with the goal of helping combat the spread of HIV and AIDS by educating youngsters on the epidemic and repudiating widely held cultural stereotypes about the virus and those infected. More than 10 percent of the South African population is infected with HIV.

The forces behind Sesame Street say the character, who has yet to be designed or named, will freely interact with her fellow Muppets, and the topic of AIDS would be handled delicately and not explicitly mention sex.

While the HIV-positive Muppet might later be introduced in other countries where a sizable percentage of the population is battling AIDS, PBS said last week that there were no immediate plans for a similar character to join Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, Elmo and the rest of the gang Stateside.

Still, that's not stopping conservatives from taking swipes at the award-winning children's series. The American Family Association says the character is a means for homosexual activists to influence young viewers. And the Tauzin-led congressional letter-writers--which also included Represtentatives Joe Barton (R-Texas), Cliff Stearns (R-Florida), Fred Upton (R-Michigan), Charles Pickering (R-Mississippi) and Richard Burr (R-North Carolina)--are taking PBS' Mitchell to task.

"While it is important to teach children in an age-appropriate manner about compassion for those who contract certain diseases, we would like to inquire as to whether there is other PBS programming, aimed at an older age group, which may be more suitable for such sensitive messages," the letter continues.

The politicians, all supporters of a movement in Congress to slash funding for public broadcasting, have requested that Mitchell respond to their inquiry by Friday. She been asked to answer such questions regarding how much funding PBS annually allocates Sesame Street; whether or not the PBS bigwig would allow corporations to play a larger role in underwriting more programming; and whether the show has plans to bring the HIV-positive Muppet to America. This despite PBS' assurances that it wasn't.

Ironically, one of the few morality mavens coming out in support of the HIV-positive Muppet was none other than the Reverend Jerry Falwell. Falwell, who notoriously tried to out Teletubby Tinky Winky, says he believes the new Muppet will have a positive effect, as long as there is no discussion of its sexuality.

A PBS spokesperson declined to comment Monday on the letter.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
*sigh*

Just this once I'm gonna be a good girl and not comment...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I agree with Emmy's sigh.

Has all of America completely missed that this is only affecting the South African version of the show? Have I missed something?

Do these people who are freaking out know where South Africa is? Do the lawmakers realize PBS has virtually nothing to do with the show? These Republicans need something else to do with their time, perhaps putting more money in to education for reading comprehension and geography.

...and I though Canadian politians were crazy!

matleo

Reaction score
trust the Republicans. No offense to any Republican supporters here, but come on. here's an idea. Get this country in order first, THEN worry about a children's TV show in another country. But you know what this is don't you? The Republicans have been looking for an excuse to cut funding in Public Television for years without looking like the bad guys. Remember Newt Gingrich?? Believe me. An HIV-Muppet is a front. That's my take on it anyway. Think we should send these Republican congress members some Muppet lingerie or would that just make things worse?

--Matt

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
Originally posted by matleo
But you know what this is don't you? The Republicans have been looking for an excuse to cut funding in Public Television for years without looking like the bad guys. An HIV-Muppet is a front.
What gives you that idea? The fact that they're demanding PBS to show them them their books? :smile:

I hate to tell them, but "Sesame Street" isn't entirely funded by PBS, unless I have read the message on the backs of products incorrectly, so it's really none of the GOP's business who is financing this new character.....for a production in a country that they have no governing authority over.

But seriously, I agree with you. This sounds like nothing more than an angle they're going to try to play up. If it was just normal Republican homophobia, then they wouldn't have brought up the funding.

I just hope everyone remembers this kind of stuff when it comes time to select our elected officials in the future.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Matt-- I agree with the sentiment, but yes, that would make things worse. :wink:

What would be appropriate would be letters to our lovely representatives pointing out a few facts about geography and the scope of America's Public Broadcasting System. Last time I checked, PBS was not in control of South African television.

I would also like to encourage anyone who has a spare dime to send it to PBS. You can specify a use for your donation-- meaning we can say we want our dimes to fund Sesame Street. In America, money talks.

Matt's right, funding cuts for PBS are inevitable in the current political climate. It's a shame how easily people will jump on a bandwagon if it is about tearing something (or someone) down. Imagine what could happen if we harnessed that energy and put it into job training programs for the homeless or quality day care and after school programs for inner city kids...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think that maybe we should put on a little puppet show ourselves to teach these Republicans that pediatric AIDS and HIV exposure has nothing to do with homosexuality. It seems like it's the old fogeys that just don't get it.

It always makes me laugh when I hear that Sesame Street depends so much on public funds. Sesame Street doesn't really depend on PBS. Actually Sesame is the crown jewel of public television that they do not want to lose. Just silly.

Maybe Congress should stop thinking so much about cutting PBS funding and focus more on cutting terms of these old guys and setting some limits. Time for some new ideas!:smile:

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I don't know that Sesame Street is so strong as you think. If so, why did they recently dumb the program down for younger viewers?

radionate

Reaction score
I know for one that I will be writing a letter to my representatives, Chip Pickering, really soon to set him straight. Mississippi relys so heavily on PBS (or ETV as it is called here), as we are a poor state, and oftentimes, the only station a family can get without cable is PBS. To cut funding and take it away would be insane.

Save PBS and save the Arts!!!!!!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah! Obviously they don't know that it is for SOUTH AFRICA!!! And I think they're doing this as a way to distract us from the fact that G W Bush is a numbskull! He knew about the attacks and such, but he was too busy having everyone in his pocket so he could cheat his way to the top. Why do you think Nader was on the ballot? He was a Republican spy!

Besides everything upsets republicans, except the fact that they ruin the economy by giving huge tax cuts for the rich, and none to the middle class down.

sorry! I'm just a liberal. I've become what I've hated!!!