Goths, Punks, Freaks, and Muppets - Is it all Very Wrong?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Okay, Here is my question to you all:

Am I the only person on earth who feels its wrong for these kids to be sticking Kermit stickers to their steel-toed boots?

I am refering to the amount of Muppet merchandise targeted for sale to gothic teenagers, mainly at Hot Topic. I believe it is horrible. Jim Henson made these characters with the intent of happiness and humor, and these wannabe-devil children embrace it. I think its degrading to the characters, and to Jim. I think its a bit annoying to Muppet fans like ourselves to see these punks walking around in Beaker shirts with their friends dressed in Slayer and Sixty-Nyne Wives shirts. They did to the Muppets what they do to all the good in the world;slap it on merchadise to make a statement about innocence. That's a fact (I know some of these morons). So, thats my opinion. I'd like to hear anyone elses.

-Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I feel that Jim's work embraced all sorts of people. As a former glam goth kid I really object to that sort of judgement, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I think it's fantastic to see more people in Muppet merchandise - especially punk kids!

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I feel that Jim's work embraced all sorts of people. As a former glam goth kid I really object to that sort of judgement, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I think it's fantastic to see more people in Muppet merchandise - especially punk kids!
no offense, man...but i just got the wierdest picture of Scooter in my head...that was freaky.

i mean, what color eyeliner do you use when you're eyes are in your glasses?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. and where to put the black lipstick? I say give him some shades, a longsleeve ripped up shirt over a black tee and dye the tips of his hair black. And maybe a sparkley Muppet sticker placed somewhere for good measure! That should do it!

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Hmmmm. and where to put the black lipstick? I say give him some shades, a longsleeve ripped up shirt over a black tee and dye the tips of his hair black. And maybe a sparkley Muppet sticker placed somewhere for good measure! That should do it!
i like it! maybe we can get Ken to make that instead of "Superhero" Scooter (okay, no...that's one of the figures i can't wait to get my hands on...maybe a show exclusive!)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oooooh! Maybe an MC or club exclusive! Very short run.

grail

Reaction score
yeah! we could get them to do a whole series of..."counter-culture" figures. you could have "mid-life crisis" Bunsen, with convertable, leather pants, toupee, and "younger girlfriend" (maybe a "golddigger Janice" figure). or a cross-dressing Kermit (yeah, i stole that from Kermie Lover) maybe a "preppie" Link? heh, could be interesting.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They could do fishnet Gonzo from the Prince episode of Muppets tonight - not to mention Seymour's interesting choice of pants! In the words of Pepe from that ep,"unbelievabe!"

grail

Reaction score
i think we've got a hit on our hands! now then...where's Ken, we need swag!

(just kidding Ken)

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Am I the only person on earth who feels its wrong for these kids to be sticking Kermit stickers to their steel-toed boots?

I definately see where you are coming from with this post. It bothers me similarly when I see the lovable characters from SS being portrayed or referenced with drugs or sexual acts. Especially since I have a three-year-old daughter who is so innocent... I know that certain unsavory cartoons or other such uses of the Muppets would confuse and upset her. I am sometimes very sad for all the mixed messages found in media and popular culture.