Great Henson Article in New York Times (11/12/06)

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
I have to agree with you, JimHensonHour. I'm friends with a lot of gay men, some people even call me....well, I can't say it here, it is a family forum! *smirk* But I too agree with you. It sounds like it'll be a neat show! Probably along the lines of "Will & Grace" in terms of how far they went too. Possibly even less then that. (It's still on cable guys, check it out, it's a neat show!) And I just simply can't wait to see what Brian'll put out for us as fans. I think his father would have liked what's he putting out now. He's finally giving us something at least. :wink:
and now I agree with you Jim would be proud of Brian doing his own thing and not caring what anyone thinks I mean heck I'm proud of him.
He's finally moving his fathers foot steps right along down that beautiful foam road!
Kimp the Shrimp said:
who said that gay means sexual on this thread. Read b4 you critize all he said was that he does not want a gay puppet show. it's like people don't like The Febbles or Ave Q where puppets took on adult themes
so please some people can accept Alt Lifestyles but we don't need it push on us
No one is pushing anything on anyone...but I wont stand by when someone comes in and goes oh lord not a puppet show with gay puppets thats just rude..and odd I thought mickymuppet was a girl lol my bad.
I mean It would be like some one saying oh no not a henson show with Christian puppets or Jewish or something lol I'd say well atleast watch it before passing judgement that's all it just really bothers me when people stand and judge when they havent even seen it yet...To be quite honest I'm betting Brian is saying it's a gay puppet show just to get a rise out of people. To me Henson doing anything differnt for a change is very welcome whatever it may be. Jim Henson was about the world and being creative and it's really really nice to see Brian finally reaching this point in his life! I'm very excited and I wish nothing but the best for him.
Like I said this has happened a bunch on here be it over Ernie and Bert which annoys me I don't care what any puppets sexual preference is that's just silly.
But most people seem to...I also don't care if a henson show is for kids family or adult..I'm a henson fan through and through..either I like it or I don't but at least I go out and watch it in support of a company who has brought me many happy years.
And Most people do associate gay people with being sexual or pedophiles or something horrible like that which isn't anything like that I just wanted to stop all that nonsense before it started...but I will agree some times I do go a bit far *eep*
It all does make me laugh when people go gasp! Oh no the Hensons are doing adult things...Jim always did adult things by being adult doesn't mean you have to be raunchy and sick though...and honestly so what if they are Jim wasn't innocent he had his fair share of dirty jokes on the muppets and on snl as well as many other things...it's called being human.
Listen I'm not trying to start any fights I'm here because I love everything muppety and Henson but I'd really like the negativity on the board to go down just a bit we should be happy Brian's finally pulling his head out of his butt and doing something new instead of rehashing his fathers works.
But Back On Subject Yay!!! Hensons Doing New Shows That actually may do something for them!

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Ok, I for one am quit shocked how everyone is reacting to this adult stuff. It seems people don't remember SNL and the Muppets, and what culture we live in. Seriously ya'll, be glad they are planning something rather than doing nothing. They are trying to go away to the child's projects, which I think is absolutely wonderful, people think of Jim as making child's entertainment, but before "Sesame Street," he made adult entertainment, some of his short films are a little adult as well. I think this is a great step for the Henson company, and it gives them attention and makes people curious.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I have absolutely no oppositions to a gay puppet show. However, from what I read in the description... it doesn't come off as that funny. It's the "Oh, it was a light beer" gag that just makes me think it could be a disaster. I do think the idea has potential, especially the adopted human child.

beaker

Reaction score
1. I think I am like a LOT of people, who have a VERY sour taste still from the JHC giving up what MADE THEM the JHC: The Muppets...and THEN having Disney decide to put em on hiatus as a franchise. Grrr.

But, if it makes the JHC company feel more freed up and happy, well then I guess there is a silver lining.

2. Nothing too exciting to me here. I love the idea of PuppetUp, hopefully it can catch on. Late Night Buffet doesnt appeal to me.
Now, the only gay pig I can thing of is Howard from A Very Muppet Xmas,
and JHC does have a penchant for recycling puppets to use for new characters.
I am very interested/curious to see how it develops, could be pretty unique.

I would love to see a live action romantic comedy, that just so happens to co star Pepe or some other character. I love the idea of puppets mixing with real life.

3. Ugh...Wonder Showzen has to be one of the...well lets just say, its one of the msot shocking things ever produced for tv. Im surprised it even gets aired, and I am hard to shock. I didnt like Greg the Bunny or Crank Yankers tho.

4. Im curious if JHC will attempt ANOTHER try at kids programming. They havent since 2002's Animal Jam. I am very curious to see how committed they are to bringing back Fraggle Rock.
Im VERY excited as well about the Dark Crystal resurgence.

5. For people that think JHC has always been squeaky clean, ya gotta
see Land of Gorch. Seriously, I cant even type or elude to what some of those sketches were about. And yes, they were Muppets performed by Oz, Henson and others.
I think its positive JHC, now Muppetless, is attempting more grown up faire.

Also, people who equate gay with sex humor:
Seinfeld had a million times more sexual humor than Will and Grace, Ellen,
and Normal Ohio combined.

Marky said:
Gay Muppets?

:rolleyes:
Oh it's nothing new...look at which puppet is admiring Sylvester Stallone in an old episode of the Muppet show

TheJimHensonHour said:
Wil and Grace was a very funny show and it hardly ever had any sexual jokes.
Gay people live lives just like anyone else I've had quite enough of peoples bad mouthing everyone because tv shows us all off as a bunch of flamey queens.:grouchy:
btw sorry if I'm over reacting a bit and perhaps I shouldn't say all of that but it's come to my attention a number of times and it's quite hurtfull.
But as muppet fans I think one would have learned from the teachings of Jim Henson to be a bit more open minded towards the world and the people in it not hatefull and rude. *shesh*
Hey, no seriously, it's good to hear ya speak up. In America, it's still "ok" to make fun of and bash gays and Arabs/Muslims. Somehow, as a nation we have decided its not cool to be up in arms against people of non white heritage, but gays and Arabs/Muslims...oh, we can make fun of them!

How can anyone who loves the Muppets NOT have an open heart to homosexuals? Geez, one of the BIGGEST things the Muppets are known for
are musicals, and being about love and tolerance.

I cannot wait til we see a generation someday, where gays are not looked at as second class, or "subversive". Unfortunately, like with "ghetto black youth", a small minority of a group is exaggerated by the media which clouds America's view of any number of groups of peoples.

a_Mickey_Muppet said:
sounds good and all but i DON'T like the idea of a gay puppet show! :concern: esps from Henson!
Um, even tho one of the greatest Muppeteers of all time was homosexual, and several Muppets are most definately gay. (no, not Bert and Ernie)

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
beaker said:
Um, even tho one of the greatest Muppeteers of all time was homosexual, and several Muppets are most definately gay. (no, not Bert and Ernie)

:concern: who!!??? i didnt know this?! :confused: :eek:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Yep, and thats probablly (i am guessing I don't know) why he died of HIV Aids.