Grover and the Number door

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here's a sketch similar to the one with Cookie Monster and the green cloth/

*Grover Enters, scatting and notices a door in the middle of nowhere*

Grover: "A door? Out here? Odd. But, I might as well continue my walk.

*Knocking is heard at the door*

Grover: "Knock? Who could be knocking at the door out here. *opens the door to reveal a large number one* Oh, my goodness! It is the number one! I wonder how he was able to knock on the door. Oh well.

*G shuts the door and begins to leave, until another knock is heard.*

G: "Another knock? Must be the one again. *opens the door to reveal a big number 2* Whoa! A number Two! What a surprise. I wonder what happened to the 1. Oh well, back to my walk."

*Grover closes the door, but another knock is heard*

G: "Again with the knocking? Oh boy *opens to reveal a 3* A 3! Hey, 3. What happened to the one and the two? *leans twoard the number but gets nothing* uh, well thanks anyway."

*Shuts door, knockin' again*

G: "More knocking? Well, this sure is odd *opens the door with a 4* A four now. I t looks like they're going in number order. Hmmm, I wonder...."

*He shuts the door, then imminently re-opens it to reveal a five*

G: "Ah ha, just as I expected! A five! *shuts door, re-opens it* A 6. *Close, Open* 7 *C, O* 8 *You Get By Now* 9 *ETC..* 10! Whew, what a hoot that was, but I think I'll go now."

*Shuts the door, begins to walk away, but hears more knocking*

G: "Wha? But...I...oh...uh...Oh well. It could be 11 for all I know."

*He opens the door and a pile of toys topple on him. He emerges and sighs as the musical button plays*

Waddah think?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I could actually see that sketch working. Though, so it doesn't become routine, the ritual should be varied a little more. (though "fast-forwarding" through a few numbers would be funny)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
. Though, so it doesn't become routine, the ritual should be varied a little more. (though "fast-forwarding" through a few numbers would be funny)
What do you mean?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, the routine of Grover opening the door to reveal a number would have been more interesting had 1) Grover's reactions been different (after all, Grover would probably start hamming it up with over-exaggerated emotions after about the fifth number), or 2) the numbers started doing surprising things (like the door knocks/Grover opens it/nothing ... and then the number comes up behind him).

This isn't to say that this story was bad. Not at all. I only mentioned it as a way to get through tedious counting sequences. That way, you're not forced to do what you did (*You Get By Now*), just because you got bored that the sequence was repetitive. I really liked the payoff at the end. It was unexpected. However, instead of just having it out of the blue, it would have also worked as the culminating catastrophe preceded by ever-increasing zaniness.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here's the skit I based it off of.

Now, the way I would see it would be that the numbers wouldn't be giant props, like you're implying, but just a video effect like the video above.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Cute. Cute skit.

I agree with RedPiggy, but I still like it.

One (minor) complaint. Grover doesn't use contractions... at least not classic Grover. There have been a few times when Eric Jacobson accidentally slipped one in (mainly just in songs), but it's pretty rare.

I noticed you stuck to that pretty much, in all but two spots (they're and I'll), so I'm just being picky. :stick_out_tongue:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Cute. Cute skit.

I agree with RedPiggy, but I still like it.

One (minor) complaint. Grover doesn't use contractions... at least not classic Grover. There have been a few times when Eric Jacobson accidentally slipped one in (mainly just in songs), but it's pretty rare.
Oh, I had forgot about that.