Guy Smilley Ripoff

dcfboss

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
To answer my man, Daffyfan, he didn't even sound a thing like Guy Smiley, mainly because Joey wasn't trying to do his voice. Basically he sounded like a mixture between a stereotyped middle aged Jewish guy, and a Stereotyped middle aged New York/Italian guy. I have to see it again.
As a young NY/Italaian guy I must totally disagree with you on this one. He sounded nothing like a NYer or an Italian. LOL

Guy was the Man! I do not know if they retired him because Jim Died as a tribute or they just couldn't finda voice. I mean, at least the classic skits. Use "Do de rubba Duck" on Journey to Ernie or something.
yea....just as long as they show something. they should show some older shows now cuz these repeats are getting to me a little.

and in honor of mr smiley i have changed my avatar icon to preserve his memory. there's a little guy smiley in us all. may he live on in our minds and in our hearts. lol.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

But I agree. Guy was the Man! I do not know if they retired him because Jim Died as a tribute or they just couldn't finda voice.
That's a tough one. I know Rowlf the Dog was retired as a tribute to Jim, but that's because he was considered his signature character. I probably will go with the reason that they couldn't find a voice for Guy Smiley. It shouldn't be too hard though. Steve Whitemire took over a lot of Henson's characters. I think he could have voiced Smiley.

I mean, at least the classic skits.
I think the reason they don't show those as much as they used to doesn't have as much to do with Henson's death as it has to do with the changing of the format.

Just posting a few of my thoughts. I haven't actually watched the show in quite awhile, so maybe I should wait until I get a chance to see a few episodes THEN I'll complain about it. Lol.

dcfboss

Reaction score
i know...the new format sux.

i went out and bought the cookie monster best bites video. on the song "take that away from me" they had guy smiley and he sounded just like kermit and kermit sounds just like ernie. so whoever does ernie should be able to give us a respectable guy smiley.

but i agree with you....the new format had killed guy smiley, herry, betty lou, and a whole bunch of others. that's why i hate elmo and the newer characters so much cuz to me they kicked the old ones aside. i know they're putting grover in more episods with 'global grover' they should do the same with guy smiley.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by dcfboss

but i agree with you....the new format had killed guy smiley, herry, betty lou, and a whole bunch of others. that's why i hate elmo and the newer characters so much cuz to me they kicked the old ones aside.
Herry is still used, but to a MUUUUCH lesser extent. The only new segment to feature him was but a brief cameo in the episode with Aladdin (plaied by David Allen Grier).

They did use segments with him, though, including the Garth Brooks one.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
Would Guy Smiley still be a relevant pop culture reference for the kids who watch the show today?

Bear in mind that I'm not an American, but my knowledge of US TV is strong enough to know that the style of game show that Guy is parodying may be a good laugh-getter for the nostalgia-hungry adults like us, but let's not forget that whether we like it or not, today's Sesame Street is for today's kids.

Cherry "man it hurts to admit that" Pizza

dcfboss

Reaction score
i think sesame street is the rare kind of show that no matter how old the shows are or how old the characters are, the show will still have the same message. Part of it is nostalgia hunger, i'll admit it. but the older shows teach the basic knowledge better than it does now.

like on the cookie monster best bites video that i got (which is hilarious) they showed old skits that tought near and far and fast and slow. you just don't see that anymore. weather it's because there's too many characters or so much emphasis has been placed on elmo, the way they deliver those messages has changed, and i think it takes away from the show. i mean, do we really need a bunch of monsters in a clubhouse dancing around more than the two-headed monsters on the brick wall teaching how to spell words like 'cat' and 'car'.

the show has always been entertaining for all ages, but at the same time it's been educational. where's the education in "journey to ernie" and "monster clubhouse"? if they're trying to preach about repetitiveness, they don't have to worry. they show the reruns enough for it to be repetitive.

yet, some parts are pure entertainment, like guy smiley's game shows. i guess the same can be said for monster clubhouse and journey to ernie. but the fact the sesame street doesn't stay loyal to the characters and things that made it so great in favor for cheap garbage that most of the show has become just disappoints me. the foundation is still there, but i don't think it's as strong as it used to be. i think a major thing was that format. i realize there's probably not enough time to show old skits or show new ones that would convey similar messages when nearly half of the show is taken away by monster clubhouse, journey to ernie and the mind boggling length of elmo's world.