1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Halloween is just around the corner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sgt Floyd, Oct 1, 2007.

1. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Yeah... What happened to Halloween is Grinch's Night, Raggedy Ann & Andy and The Pumpkin that Wouldn't Smile, Witch's Night Out, The Halloween That Almost Wasn't? These are all spooky sentimental favorites from my childhood that never air anymore.

heralde likes this.
  2. Harleena

Harleena Well-Known Member

I agree. Like why do costumes have to look like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Like if you want to dress sexxy, then maybe don't dress as a Sesame Street character?

Flaky Pudding and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  3. Harleena

Harleena Well-Known Member

Also @ women on halloween: for the love of god please do not wear a sexxy schoolgirl outfit. That is so wrong on so many levels

Flaky Pudding and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Halloween is Grinch Night was released on DVD several years ago under the alternate title "It's Grinch Night." Kinda wish I bought those Dr. Seuss DVD's when I had the chance. I really should have replaced my VHS copy of Pontoffle Pock back then. Grinch Night may be on Youtube, but those things have a tendency to be taken down.

I'm mixed about watching Fat Albert's Halloween special because...well... And I wish I could watch my VHS tape of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show episode where Peppermint Patty and Charlie Brown go to the bowling alley Halloween Night and Chuck's stray bowling ball (he was facing the wrong way) knocks over Marcie and Linus waiting at the Pumpkin Patch, mistaking it for The Great Pumpkin. A lost classic that doesn't get much attention because it was only animated in that forgotten TV show. And you just know no one reads the strips. Otherwise, there's that great aftermath of Marcie's parents taking her to get "deprogrammed" of Linus's influence.

As for "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," it's a shame that there isn't much of a 50th anniversary push, other than McDonalds having trick or treat buckets at the end of the month. Seeing it's not the Christmas one and all. And yeah, it's a defining classic, if kind of overrated as far as Peanuts specials go. But it's such a shame that Great Pumpkin lives constantly in the shadow of the Christmas special. Of course, I suppose that it's equally unfair that the Thanksgiving special lives in the shadow of both.

5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh man...you guys need to watch this, lol. This is safety gone horribly silly, lol.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

If we're going to complain about Halloween safety, need I once again point out the same thing I've been bringing up in this thread year after year about the newscasts the day before Halloween, with the dreaded stories about, "Are predators living in your neighborhood?"

7. Drtooth

Think I watched it a while ago under Muppetdude's YT account. Can't remember if he made it a commentary or a YTP or something...

Still, I have no problem with little kids having safe costumes, but hate that they do that with adult costumes. It's cute on a 3-6 year old, but it's pathetic looking on an grown man. I don't see why they make those like that.

Oh...wait...I get it. They're cheaper that way. Don't give anyone a decent mask with a costume. If you want a good mask, you have to shell out another 30+ bucks for a good mask. I'm not going to say that they don't make good grown person costumes anymore, but when did they ever before the (at the very earliest) 90's?

8. heralde

Personally, I've only ever watched Fat Albert for Rudy, lol.

9. Drtooth

Not to mention that both Arthur and Berenstain Bears willfully stole from that special. The whole "she's not really a witch, she's a lonely old woman who somehow has the best treats on the block" bit. Arthur's Halloween was a blatant knockoff, as were the Bears. The Bears had theirs animated in the 2003 Nelvana series. At least when Arthur had a Halloween episode animated, they went for a new story.

10. heralde

True, lol. Now, Witch's Night Out, that was much more original and edgy, both in plot and animation. I was actually worried about what would happen to Small and Tender, lol. And Gilda Radner, great job of course as the witch. And you know I just found out recently that Small and Tender and Bazooey (a name you'd only hear in a 70s special, lol) came from an earlier Christmas special, The Gift of Winter.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  11. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I get it, safety first for toddlers. But yeah, check out some of the costumes on eBay, for the amount of money you're shelling out, some look so...CHEAP.
    Not only are some costumes made of paper-thin fabric, Bugs Bunny does not have bare hands, and does not wear black Reebok's.
    If you're going to get a costume, even if it's just one day a year, it should look convincing.
    There are actual costume rental stores, where you can get a mascot-quality costume: plush fur, decent mask (which won't impair your breathing or your vision), white gloves, rabbit feet.
    Costumes can get pricey, but for the money you're spending, you shouldn't have to settle for a thin pair of pajamas.

12. Drtooth

9 times out of 10, you're better off making your own costume. At least if it looks cheap, it's because you didn't spend much on it. And if you're willing to shell out that much money on a costume, there are professional costume markers who you can give your first born to online if you can trust them.

But I'm never impressed with off the shelf costumes. A good plastic or rubber mask, maybe, but the 50+ dollar bagged licensed ones are atrocious. I remember seeing Flintstones costumes (you know, the thing that's cereal mascots and vitamins unless you're over 35?) a couple years back that came with an ugly wig and just the fake animal furs they wear. Bare feet sold separately, and you didn't even look as good as Mark Addy and Stephen Baldwin in the prequel movie. The Betty and Wilma ones were meh, certainly a step up from the usual woman's costume. And those were the best ones I've seen in recent memory!

13. heralde

Well that's the thing, they know these costumes are likely to only be used once. ;)

14. Drtooth

That is a valid point. Though I'd point out there's one of either two issues here. Either price the cheaply made one time use costumes so they're more affordable or make the costumes out of better material that actually looks like what its supposed to and earn that price. They're the worst of both worlds with high priced cheapness.

I haven't seen the Bugs costume that Fuzzygobo is speaking of, but I have a feeling that Mike Matei's Bugs Bunny costume in the AVGN video about how crappy Looney Tunes NES games were (made 7 years ago) is a far superior costume.

And it's not really that good either.

heralde likes this.
  15. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

This is part nostalgia/part good luck/part being in the right place at the right time. This dear sweet lady (can't remember her name, but can remember where her house was) used to give out giant Hershey bars for Halloween. Nobody else could afford to do this, unless she had some connections with the Hershey company. Or she just liked to see kids' eyes swell up the size of baseballs putting a giant Krackle bar in your Halloween stash.
    Sadly, it's been about forty years since Mrs. What's-Her-Name ruled the Halloween scene. Like the Great Pumpkin, you only saw her once a year (and unlike the Great Pumpkin, she never disappointed any kid).
    Thank you, Mrs. What's-Her-Name, for your unheard-of generosity.
    Future generations of trick or treater's can only be green with envy.

heralde likes this.
  16. D'Snowth

Broadcasting has a history of airing shows and movies out of season: they broadcast Christmas movies and shows all year long, that's something that's a given and ya just have to accept it.

But this is perhaps one of the more bizarre things I've seen yet: what's the deal with airing Easter specials around Halloween right now?

17. heralde

Where and what special?

18. D'Snowth

CN evidently aired a TEEN TITANS GO! Easter special over the weekend, and likewise, an Easter episode of AFV was on yesterday on that new UP channel as well.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  19. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I didn't know that AFV was on UP. Do you know what version of the show that they are airing?

20. Drtooth

Yeah, but I don't think that really counts, as CN runs a cluster of TTG episodes at a time, seemingly mindlessly. That's something that just so happens when you air a show as many times as day as they do.