Halloween is just around the corner

Drtooth

Reaction score
Halloween was practically "canceled" that year due to 9-11.
GAH! Remember that threat? The whole "we shouldn't let terrorism rule our lives or they win, but we're too afraid of anything to not give in" attitude? I fail to see why ever since, Halloween has taken a huge aback to Christmas.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Bah. What happened to the days where 20 year olds could go trick or treating and no one said anything about it? In my neighborhood growing up you saw a lot of people in their 20s dressed up trick or treating. No one cared :|

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess it's because back in those days, there weren't as many threats or concerns about stuff like... y'know... pedophiles and child predators and stuff? I mean, when you think about it, for grown people to go around dressed in costumes and asking for candy does seem a little... "odd"... but they still do it, they just don't go to houses and ask for candy, they just go to conventions and pretend they're the characters they're dressed as, they call it "Cosplay". :stick_out_tongue:

And touching on Drtooth's point, yes, ever since 9-11, trick or treating has seen a huge downturn... apparently, more and more schools and churches hold parties on Halloween night to let the kids have their usual fun in a safer and more secure environment; as I said earlier in response to Sarge, there's also a really big fear about predators in this day and age... seriously, every year on the local news, a day or two before Halloween, there's ALWAYS a news story about, "Do YOU know if sex offenders are living in YOUR neighborhood? Let's take a look... John Doe lives a 1613 Road Street, two doors down from where you live, he's a registered sex offender, and he's not supposed to live here because this neighborhood is full of children, and he looks like he's ready to invite children over to his house for trick or treating. There he is, let's ambush him with obvious questions. Mr. Doe, you realize you're a registered sex offender right? Do you know you're not supposed to live in a neighborhood full of children? Why are you living here and why are you going to be letting children come to your house for Halloween? Mr. Doe, are you ignoring us? Why are you running away from us and locking yourself in your house? There's more predators like Mr. Doe living in your neighborhoods, and that's why Halloween is no longer fun for children, back to you in the studio."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I guess it's because back in those days, there weren't as many threats or concerns about stuff like... y'know... pedophiles and child predators and stuff?
Thing is, the concern is greater now but not always the facts. It's actually more likely for a child to be attacked by a family member than some random weird stranger.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thing is, the concern is greater now but not always the facts. It's actually more likely for a child to be attacked by a family member than some random weird stranger.
You know the old wive's tale about razor blades in candy? A father did that to his own child, and not one of the neighborhood residents. Checking candy seems almost completely pointless now.

Of course, I'd tend to think that any poison you could put it would be neutralized by the chemicals that make up modern candy anyway.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know the old wive's tale about razor blades in candy? A father did that to his own child, and not one of the neighborhood residents. Checking candy seems almost completely pointless now.
There you go, it's one of those old fashioned mentalities where we blame the minorities or unattractive people, meanwhile ignoring issues right in our own homes.

Of course, I'd tend to think that any poison you could put it would be neutralized by the chemicals that make up modern candy anyway.
Lol, yeah seriously you need to be checking those candys for carcinogens, not razors!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, immediately the day after Thanksgiving, radio stations start cranking out the Christmas music right and left, which begs the question... why isn't there ever any Halloween music on the radio every October? I only really had my first exposure to Halloween music a couple of years ago when I discovered Comcast's Sounds of the Season Music Choice channel started playing Halloween songs a week or so into October (because German music was in play for Oktoberfest); there's a lot of great Halloween-related songs out there, which just gets me to thinking why Halloween music isn't a staple like Christmas music is.

My playlist:
"Monster Mash" - Bobby "Boris" Pickett
"Witch Doctor" - Alvin and The Chipmunks
"Ghostbusters" - Ray Parker, Jr.
"Werewolves of London" - Warren Zevon
"Vampire Girl" - Jonathan Richman
"Here Comes the Bride (of Frankenstein)" - Elvira/The B-52s
"Dracula" - Bob Marley
"It's Halloween" - GT
"Monsters Convoy" - The Hillbilly Varmints
"Nightmare on My Street" - Fresh Prince (Will Smith)
"Redneck Drac" - Dr. Elmo
"Purple People Eater" - Sheb Wooley
"Out of Limits" - The Marketts
"Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" - Johann Sebastian Bach (that creepy organ tune they always play in haunted houses)
"Monster Swim" - Bobby "Boris" Pickett

Then of course, there's also this:
http://www.halloweenradio.net

Kinda like MC Radio, but it's Halloween music 24/7 all year long.

cjd874

Reaction score
You know, immediately the day after Thanksgiving, radio stations start cranking out the Christmas music right and left, which begs the question... why isn't there ever any Halloween music on the radio every October? I only really had my first exposure to Halloween music a couple of years ago when I discovered Comcast's Sounds of the Season Music Choice channel started playing Halloween songs a week or so into October (because German music was in play for Oktoberfest); there's a lot of great Halloween-related songs out there, which just gets me to thinking why Halloween music isn't a staple like Christmas music is.

My playlist:
"Monster Mash" - Bobby "Boris" Pickett
"Witch Doctor" - Alvin and The Chipmunks
"Ghostbusters" - Ray Parker, Jr.
"Werewolves of London" - Warren Zevon
"Vampire Girl" - Jonathan Richman
"Here Comes the Bride (of Frankenstein)" - Elvira/The B-52s
"Dracula" - Bob Marley
"It's Halloween" - GT
"Monsters Convoy" - The Hillbilly Varmints
"Nightmare on My Street" - Fresh Prince (Will Smith)
"Redneck Drac" - Dr. Elmo
"Purple People Eater" - Sheb Wooley
"Out of Limits" - The Marketts
"Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" - Johann Sebastian Bach (that creepy organ tune they always play in haunted houses)
"Monster Swim" - Bobby "Boris" Pickett

Then of course, there's also this:
http://www.halloweenradio.net

Kinda like MC Radio, but it's Halloween music 24/7 all year long.
Dude. If you're into rock music, I think you should add "Frankenstein" (by the Edgar Winter Group) to that list. And possibly a Blue Öyster Cult song like "Godzilla" or "Don't Fear the Reaper."

I go to college in New York, and last year there was basically no Halloween because of Hurricane Sandy. So I predict that from October 27-November 2, it is going to be one huge Halloween party all week long. I'm hoping to go to a friend's party in Staten Island, dressed as a ninja. It actually might not be a good idea, considering that it's late at night and ninjas wear black. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there, so to speak.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up, D'Snowth! Now I don't have to keep searching for holiday music including Halloween anymore.
No prob. There's also a Christmas radio, I think they have a link to it.
Dude. If you're into rock music, I think you should add "Frankenstein" (by the Edgar Winter Group) to that list. And possibly a Blue Öyster Cult song like "Godzilla" or "Don't Fear the Reaper."
Haha, everytime I hear "Don't Fear the Reaper", I can't help but think of that SNL skit with Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken.

"Booys, listen... I got a fevuh... and the only prescription... is moor cowbell..."