1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Happy birthday Jim, wherever you are

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by CherryPizza, Sep 23, 2006.

1. CherryPizza

CherryPizza Active Member

It's already September 24th here in Australia, so I thought I'd jump in with a birthday memorium for the man whom I can only describe as my life's greatest influence.

From the simplest notion that puppets can have flexible faces for this crazy new medium called television, grew the icon of a man who proved that your passions, your ideas and your dreams don't have to be boxed into these straightjackets called 'genres'. Here was someone who showed us that the most unrelated entities could belong together as long as you're passionate about them all. It was this belief that let us share Kermit the Frog's every heartache as he refused to believe that the oddballs he united for The Muppet Show wouldn't somehow belong together. We saw the same frog feel so painfully 'normal' surrounded by this chaos, but somehow we understood that because he (like Jim) had this irrational belief that everything could come together and function like a well-oiled frogmobile, he was in some ways the craziest of the lot.

From the Muppets' earliest lessons on Sesame Street about C - A - T spelling 'cat' to the more bizarre yet passionate creatures who taught us to read between the lines; from the simple messages in Bein' Green and The Rainbow Connection about loving the world you're in right now to the new worlds he created with Fraggles, Gelflings or goblings, you see a man who showed great simplicity with his wide diversity. The only way to describe his style would simply be 'what he loved'. How to describe his job title? Puppeteer? Designer? Performer? Writer? Producer? Director? Collaborator? His work would not have been the same unless he had been all these things at once, and been them with the gentle heart and fast-throbbing ideas that made so much magic happen. The only way to identify him is with his grandest title of all: 'Jim Henson'. There may be other people with the same name, but there'll never be another one of him.

Why was he so special? How do you describe him in a few simple words? Well, to misquote one of Kermit's famous songs...

Why are there so many songs about Muppets
    And what's this Henson wave we ride
    Muppets are visions, but only foam and fleece
    And Muppets have nothing inside
    So we've been told and some choose to belive it
    We know they're wrong, as you see
    Because we've found it, The Muppet Connection
    The lovers, the dreamers and me
  2. robinthefrog

robinthefrog New Member

Well said mate. Happy birthday Jim!
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That was very clever, I'm sure Jim would like that. Happy Birthday Jim and Steve!
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That was very clever, I'm sure Jim would appreciate it.

Happy Birthday Jim and Steve!
  5. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to you Jim Henson, my idol, mmy inspiration, and the greatest person that ever lived. :) :D :p
  6. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

7. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

Happy Birthday Jim, my inspiration, my hero, my friend.

BJ
  8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I don't really have much more to say that I haven't already said in my respect to Jim Henson.

I miss you, Jim.
  9. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

*raises a glass* Here's to you Jim, happy birthday and thanks for everything.
  10. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

thank u Jim (and Steve) we all miss u and love u...

Happy 70th Jim! :) :D :sympathy:
  11. muppetwriter

muppetwriter Active Member

Happy 70th Birthday to one of the most creative and inspiring artists of the 20th century, Jim Henson. I still think about how much different life would've been like for the Muppets if he lived to this very day.

God Bless You, Jim. You were definitely the most MARVELOUS one of all.:)
  12. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Happy birthday to my hero Jim henson and my pal Stevie Whitmire! ;)
    have a good one you guys, love ya both, cheers guys! :excited:

BTW CheeryPizza, I thought your tribute at the beginning of this thread was v.v. touching- but good-as!
  13. superfan

superfan Active Member

Happy , happy birthday to a wonderful man, an inspiration to all of us here.
    Your spirit lives on.
    God bless.
  14. CherryPizza

CherryPizza Active Member

make that GOBLINS :)
  15. superboober

superboober Member

He still lives in an ephemeral sense. If you can somehow read this, Jim, thank you for helping to make me me. :) :p
  16. Sylinde Bren

Sylinde Bren Member

Though belated, happy birthday, Mr. Henson. I love you. <3
  17. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

Happy birthday to one of my heros.
  18. Muppet Matt

Muppet Matt Active Member

Happy birthday Jim! And thanks for all the Muppets you gave us!
  19. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I don't want to muffin this thread about Jim here, but HEY Matt!!! How's it going? Good to see you, we've missed you!
  20. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Hay Matt, good to see you again!!!:excited: :excited: :)