Happy That Day from Back to the Future II!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can't say I'm not depressed a little about this, but we've finally hit the mark where the future in Back to the Future 2 is the present. The film officially has become one of those zeerust things. And to state the obvious, what they predicted was wrong, but what they didn't predict was much more impressive as these things are known for.

That said, sure we have no Jaws 19 (or do we...?
) or hoverboards... but what I'm most depressed about is, why don't we have any 80's cafes? You'd think that would have been a big thing with Millennials.

Oh. And the first issue of a limited series BTTF comic from IDW starts today. Obviously on purpose to coincide with the date.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
We also still have to use our hands for a lot of things, meaning we all play with baby toys. Though ironically, some video game systems have motion control, meaning you can play some video games without using your hands. The movie incorrectly predicted that video games would lose popularity (maybe they should have just made the kids unaware of arcade machines instead).

And there's no Gray's Sports Almanac, and Princess Diana is dead, much less never becoming queen (read the 2015 newspaper Doc shows Marty). And people don't wear their pockets inside-out.

Lately, I've been thinking about something else we can blame it on. We can blame it on anything Marty and Doc did in 1885. After all, they prevented Clara Clayton from falling into the ravine, they hijacked a train and made it go off the ravine. Marty caused Buford Tannen to go to jail. A tombstone was broken (and if Marty hadn't gone back to save Doc, it would have been purchased for Doc instead of whoever bought it before Doc went back to 1885).

but what I'm most depressed about is, why don't we have any 80's cafes? You'd think that would have been a big thing with Millennials.
I don't think think there's ever been any themed restaurants for any decades other than the 1950s. We haven't had '60s or '70s restaurants, either. But you could say that the movie predicted that 1980s pop culture would become popular around this time (the popularity of the '80s is still as popular as it was last decade, right?).

Last edited:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing I was kind of rooting for the most were the self-lacing shoes/boots/footware. That, and why the heck don't we have that oven that you stick raw dough into and get a full combo works pizza in just a minute?

But the biggest concern I have, knowing that this will probably happen today as well what with the New York Mets completing a sweep... Will they have to change the scene with the man outside the clock tower talking about wishing he'd put some money on the Cubs after seeing the announcement of how they won the 2015 NL pennant? If that scene's gone, then what would have prompted Marty to buy that D* sports almanac?
Great Scott!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for double-posting, but there are several articles, one precisely on the stars of BTTF talking about what they got right and wrong over at IGN Filmforce's site.

Also, I'm personally waiting to hear if Universal Studios will have some huge party planned to celebrate the date September 1 2017 in a couple years, as that's the date the HP epilogue took place on in Deathly Hallows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think think there's ever been any themed restaurants for any decades other than the 1950s. We haven't had '60s or '70s restaurants, either. But you could say that the movie predicted that 1980s pop culture would become popular around this time (the popularity of the '80s is still as popular as it was last decade, right?).
I've noticed that. While we've had shows of every era every past decade (Happy Days in the 70's representing the 50's, That 70's Show in the 90's which was self explanatory, and the Goldbergs representing the 80's in 2010's), but we just haven't moved on from 1950's style diners. And even then, are they still around. Now, I remember hearing on a local show of an 80's themed diner, but it was essentially a regular diner with some Breakfast Club posters all over the walls. In fact, I seem to recall it pretty much was more Breakfast Club themed than totally 80's themed. Obvious pun, as diners...you know... serve breakfast, usually all day long depending. Certainly nothing as fantastic as the Video Cafe from the movie, and something tells me that's a chain in the BTTF movie-verse. Pretty much a jab at Johnny Rockets.

That said, I'd hate to see a 70's diner. Those Disco balls would cause seizures or something.

We also still have to use our hands for a lot of things, meaning we all play with baby toys. Though ironically, some video game systems have motion control, meaning you can play some video games without using your hands. The movie incorrectly predicted that video games would lose popularity (maybe they should have just made the kids unaware of arcade machines instead).

Well... there's a hint of unintentional truth to that. Most gamers just feel that anything made before the advent of the FPS is childish. And arcades are kinda dying out if not completely dead (Dave and Busters/Chuck E. Cheese type places not withstanding, and there's the odd arcade here and there at some beach towns). I know of a pizza place with a Donkey Kong machine. That's about it.

Then I get to thinking about the 1990's and the video games of the future, virtual reality. Any future related media made from the 80's through about the late 90's swore that virtual reality was the wave of the future. And yes, we have Google Glass and Oculous Rift and stuff, but the console game is still king and iPhone type games are a money making scam...errr... sensation. But you don't see the big full immersion beasts that we were promised back then, especially in the meh video game "Virtual Bart." Where's my completely unsafe gyroscope I'm supposed to be strapped to? I just see bigger iPads with Fruit Ninja that takes a buck to play.

But that's one of those things that no one could predict, yet somehow they managed to get the mood of the modern gamer (certain kinds, anyway) perfectly in that sequence. I don't think anyone under the age of 30 would be caught dead playing Wild Gunman.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They also sort of correctly predicted newspapers that can update their articles instantly. That's not too far off from online news sources.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm quite irritated that we still can't order food from a computerized Michael Jackson.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that. While we've had shows of every era every past decade (Happy Days in the 70's representing the 50's, That 70's Show in the 90's which was self explanatory, and the Goldbergs representing the 80's in 2010's),
I thought Everyone Hates Chris was the big 1980s show (after That '80s Show failed).

I'm surprised that there still hasn't been a sitcom taking place in the 1990s. Seems like each decade now gets a successful sitcom two decades later. Then again, most of them begin in the late half of that decade.