1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Happytime Murders Film

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by stephenjlizard, Oct 15, 2008.

1. I've been seeing this for the past day or so. Henson has picked up a spec script for a new film where puppets are the victims in a murder mystery. If you haven't heard about it, read it here.

I guess I have two questions. 1) Do you want to hear much about this on The MuppetCast? and 2) ....Really? A film noir murder mystery about puppets getting murdered (in a world, no less, where puppets are considered second-class citizens)? I know nothing about the script, but it just doesn't sound good to me. Am I alone on this? Should I reserve commentary until more is revealed (which, let's be realistic, might be a year or two)?
  2. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

This could prove to be a very good movie. I'll reserve my judgement until after I see it.

As for mentioning it on the MuppetCast I agree Steve that if you do include it, then it should be postponed until more information is eventually revealed.
    Chopped Liver likes this.
  3. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Well... If the "second class citizen" part is going to be played up in an over-sarcastic manner, if done crudely, wouldn't garner my attention. But it could be done well in the right hands. Either the people behind Mystery Science Theater 3000 or TV Funland, a brief series that ran on Comedy Central. Meh, it all depends on how it's done and portrayed. Hope this helps somewhat.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

This sounds like Roger Rabbit with Muppets. Me likey! :D
    miss kermie likes this.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I like the idea. And Henson is just the company to make it work as something beyond the "Let's take something from a primarily children's medium and juxtapose it with decidedly unchildish things." groove. It gets so stale after a while.
  6. So far I seem to be in the minority in as far as my apathy for the idea, hehe. Frogboy4, I didn't even make that connection with Roger Rabbit, wow! Very perceptive :)

I just don't know if this is the project that brings Henson back into the feature film limelight. Then again, I don't know that DC2 or FR will do it either, mostly because I see an announcement in the future that this too will be a direct-to-DVD feature. Prove me wrong!
  7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Well, don't feel bad Steve, I find myself in the minority of having liked MWoO. This new project could be as much of an "experience" as other upcoming points on their slate like Francis the Talking Mule and/or The Big Blue Elephant. What was that even about? Nah, I'd focus on finishing the CPA special features, and maybe a review of The Tortoise vs. The Hare from Unstable Fables on the podcast.
  8. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

9. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Hmm, interesting. So much happening right now! I don't know how I feel about this one yet either (although I'm leaning towards skeptical), but I am thrilled at how much people seem to love the Muppets. There used to be this stigma (at least, that's how I interpreted it) that the Muppets were lame to the general public. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case at all and people look as lovingly and fondly at them as we do.
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I never got the feeling that the muppets were looked down upon...I guess it must depend on where you live. My town is mostly older people...
  11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well Segal did say he was initially laughed at when he pitched his desire to work with the Muppets. There are some who have that reaction, heh.
  12. Drtooth

Guys... this is NOT a muppet movie. it is a Henson movie... and it's already being discussed in "Muppet Worlds"
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

This actually sounds really good so far to me! It sounds well executed and like it runs deeper than your run of the mill adult puppet fare on TV. It's like they put some thought and substance behind it instead of humor for a cheap laugh. I guess we just have to see how things turn out. But so far form with the article says I am liking it so far.
  14. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I completely understand, but as far as the rest of the world goes, the general public is still going to make the connection of Heson to Muppets. I doubt the average Joe doesn't know the intricate details of who owns what (heck, I'm not even sure Iknow the intricate details). Besides, the point is that the writer of this article seems so excited.
  15. Drtooth

I was referring to the fact that the threads should be merged, and that this was discussed anywhere. Hope this clears up the confusion.
  16. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Hmmm... the whole puppets as second class citizens thing reminds me slightly of Greg the Bunny.
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Most everything has "been done" in one way or another. Art is not created in a vacuum. The only difference in projects is the individual artistic slant that can't be fully appreciated until the film is flickering across theater screens. One thing I can assume is it will not resemble Meet the Feebles. He he. :o
  18. wombat woman

wombat woman New Member

Puppet Noir

(I wasn't sure where to put this thread. It has nothing to do with Puppets Up! but does relate to Henson Alternative.)

Latest press release from JHC:

http://www.henson.com/press_releases/2008-10-14.pdf

This could be really good, or could fall on its, um, posterior. But leastway's it ought to be interesting to see develop.

It does sound a bit Greg-the-Bunnyish in parts. (This is not a bad thing.)

Dawn
  19. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

It also makes me think of the Happy Time Friends or whatever it was called on Angel w/ the evil puppets.
  20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I believe it was Smile Time on Angel. :halo:

Wow, that is very similar in title. I'm sure this will be distinct and the the closest quality Muppet-type parody. Maybe if it is a success it will help fuel funding for the Dark Crystal project. :scary: