"The Happytime Murders" premieres August 24, 2018

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think it's really important for films like Happytime to help modern audiences understand that puppetry is an art form and not just kids' entertainment. There are still people who complained that Grover wasn't in the Muppets movie. I guess we'll always get those people who aren't paying attention.

MWoO

Reaction score
And sadly those are the people that have the loudest voices and ruin it for everyone.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it's really important for films like Happytime to help modern audiences understand that puppetry is an art form and not just kids' entertainment. There are still people who complained that Grover wasn't in the Muppets movie. I guess we'll always get those people who aren't paying attention.
At the very least, they could at least find the juxtaposition of adult themes and puppets is ironic or something.

Though it is a shame they couldn't get the licensing to get any Sesame Street cameos in the film.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys. There's an article over at ign.filmforce.com about this project. Writer Todd Berger says the production is embracing its R-rating and that the Henson Company's ramping up puppet creations for the movie. Not much details, thought you'd like to know. :scary:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I think that is a really bad idea. I think they should go for a PG-13 rating. If they go for R, it's just going to die at the box office, I don't think anyone will see it.

MWoO

Reaction score
I'm torn. On one hand an r rating would certainly keep people from mistaking this movie for the muppets an would prevent kids from tricking their parents into letting them see it. On the other hand it certainly limits the audience. But if all they want are adults then it doesn't really matter.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I see what they're trying to do. The key point is that any vulgarity should be there to set a tone and instead of just wedging it in gratuitously for the sake of seeing puppets being naughty. In all honesty, a larger studio usually buys up the rights to release a picture and they often require edits for marketing and they can always pull back some of the content from the theatrical release if they think a PG-13 is a better bet. Either way, I'd expect an unrated DVD.

Kudos to Brian Henson if he can find funds for an R-rated puppet film. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Feebles because I understand what they were trying to do. It wasn't an affront to the Muppet Show. It was actually an homage done on a shoestring budget. I can also understand why some dislike the crude tone. That's the lens Peter Jackson saw the project through. I just think it's time a legit, quality film from a Henson is made for the adult market.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that is a really bad idea. I think they should go for a PG-13 rating. If they go for R, it's just going to die at the box office, I don't think anyone will see it.
The movie isn't going to be a hit if it's R or PG-13. It's not destined for that at all. The weekend will see how well R-rated comedy Ted does, and that has the Seth MacFarline powerhouse behind it.

This movie's not supposed to be the next Hangover. It's clearly supposed to be the next Bubba HoTep. Something done on a small budget, kept independent, become a cult hit on home video, and to be shown at college town theaters for years to come. It will give Henson a leg up, and if it manages to at least make just over budget during its short run, give them a small amount of money to do another small project.

I say GO for the R rating. Pg-13 will stifle all the wonderfully awful things they want to do with this film (as if not holding a lot of sway in Hollywood isn't going to stifle what they can do in the context of an R film anyway)... the last Die Hard movie was a laughing stock because it had to be dumbed down to a Pg-13 rating. Just don't go X. X is why Basketball and another Matt and Trey movie I can't mention here were flops. Not to mention Tetsuka's Cleopatra film.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
So is this a go project or is it still in the works? I'd love to see this. Is Brain going solo with this or is this an Henson Alternative project. Personally I'd love to see another R rated puppet movie. I enjoy adult puppetry a lot. Spitting Image, Crank Yankers, Greg the Bunny, etc. Plus I've heard some good things said by Jerry Juhl about Puppets that Kill from Canada which I still need to check out.

Anyone ever seen Meet The Feebles or Team America? I thought those films were genius. Again, I'd love to see Happy Time Murders, it would be the next Feebles or Team America I bet. Probably not as gory as Feebles. lol

I'm sort of writing a screenplay for an R-rated puppet movie myself. Still don't know if it'll be an indie film or an actual Hollywood studio film. I need to write a new draft of it. :smile: