1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Has Any Other Internation Version Done This?

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by D'Snowth, Dec 22, 2006.

1. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I was watching a new episode of Plaza Sesamo on VOD today, and to my surprise there was an American sketch on there (dubbed of course) featuring Big Bird! I thought Sesame Workshop said they couldn't have Big Bird (with the exception of China), but I assume they didn't apply it to inserts? Has Big Bird made an appearance on any other international Sesame Street before?
  2. travellingpat Active Member

On PS they do dub a lot of American sketches...ive seen many on there whenever i watch it....dont know about the other shows though....sorry
  3. Son of Enik Member

Whenever I get to back to Guatemala, I watch Plaza Sesamo, and have not only seen Big Bird but many American sketches and characters dubbed into Spanish. I have only seen a small handful of songs dubbed, but it's an interesting expirience seeing the classic clips in another language.
  4. muppet_dk Active Member

Big Bird, or Bibo as he is called in Germany, sketches appear often on Sesam Strasse. And back in the days Big Bird was a visitor on Sesam Strasse.

What Sesame Workshop is against is to have Big Bird as a cast member in the local produced segments. So the only place Big Bird is a cast member outside the US is in China.
  5. Ilikemuppets New Member

I used to whach this show all the time. I hadn't seen it in a while but caught it recently. I never really paid attention to notice Big Bird was on there.
  6. BEAR Active Member

I've also heard something about Big Bird not being allowed to be in the other International casts, but is he the only one? Are other U.S. characters allowed to? And what are the reasons for this?
  7. Ilikemuppets New Member

You know, I thought I saw the Elmo on the Japanees show.
  8. Pino Member

The reason is that Big Bird is kind of an american Icon. The producer where affraid that it was to much USA interfearence if they let Big Bird also in the show. There for they replaced him (full body puppet) for a puppet that suits the country they produce that international show in.
    So Germany has a bear as international icon and Holland the blue pigionlike Big Bird ;)

Oh and other muppets r allowed.. even Snuffy is seen in Holland lol
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Big Bird ONLY appears in Dubbed sketches. Can I piggy back on this thread and ask my own question?

Does any other international version of SS use dubbed clips from Sesame Park? Plaza Sesamo does. 2 songs featuring a muppet in a wheelchair that didn't look like an American character were used, and one segment was a dubbed skit where Basil can't tie his shoes.
  10. MrsPepper Active Member

Aaah! I think the wheelchair girl was Katie. She had red braids? Man, best show ever.
  11. Pino Member

Cool that is something for the Muppet Wiki!
  12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone will believe me, mostly because I have no actual proof. They did this breifly in one of the last seasons before the restructuring of the show.
  13. Cherrymoon New Member

It is hard to tell where all the sketches and animation come from. I will keep a lookout on Sesamstrasse(Germany).

I am pretty sure the American cast can visit the other streets. I know I have seen Ernie on Sesamstrasse helping to take care of a baby.
  14. Cherrymoon New Member

Today on Sesamstrasse they had one clip on salt. It looks Indian with Indian music. It is a live action. Has anyone seen this clip in the States?