1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Has Elmo's voice changed over the years?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Rugby, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Rugby

Rugby Member

Is it just me or has it changed? I've been listening to muppet radio all night and whenever an Elmo piece comes on, I can barely stand it. How did Kevin Clash morph Elmo's voice into the way it is today without us noticing right away? I like the old Elmo voice.

The current Elmo voice sounds like a variation of Howie Mandell's Bobby from Bobby's World. I don't know why, but Elmo's current voice just makes me cringe. Tell me I'm not wrong and that Elmo used to sound different.

It just seems like Kevin uses too much "bubble" in his voice when he does Elmo now. It's where you put the back of your tongue in the back of your throat and talk. It's just annoying and the pitch goes right to the bone. Anybody agree? Or am I in big trouble? :(
  2. zyzzybalubah

zyzzybalubah New Member

From Elmo's bio on the S-E:

Name: Elmo
    Seasons: 11 - present
    Years: 1979 - present
    Performers: Brian Muehl 1979-1981, Richard Hunt 1981-1985, Kevin Clash 1985-present

You probably heard one of his early performers. I agree, Clash is a bit annoying as Elmo. I mute the volume whenever his voice is on MR.
  3. It's so hard to hate elmo.
  4. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Kevin Clash's Elmo sounded more scratchy in its earlier incarnations from the mid-eighties to early nineties.

Plus, his speaking skills weren't really refined yet. His English wasn't as developed: "Elmo love Linda!" as opposed to now: "Elmo loves Linda!"

Check the episode where Elmo helps Snuffy be revealed to everyone and also the clip of early Elmo and Jim Henson's Ernie singing: "One Fine Face."
  5. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

I REALLY THINK THAT IT CHANGED WHEN HE BECAME "THE MAN" :p
  6. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see what you mean. I've watched the 20th anniversary special recently and noticed that Elmo sounded slightly different than he does now. Actually, I thought "One Fine Face" was Steve's Ernie. That's what it said on the Lyrics Archive.
  7. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

That's not what most people say around here. :)
  8. froggiegirl18

froggiegirl18 New Member

It makes sense that the voice has changed because so has the age group who now watches Sesame Street. At first I didn't like Elmo because he took the place of Big Bird..that was who I grew up with. My mind was changed after watching a clip from a dvd of him performing the voice without elmo doing "Lydia the Tatoo lady",it made me smile and now everytime I see or hear Elmo I also see Kevin..Elmo is truly his character.
  9. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Nope Jim Henson was doing Ernie in that song.
  10. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I see. Then they should probably change that at the archive.