Has Sesame become less educational?

beforemyway

Reaction score
so.. is it just me, or does anyone else think the Sesame street show has degraded over the years? Hasn't it become much less eucational? I use to love the show, but it really seams to have degraded.

DTF

Reaction score
It would be ironic if they did downgrade it - which it feels like that to me but it's hard to tell - because Kindergarten seems to be getting tougher, more kids required to know their letters, numbers, etc.. I still remember entering Kindergarten in '74 and being able to count to 50, the only kid who could do that. I won't even get into reading, I was far above everyone else there, but it seems like nowadays, I wouldn't be *that* far ahead of my peers.

ceecee

Reaction score
It seems to me that it's less educational now. Think of all the things that used to be covered in one episode. The letters and numbers used to have tons of different sketches. Now we get the number of the day mentioned once with The Count and the letter of the day once with Cookie Monster. They don't spend as much time hammering the point home to kids. They count to the number once and Cookie Monster mentions like 3 words that start with the letter. I don't think that has the same educational effect on kids.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
ceecee said:
It seems to me that it's less educational now. Think of all the things that used to be covered in one episode. The letters and numbers used to have tons of different sketches. Now we get the number of the day mentioned once with The Count and the letter of the day once with Cookie Monster. They don't spend as much time hammering the point home to kids. They count to the number once and Cookie Monster mentions like 3 words that start with the letter. I don't think that has the same educational effect on kids.
Absolutely.Not only all of the afore mentioned,but what about the sketches on sharing,cooperation;things of that nature? I learned most of my early morals,alphabet and numbers from SS(started reading at 3). I miss the early days of SS,where you had a lot of sketches like One of these things;made you learn about differences. Like I mentioned in previous threads,SS nowadays: begins most of their shows with 12 minutes with something,Journey to Ernie,Cookie and the letter of the day,Count with his organ and the number of the day,Elmo's World,and the rest of the time filler talk with either puppets and/or humans.:smirk:

superfan

Reaction score
Because I had a few extra days off, I decided to sit and watch SS with my daughter...front to back. I haven't done that in quite some time. Today in particular..lemme see:

A little story of ELMO trying to get Miles, Gordon and his Grandfather (who looked suspiciuosly like Miles in his younger days, which is funny since Miles was adopted...but I digress) to sing the Wubba Wubba Wubba song with him. The song was dismal, lemme tell ya. So there's 15 minutes gone.
Then we have a couple cartoons about nothing in particular, the letter of the day is K with Prairie Dawn and Cookie, a K cartoon, Grover takes us to Australia to have a kid show us his underground home and Global Thingy teaches (??) the value of sharing popcorn with everyone, rather than eating it out of your own head...trust me. Then the Count announces the Number Four which itself is awful, Journey to Ernie chugs along and has a Bert and Ernie skit at the end in which Ernie just looks darn CREEPY and then Elmo's World...the highlight of which Mr.Noodle and his brother Mr.Noodle try to remember their Noodle Family dance.
There you have it. Some pieces may be considered educational, but there's far too little of it and it's not reinforced.
My husband and I exchanged bewildered glances on more than one occassion throughout the show.
Thank goodness I have old clips and shows on tape.
:stick_out_tongue:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I can't tell if it's less smart, or I'm more smart :wink:

seriously, though...I can kinda see the point, but I think overrall it's a different type of education....

King Jim

Reaction score
beforemyway said:
so.. is it just me, or does anyone else think the Sesame street show has degraded over the years? Hasn't it become much less eucational? I use to love the show, but it really seams to have degraded.
They still Talk about letters?

Dantecat

Reaction score
They sure do! But it's not as much educational like it used to always be! They should change it the it used to always be liked jim henson was still living! :sympathy:

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
I did a whole Power Point Presentation on how Sesame Street's educational value has declined. I keep saying I think Elmo is evil, and it's because he brings nothing but cuteness (I shudder while I say this) to the show! Now it's not just Elmo, the whole format of the show has changed, and they do not teach all the values, morals and principles that they did in the old days not to mention the decrease in teaching reading and counting. I am very disappointed with the product they air these days, and will always cherish the memories of the classic sketches, songs and episodes.

mupitz

Reaction score
I agree, of course, that I dislike the current format of Sesame Street. I grew up with it and loved it but I can barely sit through it with my children these days. Even the prime time anniversary special was a rip off. I can't stand ELMO. He's SS's Barney (no offense to Barney aficionados). I remember there being a central theme that lasted the HOUR in between the fun but educational skits. The theme was a social skill and the letters and numbers of the day were reinforced through the skits.

Now it's a strictly enforced schedule with none of the glee I remember and way too much emphasis on ELMO. Give me back the Sesame of my youth and put Elmo back in the second story window he graced in "Follow That Bird".