Hasbro's Sesame line to be unveiled at Toy Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's a little of what to expect

As you all know, the Mattel license has ended in 2009 or so, and Hasbro picked it up not too long ago. Now, what's really interesting is this quote:

With the Sesame Street playset, Perez said the objective was to showcase the entire cast of Sesame Street characters. "Moms told us that kids love all the characters on the show but they can't seem to find all of them in stores," he said.

The folding playset includes all of the major icons from the show, including Hooper's Store -- 123 Stoop, Big Bird's nest, and Oscar's can -- and all of the toy characters are sold separately.
I'm crossing my fingers this means Telly and Murray... but even if it's just Cookie, Grover, Count, Ernie and Bert, I'll be happy. I hope they don't cost a fortune.

Animal31

Reaction score
I wonder if down the line this could ever mean human characters as well?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Historically, I'd say no. In all the years of Sesame Street toys, there were only 2 instances of human characters in toy merchandise.

Fisher Price little people

and the Elmo's world Figurine and Plus assortment

They didn't actually have exact likenesses... the LP figures are basically the same as regular human LP figures, and Mr. Noodle was cartoonified considerably.

They have well enough Muppet characters to work with, though. I'd rather seem them focus on that. If Hasbro made a figure of that fat chick with 3 pairs of bosoms that was on screen for 2 seconds from Star Wars, they can sure as heck make Telly.

Animal31

Reaction score
Given that this is Hasbro, that's why I was curious.............though an exclusive Jim and Kermit would be pretty cool :smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
If Hasbro made a figure of that fat chick with 3 pairs of bosoms that was on screen for 2 seconds
I'm guessing this wasn't in a Sesame Street production...:confused::eek:
(seriously though- I recall what you're talking about, but I can't remember where this comes from...)

I do love those Sesame Street little people sets- and I'd forgotten about the Mr. Noodle figures. As much as I love the Sesame Street Muppet figures, I wish there were some more figures made for the human characters as well. So to date, there are figures of some sort available (or were) for Mr. Hooper, Gordon, Susan and Mr. Noodle.
And the new Hooper' Store playset looks pretty awesome!:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Puppeteers are COMPLETELY out of the question, as is Kermit, who is a Disney character now. Actually, even when the Sesame Street Muppet copyright was owned by Henson, the only Kermit toy made from Sesame Street was Magic Singing Kermit from Tyco and even on the toy he was billed as "Guest star".

I'm guessing this wasn't in a Sesame Street production...
(seriously though- I recall what you're talking about, but I can't remember where this comes from...)
I forgot to type "from Star Wars!" :eek: How silly of me.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That Magic Singing Kermit is an awesome toy! And they did release it promoting Sesame Street's 30th. anniversary too! I thought that was cool- and it's the only toy version of Kermit the Frog that I know about that was released as part of a Sesame Street line. As a fan of Kermit on Sesame Street, I really appreciate that.:smile:

And now that you mention Star Wars, that definitely makes sense. And yes- Hasbro has released most every character that showed up in Star Wars at whatever point- even ones with incredibly brief cameos like that. I'm still waiting for the action figure of the frog who eats a fly in "Return of the Jedi" though.:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Suffice to say, I've seen a LOT of chubbsy wubbsy 3 pairs sitting on the shelves. Some of the stuff they release is only for obsessive compulsive completists. But then again, variants of the main stars always do well, even though they've covered EVERY scene everyone has ever been in. I wonder why they don't consider Clone Wars stylized versions of classic characters. A McDonald's promo did, actually.

Yeah, when it comes to Star Wars, I'm not a huge collector. I love the films, but the only toys Hasbro releases that really interest me are the Buddy packs. Too bad I don't have the cash to keep up with them (I've gotten a fortune of the Indiana Jones and G.I. Joe ones on clearance... and I'm not even a G.I. Joe fan). Actually, that's what I'd LOVE to see... Sesame Buddy packs. And the best part, if they put popular characters like Elmo and Cookie Monster in a pack with fan favorites like Sherlock Hemlock and Guy Smiley, they'd still sell to kids. I love those Scooby-Doo ones... but those aren't Hasbro. Everyone seemed to get on the Buddy Pack bandwagon. Even Dr. Who.

Sigh... if only the Sesame Street line was as completist as they are with Star Wars. Really... Telly and Baby Bear are in like every 3 episodes and they're impossible to find toys of. And Murray's in every episode.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Not sure if I'll buy them, but it's good to know we'll probably get the whole current Muppet cast at least. It'd be great if Herry Monster were included as well. I wonder if they'll all be sold at the same time or if some will be added over time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like everything else, it depends on how well they do. And I hope they do gang busters. The better they do, the more chances they'll toss a few fan faves in the line. I really hope to see AT LEAST a bunch of current characters that are on relatively every episode that have yet to be made into toys. I dunno about you, but I miss Applause. And I've never seen the Tyco line, otherwise I may have picked some up.

I at least want to see an Abby's Flying Fairy school figure set of some kind. Blogg is screaming to be made into a toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.