Hate Jessie

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dunno, that ComicCon episode of Phineas and Ferb was pretty accurate when it comes to fanboys :stick_out_tongue:

I think at this point continuing to talk about how bad a Disney show is is beating a dead horse

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno, that ComicCon episode of Phineas and Ferb was pretty accurate when it comes to fanboys :stick_out_tongue:
Cartoon writers are far closer to true nerdy things than mainstream TV writers. They are basically very close to that world. One of the first ComicCon cartoons ever was an episode of Fat Albert written by Paul Dini.

It goes to prove the point, close to the one first made on this thread. Sitcom and action/drama show writers are completely out of touch with hip things and trends, cartoonist get to play with it because often times they write what they know. And like everything else here, inorganic writing situations usually equal clunky TV show episodes.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
There's an art to using a laugh track correctly, and these kidcoms made by Disney and such really don't know how to master it... they figure since kids don't have a well-developed sense of humor that excessive use of a laugh track will make the show seem funnier, when it really only makes matter worse.
To my knowlegde, the Disney sitcoms are shot in front of a live audience (I'm assuming the audience mostly consists of kids, as I can't imagine any adult finding these shows funny). Most of the Nick sitcoms use laughtracks, though.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the seething hatred of disney shows? No, they are not the greatest shows out there and recently their new shows have really taken a dive in quality, but still, I get the feeling its all nostalgia heads whining because Disney doesn't show the "classics" anymore

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, here's just one example I can give you (despite it not being a very good example):

I once had to sit and watch HANNAH MONTANA with my niece one time... the acting was absolutely terrible. Miley Cyrus's performance, all around, was very hammy and kind overly exaggerated, like she knew there were cameras there, and knew she was being filmed, and being watched... that's one complaint I have with a lot of these live-action kidcoms on Disney, Nick, what have you, is that the stars really don't know anything about subtly or just flat out acting natural, they always have this, "LOOK at ME! I'm on TV!" vibe in their acting, it's just not believable, it's really difficult to sit through and watch these youngens trying to outdo their own selves.

I mean I can't speak for everyone else, but that's just my own little beef.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Besides the hammy acting, some of these shows have dialogue like:

"Who left my books in the toaster?!"

Okay... books... toaster... where's the joke?

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, my negative thoughts towards the current Disney sitcoms has nothing to do with Disney not showing "the classics". In fact, there are several old Disney sitcoms that, in retrospect, weren't particularly funny. It is possible to make a good sitcom, even for Disney; but it's definitely more challenging these days, since pretty much every idea has been taken.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But why is Disney the main target? There are plenty of shows with horrid writing and acting on other channels. Its like people have blinders on and only focus on Disney. Yeah, you have people who complain about Nick, but their argument is because its not "classic" nick.

I don;t think the shows are as bad as people think they are. I think people are judging them as if they were for adults, which they are not. No, there's no excuse for bad writing, but are you really gonna hire the most expensive professional actors for a children's show?