Hate Jessie

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the seething hatred of disney shows? No, they are not the greatest shows out there and recently their new shows have really taken a dive in quality, but still, I get the feeling its all nostalgia heads whining because Disney doesn't show the "classics" anymore
As I said years ago, the problem wasn't the shows. The problem was the marketing failed to let anything co-exist with said shows. Disney aggressively marketed HSM and HM, but left out anything that wasn't a Pixar movie. Pixar movies and preschool shows were the exceptions to the "only market the live action stuff" rule. I'm glad things have changed at Disney, but they were only focusing on tweens. All because some schmuck somewhere said that tweenage girls weren't watching enough TV. So automatically, they became the only group they marketed to. But that's just the problem with Disney.

The REAL hate comes from the fact that Nick and CN had to compete with even worse shows. CN gets the worst hate for shows that were GAWD Awful terrible and no one actually liked, but they shoved down everyone's throats until they liked them, making them even more unappealing. Nick at the time wouldn't give the time of day to any new cartoon series, and immediately dropped any new Nicktoon because they weren't live action shows or putting up Spongebob ratings. Sigh.. I really feel bad for Catscratched. That was the most underrated Nicktoon of all.

So basically, the Disney live action shows almost killed American TV animation, replacing it with cheaper to produce clones that are far worse than the Disney shows. But thankfully we've had a humongous upswing since, and Disney actually markets it's properties that aren't pop star based. The shows themselves are bland and are retreads of every terrible 80's/90's sitcom cliche. They have an audience, and I respect that I'm not in it. But thankfully, they keep to themselves, and Disney came back with Phineas and Ferb and the Marvel cartoons.

If I can give some more to the background... I never cared for Saved by the Bell, and as terrible as NBC's last cartoon line up was (Prostars, the worst of the Mario cartoons, and the hideous worse than the live action movie Yo Yogi), I always hated the TeenNBC conveyor belt of SBTB ripoffs. I never cared much for Power Rangers because Fox kept pushing every single show that wasn't Power Rangers off the schedule. Ditto Pokemon on Kid's WB pushing anything that wasn't Pokemon off the schedule (course I was mad they shoved EWJ off the schedule for overedited Looney Tunes shorts to promote Space Jam) It's not the show's fault or the show's popularity. It's the executives that live vicariously through having one hit and cloning it. And worse... the idiot execs of other networks that feel they need to compete with a popular show by making an even worse version of it that no one can possibly get behind, thus losing loyal viewers and a fictitious group they'd never get anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I have to go into another little mini-rant here, I'm sorry to driving us off-topic again, but this has to be said...
The problem is that unwritten rule in television that all series HAVE to include at least ONE ethnic character in the cast, because apparently an all-white cast is seen as offensive and non-inclusive by today's standards... but at the same time, it comes to the point where writers tend to make the ethnic characters more like caricatures of their ethnicity, which in turn, causes that ethnic group to cry out in offense over their people being portrayed in such stereotypical manners.
Likewise, where some people complain about casts that are "all white", there are people out there who complain about Tyler Perry's shows and movies having "all black" casts. I mean, really? Tyler Perry is a black producer, who do you think he's going to cast in his work? Not to mention, he's had white people in his movies before, but I mean, which do you think is more racist: white producers casting white people in their work and black producers casting black people in their work, or people who cry racism over "all white" casts and "all black" casts?

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I just watched the show, and I can't stand it either. Adults are treated like servants, the kids are all very rude and mean to other people, and the show isn't funny. That laugh track is horrible.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's an art to creating a good, believable laugh track, and they rarely, if ever, achieve that on kid shows - they figure kids aren't as astute viewers as adults are and therefore don't pay attention to certain pre-recorded laughs being played over and over again in the same half-hour.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
The laugh track in Disney shows is atrocious. It's like turned up full blast the whole time.

galagr

Reaction score
Y'know, I actually did an experiment on how many times they used the laugh track in a minute. My guess was three. Do you know how much they used it in a minute? Nine. Nine "Clever and Laugh-track worthy jokes" in a minute. And it was the same, booming, god-awful laugh track EVERY TIME.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You can have a poorly edited laugh track on both ends of the spectrum.

On the one hand, the laugh track can be overused to the point where EVERYTHING is met with a laugh, not just a funny line, but even a head tilt, or a smirk, will be met with a laugh; then sometimes the laugh track can be underused, where in some cases, only certain jokes are met with a laugh and others aren't.

Then of course, there's volume. Some producers have this belief that if the laughs are louder, the jokes are funnier, and therefore the show itself is funnier, when that isn't necessarily the case... then in other cases, like a number of sitcoms today, the laughs can be so quiet they sound like a whisper, and that gets to be even more annoying than over-modulated, booming laughs.

The basic idea is to make sure you're not making the laugh track itself a star, which does happen in some cases; again, in most cases, it's actually the producers' say in what kind of laugh track their shows have: there are companies that actually supply the laughter for these shows, and there are people who go into the studio, add the laughter with machines known as Laff Boxes, but it's the producers who tell them what kind of laugh to use for what certain kind of joke, so the producers have to realize when to ease up and back off. It's something that takes practice. Here's a couple of examples of some of my own work:
The first of which clearly put a little too much focus into the laugh track - it comes off as invasive, intrusive, and overdone, in short, I ended up making the laugh track itself the star. The second entry is more recent, and by this time, I had a better understanding of just how to properly laff up something, and it comes off more natural in this one.

galagr

Reaction score
You can have a poorly edited laugh track on both ends of the spectrum.

On the one hand, the laugh track can be overused to the point where EVERYTHING is met with a laugh, not just a funny line, but even a head tilt, or a smirk, will be met with a laugh; then sometimes the laugh track can be underused, where in some cases, only certain jokes are met with a laugh and others aren't.
Well, D'Snowth, I'd have to say that this....abomination is definitely an example of the kind of show that thinks everything to come out of the characters' mouth is uproariously hilarious. Someone screams? Thundering laughter. Someone gets insulted? Thundering laughter. Someone gets hurt? Thundering laughter. The somewhat racist little girl character makes a sassy remark? Laughter with the power to break glass. But, I'll have you decide. I'm sorry if this clip has hurt or effected you mentally or physically.