1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Have all episodes of Sesame Street survived?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by panmanthe2nd, Jan 22, 2012.

1. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

Hi, :)

Have all episodes of Sesame Street survived, or did some of the early ones get 'wiped' or 'junked' like the BBC did with some Doctor Who episodes?

Also, did "Snuffy's Parents Get a Divorce" ever get shown or leaked?

Thank you!
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I have no doubts that they haven't.
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I feel I've read some gossip on the forums that Sesame Workshop has restored every episode a number of times in the past. Can't remember the threads and can't recall where the information came from (articles? Interviews? insider information?). But I've read that they even restored every epsiode before Noggin went on the air, yet they were somehow unable to use the restored episodes on Noggin.

Still, I haven't seen anything stating that episodes are lost or destroyed. Though I wonder if Sesame Workshop still has test pilots 2-5.
  4. PuppetMaster

PuppetMaster Member

I don't know.Hmmmmm.:dreamy:
  5. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

That's how I've been feeling, too, seeing how many episodes there are coupled with how expensive tape was at the time. Though I'm sure the people at CTW back then were reasonable enough not to wipe something as educational as this for future generations.
    Emilia likes this.
  6. sesameguy

sesameguy Member

Obviously we can't know for sure without working for Sesame Workshop, but I've never heard anything to make me suspect that episodes have been lost. If anything, as Minor Muppetz said, I recall reading that they've been trying to preserve them. I guess it's possible that they re-used video tapes, but I'm not sure if they'd intentionally record over something that they might want to distribute again.

I don't think the "Snuffy's parents' divorce" episode has ever been shown in its entirety or leaked. But you can see a photo from it on page 161 of "Sesame Street: A Celebration; 40 years of life on the street".
  7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Ssetta posted something here awhile ago about SW digitally archiving their entire library or something to that affect.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Be thankful this isn't a British show.

I hear nothing but horror stories of wiping (reusing master tapes by taping over older shows)... they're putting out a call to see if anyone can track down lost Dr. Who episodes.

I'm sure Sesame Street has everything possible, even stuff they can't show for educational/archival purposes. I don't think any of us will ever see Snuffy and the divorce, unless one of us interns and gets very VERY close to the personnel. Still, I'm sure they have it somewhere. The trick is getting them to leak it somehow.

We never know when a leak happens.
    Seven Monsters somehow managed to pop up with no explanation and no Sesame Workshop involvement. it's only a matter of time before the Snuffy one could.
    Emilia and panmanthe2nd like this.
  9. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

Thanks everyone for your comments.

And thank you Drtooth for posting that video. I hadn't seen it before.
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Personally, I want to see what the heck happened to this segment:

[​IMG]

It's clearly a parody of the Sparta Cheerleaders from SNL, and that's definitely a Muppet caricature of Will Ferrel.
  11. minor muppetz

While I doubt any full episodes were erased, I'd like to say that if they did destroy master tapes, they sure do seem to have kept many from the first ten years, considering all the early episodes that were shown on Noggin and later iTunes (and it's not just the really important episodes that have shown up). Plus, sesamestreet.org has several rare street scenes which I doubt were inserts. And even in the 1970s they reused street stories after a couple of years.

Plus, they seem to have kept early stuff that wouldn't be broadcast. There's a number of clips online which begin with a dirctor yelling "Action!" I wouldn't have thought they'd keep stuff like that. And one clip at sesamestreet.org (can't remember which one) ends with a second of pre-roll for the "Gimmie Five" sketch, where the clapboard is shown before the scene begins.

I wonder if they saved all the episodes because they needed to reuse segments for many episodes. Though I would assume that the inserts would be stored on special tapes/reels/discs/files/whatever in addition to being in the episode master tapes, though I wonder how it is all done (I suspect they might put several clips on certain tape reels, see above comment about an online clip ending with pre-roll for "Gimmie Five"). The CTW Archives has the "first season show content" files, listing practically every insert from the first season, plus a list of all episodes they appear in. That would make it seem they maybe just copy clips from episodes they were in when needed again, but then again the same files do put "dump" by some segments (if the clips were all on seperate master tapes I wonder if they actually destroyed or got rid of those), and of course some segments have been shown with post-rolls in later broadcasts.
  12. minor muppetz

This thread kind of reminds me of something that was stated in this article http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/unseen_work.shtml though it really has to do with The Jim Henson Company and not Sesame Workshop: Pretty much everything since Sesame Street started had been well-preserved and documented, but a lot of stuff before Sesame Street hadn't.