Having Each Other (Ush-Gush)

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Well, I dialed back into this one, Figgie, to see where you were going with this one. I'm getting a little whiplash from jolting from realistic scenes to patently silly ones (like the car) but I'm excited to see Kermit and Piggy expecting.

I'll be really frank with you (Someone else can be Jim!) and say that this sort of trauma-drama, especially with it's unrealistic elements, is not really my thing. I know maiming main characters emotionally or physically just for kicks is a staple of amateur fiction, but it's not my usual cup of tea, and I'll probably drop in and out but not review much. I do want to see where you are taking this story, because I like the idea of Kermit and Piggy having a child, but I'd rather see you use your writing skills to write a possible story--even with muppets and bouncing baby figs and anthropomorphic pigs and frogs--than just jerk us around from one harsh emotion to the next. I know that kind of storytelling is popular and plays to the masses because it is so emtionally manipulative, but it's not what professional writer's do (unless you are Lemony Snicket or are writing The Perils of Pauline) in mainstream books. Even in stories where the hero or heroine suffers a lot, there should be a point to the suffering, some larger truth revealed or greater goal striven for. Think Harry Potter. Even--if you must--think of Twilight, where there is a happy ending for almost everyone waiting at the end because of what they have suffered together. If I am going to cry over something that happens to characters I love, I want to believe in my own tears and not just weep for the sake of having a good weep.

Kermit should be elated about being a dad--not dismal and crabby and cranky about having to produce a movie. Wasn't that the dream he's always talking about--making people happy? So why is he so very miserable at this point in his life when (1) his career is shooting off into the stratosphere again, (2) he's married to the love of his life after finally admitting he loves her and wants to spend his life with her and (3) the most beautiful pig on the planet is having his baby, um, fig. Can the frog not cheer up already? And it would be okay to let Piggy show some common sense and not just blithely walk herself into traffic when she is cradling Kermit's precious progeny within her, or manhandle her new presumably adored husband without bruising him. That she is so careless of his babies inside her and so willing to hurt him seems, well, heartless of her, and she is a sow of strong emotions, as we have seen. Sweetie--these are characters who have exhibited courage and depth and amazing emotional range because of what they have faced together. It's okay to let them show a little of that.

Auntie Ru is apparently cranky tonight, but I am serious when I say that I think you are capable of writing real drama, not just melodrama. If melodrama was your intent, I heartily apologize and withdraw my un-asked-for advice. Please forgive me if I have overstepped or hurt your feelings by giving my heartfelt review when you asked for honest feedback instead of simply saying, "Great post! Can't wait to see what happens next!" I would like to see what happens next when you get there.
As always it is a pleasure to hear from you. Yes, Kermit does need to lighten up, Yes, I do need to find balance between muppetdom and reality(I'm slowly reaching that point), I'm trying to find my style of writing. It is hard when you have saucy, ush-gush, witty stories like yours, then you have heartfelt, sad, and dramautic stories like Lisa. I wanted to go with what the public wanted so no tribulation could start. I think in the rest of my stories and in this one as well, it will be funny, heart warming, and muppetish, like me.:embarrassed: I hope. Haha, yes, Jim can be himself. I enjoy your help, it really helps me when I'm stuck or confused. I wouldn't think of it as harsh or cruel, but heartfelt and a nudge in the right direction! I too am also in a bit of a rut and quite cranky with Science Fairs and 8 page research papers with a dash of only getting an hour's worth of sleep. I will try to not let anyone down for it is one of my worst fears. I don't like being a disappointment...:embarrassed:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Okay, I apologize for being mopey right there, I gots me some sleep and a mug of cocoa to get me through and I got 100% on the science fair! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!:smile: So I will post some more story tonight, I hope ya'll can hold on till then! P.S. Thanks Ru and Newsie for the reviews and thoughts, you both are amazing! P.P.S. To jessie, wiggie, and Muppetfan123, thanks for all the support! *Shifty eyes* >Slinks to a dark corner<:batty:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Just a quick post before bed tonight...

Chapter 7: A Gift Worth Giving

Lonnie smiled as the rain splattered against the theater's windows. The usual ruckus was playing out on stage and behind scenes while the muppet cast and crew worked for their upcoming spring show. Howard yelled at the show girls and tried not to burst a vein, Beauregard wiped each and every spot of the old theater until it shone like a star. Fozzie was sitting in his usual area by the wings testing his jokes on himself while Statler and Walkdorf comented and mocked him from their balcony.
"Oh come on guys!" Fozzie whimpered, "Don't you think my jokes are different or better?" He begged, bear eyes pleading.
"Well, s'pose it's how you define different." Waldorf commented thoughtfully.
"You mean you actually find his jokes funny?!" Statler said, shocked.
"Er, well no."
"Then nothin's different!"
"Do hohohohoho!" Both laughed while Fozie only sighed and continued half heartedly. Feeling pity for him, Lonnie called over to him.
"Don't worry, Fozz! I think you're doing great!" She said cheerfully. Fozzie's ears wriggled at that.
"You really thinks so?" He said hopefully. Lonnie smiled and gave him a thumbs up. Buoyed with confidence, Fozzie continued never taking much heed to what either old men said. Chuckling to herself, Lonnie saw a flash of yellow and red whizz by her. Reaching out, she grabbed Scooter's sleeve and wrapped her arms around his neck, diving wholeheartedly in a swift kiss.
"Aww, come on, can't you wait 'till brake?" Scooter teased, not really minding the attention.
"Are you doing anything right now?" Lonnie asked cheekily.
"Well, Kermit wants me to check on the electro-" He was interrupted by another bout of kissing.
"Then you're on brake." Lonnie confirmed. Smiling, Scooter didn't disagree.
"Yo Scooter!" Clifford yelled at the couple. "We've got work to do, save your sugar for desert man!" Lonnie blushed and reluctantly let her boyfriend go. Shooting knives in the catfish what-not's direction, Scooter returned to his work, wondering what his desert would be. Hearing an explosian from the kitchen, most muppets barely glanced in it's direction, Lonnie on the other hand, thought of it as a new adventure. finding Gladys surrounded by clumps and puddles of bubbling... doe? From what Lonnie guessed, it appeared to be so. Bo looked into the kitchen with a smile and a whistle and began to mop up whatever was strewn around the serving area.
"Gladys! Chef! What happened?" Lonnie exclaimed.
"De dosey mosey, explodey in de kitchen! Poof!" Chef through his hands in the air with what looked to be dismay. Gladys shook her nappy gray hair in annoyance.
"Sweet heart, I've found that when working with these people you don't ask questions, you just go with it and act like you understand." Gladys picked up a broom to swap at the nearest puddle as it tried to grab at her legs.
"Chef! I told you not use any sugar in the food! Now it's too hyper to be eaten!" Gladys yelled. Laughing to herself, Lonnie walked away from the intresting meal she hoped she would not be partaking of. Humming softly to herself, she walked past Rowlf on his piano. Humming once more, Rowlf played out the notes, grinning broadley. Playing the notes once again, he added his own style. What once had been a simple tune now becaome a jazzy piece. Singing with the piano, Lonnie stood by the senior pianist.

We have all had ups and downs,
We know how to smile and how to frown.
But what really brings us together when recieving;
A beautiful gift worth giving.
Her soft voice only added to the emotion of the song, and Rowlf joined in harmonixing with her voice.
We share many crazy nights,
Our laughter and delights!
it brings out the best in livving,
When recieving a gift worth giving!
Hearing the music flowing, the Electric Mayhem found where the two singers sat enjoying the bliss of music. Strumming their guitars, Floyed and janice marked their own verse.
It's about family and love,
Doin' what's right when it's rough!
You fing out what's missing,
When recieving the gift of giving!
"Now that's what I call sensational!" Dr. Teeth crowed, blasting his organ for the bridge of the song.
meemo meep! Mee mee mee!
It's what brings us all together, just as you can see!
Dr. Honeydew and Beaker sang together, swaying to the music.
We all find it in ourselves,
It can't be replaced like some trophy on a shelf!
It's a gift worth giving, Something that's worth living!
It seemed all the muppets were singing now.
It's the gift that many will love recieving.
Kermit sang, his smile brightening the whole room. As the song ended, all the muppets clapped and slapped each other on the back, happy for no apparent reason. Popping out of nowhere, Scooter planted a kiss on Lonnie's cheek.
"I'm on brake!"

Well there you have it, now I'm off to bed for some much needed sleep!
H:wink:ope you liked your desert Wiggie!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
That was light-hearted and fun, Figgie. Nice to see the usual mayhem backstage and Lonnie's reaction to it.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------
Yes, too much sugar in the dough definitely makes it hyper. I've had that same issue many times...that's why I keep a loaded rolling pin handy. WHACK!

Nice continuation...but, er, Kermit's back already? What happened with him and Robin?

More when you can...and remember that Spellcheck button! :smile:

-------------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Now this interlude I liked. You're finding your footing within the fic's story. If you let it develop who knows where it'll take you, but bets are it'll flow along better from chapter to chapter. Thanks for sharing.

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I'm really happy you are all enjoying this story. Aunty Ru, I am very happy you liked Lonnie's reaction and the mayhem behind scenes:big_grin:. Newsie, I agree, but yuo might want to try a metal bat from time to time, it helps knock the dough out for a while.:wink: Spell check, yes, I need to do that more often...:embarrassed: Count: Thank you! I'm trying very hard and it's nice to have you notice! Thanks a bunch!!:batty:

We Got Us

Reaction score
AAAHHH!! I was off on a sleepover, and now...there is SO much to review!!!! Ok, first chapter (or chapter six). You really pummel us, and in a beautifully written way. I can tell you've been reading Flippersteps, although you don't copy anything but add such a heartwarming side to the dark thoughts Kermit's been dealing with.

"You already have the gift. It's a frail sweet thing called life. It's what makes your heart beat, and is a road we all must travel."
This line definitely hit me, as it sounds very much like one my father wrote in his eulogy to my mom. Just--very wise and true, along with the analogy of the gift. And here is where I need to stop for a minute and disagree with Ruhanna on a few points: 1.
I know that kind of storytelling is popular and plays to the masses because it is so emtionally manipulative, but it's not what professional writer's do
I don't think there's anything non-professional about that, it's just a different style of writing. Figgie was borrowing somewhat from a story by one of the 'professional' writers on here, Togetheragain (Lisa), who uses emotional trauma to explore different sides of the character and does so extremely well. There's no set 'professional' way to write, although I understand it being 'not your cup of tea', there's nothing wrong with pulling the heartstrings a little. 2. The story's not over yet, so maybe there WILL be more happiness. Just give it time to work itself out. I'm not bashing or trying to protect Figgie's feelings (not that I don't care, but I know your big enough to take criticizm sis! :wink:) But if your my sister's aunt that makes you my aunt to, and I tend to be argumentative with my family members. :wink:
--Newsie's namesake, or not Newie's namesake? That will be the question....
Chapter seven! And I can't believe none of this came to my inbox!! >stomps around, says some dirty words< OK--once again, I feel I have to side-step praising how well you write me because it sounds vain, BUT let's pretend I'm NOT Lonnie for a minute so that I can say "Lucky girl!!!" Dating Scooter and hanging out backstage on the muppet show....>sigh< TOO awesome.....>runs to get some Rocky Road ice cream for Scooter's promised desert< Teehee, this is gonna make him so mad....
So there you have. Wish I could go through chappie by chappie, cause' there were so many great lines in both, but my grandmom signed me up for this gym thingy at six and....nevermind. Suffice it to say, I'm grinning very wide and loving it for all it's worth, more please!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
1. I don't think there's anything non-professional about that, it's just a different style of writing. Figgie was borrowing somewhat from a story by one of the 'professional' writers on here, Togetheragain (Lisa), who uses emotional trauma to explore different sides of the character and does so extremely well. There's no set 'professional' way to write, although I understand it being 'not your cup of tea', there's nothing wrong with pulling the heartstrings a little. 2. The story's not over yet, so maybe there WILL be more happiness. Just give it time to work itself out. I'm not bashing or trying to protect Figgie's feelings (not that I don't care, but I know your big enough to take criticizm sis!
) But if your my sister's aunt that makes you my aunt to, and I tend to be argumentative with my family members.
I'm going to respectfully disagree, and then I'm going to stop posting about this topic myself, but I do want to clarify my point.

I'm not talking about an "opinion" about what is or is not professional. I'm actually talking about what is or is not professional. The word "professional" actually has a meaning of its own, independent of what people "think" about the meaning of the word. For example, if a person says "elephant," we know what that is. I don't need an opinion about what an elephant is--it is an actual thing that exists and no amount of thought about elephants (for or against) changes the "elephantness" of an elephant. When I said, "professional," here's the Merriam-Webster definition I was intending.

a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>

This is a forum for fan fiction. Fan fiction is not, in the traditional sense, publishing, although I do understand that technology has made little book-makers out of all sorts of folks. A book is published when it is read by a publishing house, accepted for publication and the author is paid in some form. It is not unheard of for someone to self-publish their own book first, and later have it picked up by a publishing house, but despite what you may have read on the internet, this is still quite rare. When you publish short fiction or poems, they usually give you contributor's copies as "payment," but it is still considered published. Posting your stuff online--which anyone can do--is not the same as "being published." To think so demeans the very real world of publishing. That doesn't mean that I think fan fiction is bad (I don't) and that everything published is good (I don't). But having work accepted for publication is still an honor that should not be equated with the technological equivalent of passing your notebook around to all your friends and having them tell you that it's "the best-est thing they ever read!"

The point I was trying to make with Figgie is that there is a difference between the type and quality of the writing done for drama and melodrama. Soap opera writers--and those are, I must admit, professional writers--do not usually write straight drama. They write over-blown, wildly improbably stories that would fall into the category of melodrama. Supermodel moms being kidnapped in evening gowns and held in a jail cell with no indoor plumbing nevertheless come out with their eyeliner intact three days later. Despite the privation of being locked up, the heroine still looks and smells marvelous, and the hero cannot wait to kiss her, though it has been days since she brushed her teeth. We are entertained by these sorts of shenanigans, but it is not the same caliber of writing that goes into House or Law and Order. Pretending that the skill necessary for the first automatically qualifies you to write for the second and third is not true. There is a reason they do separate Daytime Academy Awards, and save the dramatic ones for the evening show. BTW, Melodrama is also a real word with its own definition, independent of whether one likes melodrama or not. It is:

a : a work (as a movie or play) characterized by extravagant theatricality and by the predominance of plot and physical action over characterization

That's why I made a distinction between how melodrama and drama differ and the fact that I normally do not care for melodrama. Whether or not I care for it does not change what it is.

It is, in literature circles, a lessor form of entertainment, characterized by plot lines that pay no attention to the recognized rules of physics and logic, among other things. For example, in a melodrama, all the police are stupid and incompetent, running around uselessly while the hero saves the lady. Newsie wrote a silly little melodrama very capably in one of her last few posts, with Piggy playing the beleaguered leading lady, Uncle Deadly the rascally villian and Wayne (bless him) as the hero, come to save the day. No one would mistake that sort of play for, say, Agatha Cristie's "Mousetrap," because one invites you into a world where you MUST suspend your disbelief and the other merely invites you in to look at something that could have happened around the corner in this world, or even--in the case of science fiction--on some other world.

There is a professional way to write, although themes and styles vary widely (as well they should). There should be a plot with a beginning, a middle and an end. There should be correct grammer--always. There should be some reason the reader interrupts their day or life to read what is written. The characters should be recognizable from page to page and--in the event of a sequel--from book to book. These are only some of the rules about writing that characterize books that actually get published--not posted.

Fan fiction serves a particular function in fandom, and I have said before that most of the readers of fan fiction are other writers of fan fiction. It's a pretty small group, overall. Amateur fiction, which does not have to pass any sort of criteria to be posted, often deals with strong emotions and fantastical situations. Hurt/comfort is one of the largest genres within fan writing, and it basically a plotline that says, "So-and-so is hurt, and then the other so-and-so gets to comfort them." Comforting usually leads to some improbable declaration of never-before-admitted affection, and some wildly inventive, um, snuggling. (Trying to remember our audience is rather young.) I dare you to find ANY fanfiction genre which does not have oodles of stories like that. Or it can cause a scene of reconciliation and tenderness between two characters that are at odds with each other. It provides a quick rush of emotionalism, a fix, but the writer has had to put very little effort into tweaking our emotion--the situation did that without any need for the author's skill.

I apologize, Figgie, for muffining in your thread, especially since I had to explain not so long ago what it was and why it is rude. I have written a long post, taking up valuable space that you might better use to tell your story. And it is your story. You may write what you wish, and if all the muppets fall into comas or lose limbs or contract deathly illnesses and that is the kind of story you want to tell, then you should tell it. There will always be fans lined up to see that sort of story.

I think you have some real potential and you asked for help. I did what I would do with any of my students--I pointed out what I saw and redirected you in a direction that I thought would be more beneficial for the long-term development of your skill.

I suspect that my advice, overall, was unwanted and will be unheeded, and in the future I will refrain from offering it.

In conclusion, "Good post. Keep going."

We Got Us

Reaction score
>tries really hard not to muffin the thread more< >fails< I understand completely that 'professional' is a real word and I know it's definition well. My point was that this is fan-fiction, and like you said, if the word 'professional' calls for published works, then it's almost meaningless on a fan-fiction forum. Also, I have to disagree that this writing style is looked down upon in writing circles. Aren't some of the great works like Gaston Le Roux's Phantom of the Opera, and Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist are all books in which an unrealistic amount of traumatic circumstances happen to the characters. Melodrama is something different entirely, and it involves being cliche. Cliche is hard not to be when you are writing for characters as classic as the Muppets.
Figgie's work isn't perfect, bit it's no Muppet Melodrama either.
That all being said, I didn't mean any offense and your advice is certainly wanted, valued, and appreciated. I know Figgie loves your stories, and I've read a few of them myself, and completely admit to you being above me on the writing scale. If I've chased Figgie's aunt away from her own story, I deserve to tied to a train track (by Uncle Deadly, of course).