Having Each Other (Ush-Gush)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
UD, *poking dragonish head into the fic's thread again: You called?
*Hopes that aunt lady, whoever she is, will update her own long-running opus.
*Deposits muffins from the HV bakery.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Alright... I finally read through this yesterday. I have a few thoughts.

1.) Figgie, you have some great potential, and I am definitely looking forward to reading more from you!

2.) Grammar. Not spell-check, but grammar. I hate to be an annoying stickler about it--I am NOT going to start giving you grief about every comma splice when most people in the world today don't even know what a comma splice is--but you seem to have one particular habit that I find very distracting. The thing is, just because spell-check says that something is a real word, that doesn't mean it's the word you want. The example that sticks out most prominently in my mind is in this last chapter, when Scooter and Lonnie keep talking about when he gets his "brake." A "brake" is something on a car, bike, or other vehicle that you use to stop; i.e. You see a deer jump out in front of you and slam on the brakes. A "break," on the other hand, is that wonderful pause in the work day when you get to eat lunch or grab some coffee. It is also something that tends to happen to bones if you don't drink your milk and/or participate in Gonzo's stunts.

Likewise, Scooter is thinking about "desert," but what he really wants is dessert. Dessert, the tasty treat you get to eat after dinner if you finish your veggies, has two S's because you always want a second helping. A desert, with one S, is a place that doesn't get a lot of rain. I know little things like that are hard to keep track of, but take it from someone who was once docked a full letter grade on a paper for repeatedly writing that a character would "role" his eyes instead of "roll" his eyes... it makes a difference!

3.) NOT to drag out the muffining any longer than necessary... but in one of your posts, you said, "I wanted to go with what the public wanted so no tribulation could start." Am I understanding correctly, then, that you decided Piggy couldn't get hurt because, at the idea of it, your readers started screaming "NOOO!"? Because if that is the case... that's a very good way to end up with a lower quality of writing. Write your story, what you need to write... not what you think your readers want to see. You'll never make everyone happy, but trying to make everyone happy is a great way to make yourself miserable. Also, try not to confuse the anguish of a good conflict with the horrified demands of "You need to change this plot point because this is AWFUL." I realize they may look similar, but there's a HUGE difference. As a general rule of thumb, around here, genuine disagreements with the plot itself tend to be very calmly stated, usually with lots of humility and a certain awkwardness that comes from not wanting to be rude. Good story telling, on the other hand, results in LOTS OF CAPS AND SCREAMS AND PANIC!!!!!!!! But again, that's not a hard-and-fast rule.

4.) You mentioned that you're still figuring out your own style, and that's true, and it's WONDERFUL. A tip regarding that... One of the hard things with Muppets is figuring out just how much physical damage they can take. Part of the problem is that even the Muppets aren't consistent about it: Gonzo drops a piano or a 5,000 pound weight on himself, and he's very flat, but still perfectly fine and able to talk and all that. Beaker and the Newsman sustain all sorts of comedic abuse, but have never needed to go to a hospital. Yet in Muppets Take Manhattan, Kermit gets hit by a cab and faces some very definite consequences that land him in a hospital with complete amnesia, and the fact that Gonzo forgets his skis when attempting his water stunt means that the next time we see him, he's covered in bandages (though he's perfectly fine by the time he gets to New York).

The real trouble with what you have happening to Piggy, then, is not that she ends up in a hospital... or that she was perfectly fine and just karate-chopped the cars. Either one could certainly happen within the Muppet universe... but not both, at the same time, to the same character. Besides which, if she was fine, then why did anyone bother to take her to the hospital? Sure, the paramedics could show up and check her out--erm, in the medical sense, I mean--but if she wasn't hurt, they wouldn't bring her in to the hospital. They might insist that she make an appointment with her doctor for the next day or something... But I'm really just rambling now. My point is, for each potentially-injuring situation, you need to decide to play it one way or the other... but not both. Trying to do both is just confusing for your readers.

And... I THINK that pretty much covers it. Again, I'm really looking forward to more soon!

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree, and then I'm going to stop posting about this topic myself, but I do want to clarify my point.

I'm not talking about an "opinion" about what is or is not professional. I'm actually talking about what is or is not professional. The word "professional" actually has a meaning of its own, independent of what people "think" about the meaning of the word. For example, if a person says "elephant," we know what that is. I don't need an opinion about what an elephant is--it is an actual thing that exists and no amount of thought about elephants (for or against) changes the "elephantness" of an elephant. When I said, "professional," here's the Merriam-Webster definition I was intending.

a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>

This is a forum for fan fiction. Fan fiction is not, in the traditional sense, publishing, although I do understand that technology has made little book-makers out of all sorts of folks. A book is published when it is read by a publishing house, accepted for publication and the author is paid in some form. It is not unheard of for someone to self-publish their own book first, and later have it picked up by a publishing house, but despite what you may have read on the internet, this is still quite rare. When you publish short fiction or poems, they usually give you contributor's copies as "payment," but it is still considered published. Posting your stuff online--which anyone can do--is not the same as "being published." To think so demeans the very real world of publishing. That doesn't mean that I think fan fiction is bad (I don't) and that everything published is good (I don't). But having work accepted for publication is still an honor that should not be equated with the technological equivalent of passing your notebook around to all your friends and having them tell you that it's "the best-est thing they ever read!"

The point I was trying to make with Figgie is that there is a difference between the type and quality of the writing done for drama and melodrama. Soap opera writers--and those are, I must admit, professional writers--do not usually write straight drama. They write over-blown, wildly improbably stories that would fall into the category of melodrama. Supermodel moms being kidnapped in evening gowns and held in a jail cell with no indoor plumbing nevertheless come out with their eyeliner intact three days later. Despite the privation of being locked up, the heroine still looks and smells marvelous, and the hero cannot wait to kiss her, though it has been days since she brushed her teeth. We are entertained by these sorts of shenanigans, but it is not the same caliber of writing that goes into House or Law and Order. Pretending that the skill necessary for the first automatically qualifies you to write for the second and third is not true. There is a reason they do separate Daytime Academy Awards, and save the dramatic ones for the evening show. BTW, Melodrama is also a real word with its own definition, independent of whether one likes melodrama or not. It is:

a : a work (as a movie or play) characterized by extravagant theatricality and by the predominance of plot and physical action over characterization

That's why I made a distinction between how melodrama and drama differ and the fact that I normally do not care for melodrama. Whether or not I care for it does not change what it is.

It is, in literature circles, a lessor form of entertainment, characterized by plot lines that pay no attention to the recognized rules of physics and logic, among other things. For example, in a melodrama, all the police are stupid and incompetent, running around uselessly while the hero saves the lady. Newsie wrote a silly little melodrama very capably in one of her last few posts, with Piggy playing the beleaguered leading lady, Uncle Deadly the rascally villian and Wayne (bless him) as the hero, come to save the day. No one would mistake that sort of play for, say, Agatha Cristie's "Mousetrap," because one invites you into a world where you MUST suspend your disbelief and the other merely invites you in to look at something that could have happened around the corner in this world, or even--in the case of science fiction--on some other world.

There is a professional way to write, although themes and styles vary widely (as well they should). There should be a plot with a beginning, a middle and an end. There should be correct grammer--always. There should be some reason the reader interrupts their day or life to read what is written. The characters should be recognizable from page to page and--in the event of a sequel--from book to book. These are only some of the rules about writing that characterize books that actually get published--not posted.

Fan fiction serves a particular function in fandom, and I have said before that most of the readers of fan fiction are other writers of fan fiction. It's a pretty small group, overall. Amateur fiction, which does not have to pass any sort of criteria to be posted, often deals with strong emotions and fantastical situations. Hurt/comfort is one of the largest genres within fan writing, and it basically a plotline that says, "So-and-so is hurt, and then the other so-and-so gets to comfort them." Comforting usually leads to some improbable declaration of never-before-admitted affection, and some wildly inventive, um, snuggling. (Trying to remember our audience is rather young.) I dare you to find ANY fanfiction genre which does not have oodles of stories like that. Or it can cause a scene of reconciliation and tenderness between two characters that are at odds with each other. It provides a quick rush of emotionalism, a fix, but the writer has had to put very little effort into tweaking our emotion--the situation did that without any need for the author's skill.

I apologize, Figgie, for muffining in your thread, especially since I had to explain not so long ago what it was and why it is rude. I have written a long post, taking up valuable space that you might better use to tell your story. And it is your story. You may write what you wish, and if all the muppets fall into comas or lose limbs or contract deathly illnesses and that is the kind of story you want to tell, then you should tell it. There will always be fans lined up to see that sort of story.

I think you have some real potential and you asked for help. I did what I would do with any of my students--I pointed out what I saw and redirected you in a direction that I thought would be more beneficial for the long-term development of your skill.

I suspect that my advice, overall, was unwanted and will be unheeded, and in the future I will refrain from offering it.

In conclusion, "Good post. Keep going."
Aunty Ru, I always appreciate your advice and critique. I understand you don't like doomsday, especially when mixed with the muppets! I wholeheartedly agree! I enjoy Lisa's writing, however heart renching it may be. But it is not my style. Nor is it yours. What you are saying is that it is better to right something that has believable drama in it, rather than stupid drama where it's impossible. I never could understand soap opera's and they always ticked me off. I am deeply moved and grateful when you tell me I have potential! You remind me of my english teacher, who I LOVE a lot! As much as I love you! So when you give me that nudge or point in that right direction, i am most certainly not offended in any way!:big_grin: Always happy to here from you,
~Figgie

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
>tries really hard not to muffin the thread more< >fails< I understand completely that 'professional' is a real word and I know it's definition well. My point was that this is fan-fiction, and like you said, if the word 'professional' calls for published works, then it's almost meaningless on a fan-fiction forum. Also, I have to disagree that this writing style is looked down upon in writing circles. Aren't some of the great works like Gaston Le Roux's Phantom of the Opera, and Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist are all books in which an unrealistic amount of traumatic circumstances happen to the characters. Melodrama is something different entirely, and it involves being cliche. Cliche is hard not to be when you are writing for characters as classic as the Muppets.
Figgie's work isn't perfect, bit it's no Muppet Melodrama either.
That all being said, I didn't mean any offense and your advice is certainly wanted, valued, and appreciated. I know Figgie loves your stories, and I've read a few of them myself, and completely admit to you being above me on the writing scale. If I've chased Figgie's aunt away from her own story, I deserve to tied to a train track (by Uncle Deadly, of course).
Go ahead and have as much muffins as you want. *Nibbles on rasberry muffin* Yes my work is not perfect, heaven knows it needs help! Which is why we all have each other to help the other out! I always appreciate hearing from you and I feel proud of you for sticking up for me, even though it wasn't really needed at this point. But I like having you as my big sister, it makes me squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
*Waps Uncle D.* Stay away you! I would appreciate it if you didn't get hit by a train, my life would get boring.:wink: Don't worry, be happy!

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Alright... I finally read through this yesterday. I have a few thoughts.

1.) Figgie, you have some great potential, and I am definitely looking forward to reading more from you!

2.) Grammar. Not spell-check, but grammar. I hate to be an annoying stickler about it--I am NOT going to start giving you grief about every comma splice when most people in the world today don't even know what a comma splice is--but you seem to have one particular habit that I find very distracting. The thing is, just because spell-check says that something is a real word, that doesn't mean it's the word you want. The example that sticks out most prominently in my mind is in this last chapter, when Scooter and Lonnie keep talking about when he gets his "brake." A "brake" is something on a car, bike, or other vehicle that you use to stop; i.e. You see a deer jump out in front of you and slam on the brakes. A "break," on the other hand, is that wonderful pause in the work day when you get to eat lunch or grab some coffee. It is also something that tends to happen to bones if you don't drink your milk and/or participate in Gonzo's stunts.

Likewise, Scooter is thinking about "desert," but what he really wants is dessert. Dessert, the tasty treat you get to eat after dinner if you finish your veggies, has two S's because you always want a second helping. A desert, with one S, is a place that doesn't get a lot of rain. I know little things like that are hard to keep track of, but take it from someone who was once docked a full letter grade on a paper for repeatedly writing that a character would "role" his eyes instead of "roll" his eyes... it makes a difference!

3.) NOT to drag out the muffining any longer than necessary... but in one of your posts, you said, "I wanted to go with what the public wanted so no tribulation could start." Am I understanding correctly, then, that you decided Piggy couldn't get hurt because, at the idea of it, your readers started screaming "NOOO!"? Because if that is the case... that's a very good way to end up with a lower quality of writing. Write your story, what you need to write... not what you think your readers want to see. You'll never make everyone happy, but trying to make everyone happy is a great way to make yourself miserable. Also, try not to confuse the anguish of a good conflict with the horrified demands of "You need to change this plot point because this is AWFUL." I realize they may look similar, but there's a HUGE difference. As a general rule of thumb, around here, genuine disagreements with the plot itself tend to be very calmly stated, usually with lots of humility and a certain awkwardness that comes from not wanting to be rude. Good story telling, on the other hand, results in LOTS OF CAPS AND SCREAMS AND PANIC!!!!!!!! But again, that's not a hard-and-fast rule.

4.) You mentioned that you're still figuring out your own style, and that's true, and it's WONDERFUL. A tip regarding that... One of the hard things with Muppets is figuring out just how much physical damage they can take. Part of the problem is that even the Muppets aren't consistent about it: Gonzo drops a piano or a 5,000 pound weight on himself, and he's very flat, but still perfectly fine and able to talk and all that. Beaker and the Newsman sustain all sorts of comedic abuse, but have never needed to go to a hospital. Yet in Muppets Take Manhattan, Kermit gets hit by a cab and faces some very definite consequences that land him in a hospital with complete amnesia, and the fact that Gonzo forgets his skis when attempting his water stunt means that the next time we see him, he's covered in bandages (though he's perfectly fine by the time he gets to New York).

The real trouble with what you have happening to Piggy, then, is not that she ends up in a hospital... or that she was perfectly fine and just karate-chopped the cars. Either one could certainly happen within the Muppet universe... but not both, at the same time, to the same character. Besides which, if she was fine, then why did anyone bother to take her to the hospital? Sure, the paramedics could show up and check her out--erm, in the medical sense, I mean--but if she wasn't hurt, they wouldn't bring her in to the hospital. They might insist that she make an appointment with her doctor for the next day or something... But I'm really just rambling now. My point is, for each potentially-injuring situation, you need to decide to play it one way or the other... but not both. Trying to do both is just confusing for your readers.

And... I THINK that pretty much covers it. Again, I'm really looking forward to more soon!
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Lisa is reading my story!! As for the dessert and desert, I forgot how to the difference, and then you said it and I was like 'oh, yeah!' And then the brake thing, boy do I feel like a pickle! Anyhoo, to hear you and all the other superior writers say I have potentioal, really made me happy!! And as for Piggy, good point. I shall have to correct meself!!:embarrassed: Thanks again!!

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Chapter 8: Singing in the Rain
Heads up Newsie!!

"This is a Muppet News Flash!" The yellow muppet what not reporter exclaimed through the t.v.
"The current rain has flooded the streets of America, causing homes to go under water and for inhabitants to swim to a higher area!" Even as he spoke, water began to fill his newsroom, frantically trying to keep his report and himself above water, the newsman continued.
"All people are ordered to find the highest place possible before it's too late! This is Newsie signing o-?!" Before he could finish, water filled Newsie's mouth, cutting him off. Swimming towards the door, he mildly thought to himself, "The things I do for a paycheck."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back at the muppet boarding house, many of the residing muppets were already packing.
"So are you going back to the sewers with your family?" Gonzo asked his rat friend who was packing with him.
"Nah, are you kiddin'? The sewers are the worst place right now! I for one am not a good swimmer, 'specially when your house is under water and you can't breath!" Rizzo shuttered. "How do fish stand it?" He continued packing his small belongings. Gonzo was quiet for a moment.
"Hey! Great idea Rizzo! That can be my act for the spring show!" Gonzo said, his eyes widening with glee. Rizzo shook his head and patted his friend's shoulder.
"With this weather, I don't think dere's gonna be a spring show, man." Gonzo slumped guess you're right." Sighing, Gonzo continued to pack while Rizzo pulled his stuff downstairs.
"Besides, the last thing we need is to pay for your medical and sanity bills. Sheesh!" Rizzo muttered out of ear shot. Fozzie sat packing in his own room with Rowlf beside him.
"So are you going back to your mom's old house?" Rowlf rumbled, packing his favorite chew toy in his suitcase.
"I guess so, I don't really have anywhere else to go." Fozzie sighed, heaving the last of his treasurable jokes in his bag. "What about you, where will go?" The shaggy dog thought for a moment then shrugged.
"I don't really know. I'd like to travel the road again, smell the places I've sniffed, meet some of the old dogs again. Who knows, I hear Hawaii's pretty nice this time of year." Rowlf grinned warmly, resting his head on the bed. "But before I go, I'm going to say goodbye to a well worn friend." The two muppets headed down the stairs, followed by their other furry and smooth skinned friends. They were all packed it looked like, and Scooter was going around getting numbers to keep in contact with in case of emergencies. As he proceded, Rowlf sat on the old paino bench, brushing his paws across the keys for effect and farewell. he started to play an old familiar tune they all new too well. Fozzie smiled softly and started the song, while the electric mayhem picked up the notes and started to play softly along with the piano.
Saying goodbye, going away
Seems like goodbye's such a hard thing to say
Scooter sang next, his voice catching, but he his face set with determination. He held hands with the muppets next to him, not caring who it was.
Touching a hand, wondering why
It's time for saying goodbye
All the muppets grabbed hands, singing together and hugging each other.
Saying goodbye, why is it sad?
Makes us remember the good times we've had
Much more to say, foolish to try
Robin sang with Sweetums, his voice slightly muffled by the monster's hair.
Dont want to leave, but we both know
Sometimes it's better to go
Clifford sang with the Electric Mayhem, sadly playing his guitar next to Floyd.
Somehow I know we'll meet again
Not sure quite where, and I dont know just when
You're in my heart, so until then
Fozzie sang softly, not really listening to anything but the melody.
Wanna smile, wanna cry
Saying goodbye
La la la la la la la la
All the muppets sang along with him until the notes slowly floated away from their house. Likewise did the muppets as they all hugged one last time before flowing out the door. Soon only Rowlf was left in the house. Running his hands over the polished wood, he bent down and kissed the well worn keys.
"Goodbye old friend."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kermit frowned out the airplane window as sheets of rain pounded against the glass.
"Er, Piggy i really don't think today was the best day to fly." He grimmaced, clenching his palate. Piggy merely applied poder to her cheeks calmly, barely acknowledging her husband's discomfort.

"We'll be fine. Flying has to be the safest way to fly." She sniffed daintily. "Vous yourself said that times fun when you're having fun. Why not order some flies. This is first class after all Kermie." If possible, Kermit would have turned even more green.
"Um, never mind." Kermit looked out the window once again to see nothing but clouds and lightning. Sighing, he pulled the shade down and closed his eyes, this was going to be a long flight. Even though it must have been longer, it only felt like minutes when Kermit felt mild shaking his on his arm.
"Wha-? Did we land?" he asked groggily, wiping the sleep from his eyes.
"No dear, but would vous mind putting your hand on moi's stomache?" Kermit felt his face flush red.
"Piggy! We're on a plane!" Piggy watched his discomfort with amusement.

"I didn't mean in that way, Kermie. Just place your hand right here." She said demurely, fluttering her eyelashes. Making sure no one was watching, Kermit did just that only to snatch his hand away moments later.
"Is that- was it... Oh geez!" Kermit said, brushing his hand over Piggy's bulging belly. Again and again he continued to feel kicking and movement in his beautiful wife's middle. He smiled with excitement and found his own wonder mirrored in Miss Piggy's own eyes. The moment was suddenly cut short by the captain's voice on the intercom.
"Ladies and gentlemen we will by landing shortly, please fasten your seatbelts and follow the safety precautions. Thank you for using Delta airlines for your flight." Kermit and piggy followed suit, their moment had passed but their excitement had not. What a wonderful gift life was indeed. He smiled, remembering his talk with Robin about becoming a cousin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Uncle Kermit, so Aunt Piggy's pregnant and that makes me a cus-cus..?" he looked at his uncle for help.
"Cousin." Kermit confirmed, nodding.
"Right, that. So does that mean you'll love your kids more than me?" He asked, his bottom lip quivering. Kermit scooped up the small frog into his lap/
"I could never love someone over you, Robin. 'Cept Piggy because she won't have anyone be loved more than her." Kermit said, hugging his nephew tightly. "But's why I'm depending on you to be a big boy and help your aunt and I when the babies come. Can I count on you?" Robin grinned widely at his uncle.
"You can count on me uncle Kermit! I'll be the best frog-gone cousin ever!"

This is all I have for now! Enjoy!:smile:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
So...flooding aplenty...does this mean another rainbow? :wink:

Very nice that Kermit assured Robin he won't be left out; family, and especially the extended Muppet family, has always been a major focus of the frog's life. And I'm glad the frognpig (yeah, I said it, it's like Brangelina) are getting used to, and even genuinely excited about, the prospect of parenthood! Good for them.

Newsie's bulletin is, of course, perfectly in line with his usual mishaps... :news:

Curious what the rain will mean for an upcoming birth. Er...how far along is she now? I'm a little lost, timewise...

(staunchly refusing all muffins. Though I read every danged one.)
------------------------

Misskermie

Reaction score
Figgie you've scared me in this story so much. But I'm still very happy! You almost killed them! *cry* ok I'm over it.

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
---------------
So...flooding aplenty...does this mean another rainbow? :wink:

Newsie's bulletin is, of course, perfectly in line with his usual mishaps... :news:

Curious what the rain will mean for an upcoming birth. Er...how far along is she now? I'm a little lost, timewise...

(staunchly refusing all muffins. Though I read every danged one.)
------------------------
Yes, a rainbow but not till the end. :wink: I am glad you enjoyed your star appearence! *Hands towel* The babies are due in early October or late September, it's late spring right now so, probably April. Go on, have a muffin, but I do have to say, I really felt like posting a few lines of Why can't we be Friends in reply to Ru and Wiggie, only to be funny. But that's just me.:big_grin:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Figgie you've scared me in this story so much. But I'm still very happy! You almost killed them! *cry* ok I'm over it.
*hands tissues* Don't cry! But mesa es much feliz that you are enjoying! As mum would say: It's always darkest before the dawn!:drool: