HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

Drtooth

Reaction score
ABC canceled Selfie, which was too bad. It isn't a great show, but it was much better than anything with that title deserved to be. So both of ABC's Tuesday night sitcoms have bit the dust.
Even if the show was good, the concept is unsustainable. They did curse it with that idiotic title, making it come off as some fifty year old who just discovered a fad that's run dry as it's on the downslide. Might as well called the show "Hashtag Selfie" while they were at it. But on the premise being unsustainable... they'd either have the woman be selfish and learn nothing and not grow at all and it would be repetitive, or they'd have the character evolve over the season with nothing left to explore. This is yet another example of a show that would have worked better as a movie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not at all surprised that SELFIE is getting canceled, I've heard nothing but negative reviews of it; it apparently was a poor premise to begin with, had odd casting choices, and stale writing.

Or I heard.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
But on the premise being unsustainable... they'd either have the woman be selfish and learn nothing and not grow at all and it would be repetitive, or they'd have the character evolve over the season with nothing left to explore. This is yet another example of a show that would have worked better as a movie.
I think they were trying to go in the direction of having the person who was teaching the woman being as out of touch in his own right, but who knows now. If it was a movie they probably would have instantly turned it into a romance flick, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the chickflick stuff would have come much sooner since 90 minutes vs 13 or so episodes at 22 minutes each.

Now, I haven't been watching The Millers since it's opposite Gotham, but they added Sean Hayes to the show.

Say what?! They took a perfectly funny program and added a hammy gay cliche storm to the mix? Yeah. Way to ruin the series, guys. That and Goldbergs were my favorite new shows last year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well the thing of it is, Sean Hayes is actually quite the powerhouse in Hollywood right now... you know all those crappy original sitcoms TV Land keeps cranking out that everybody hates like HOT IN CLEVELAND, THE EXES, THE SOUL MAN, HAPPILY DIVORCED, RETIRED AT 35, KIRSTIE, etc? He's behind all those shows. I think he's also responsible for some network shows on today as well. So yeah, he's got power and clout right now, so they're going to use him any chance they get.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I almost wish his sitcom was renewed. Bad enough he had a bad show to begin with, now he ruins a perfectly good series?

Even if I liked him, and to be fair, when he's playing a brain in a jar he's not bad (and YES, he did so twice), the show's humor does not mesh with camp gay stereotypes from the 90's. J B Smoov was funny enough as the non-family member wacky friend. He stole the show from the hilarious overbearing mother, imbecilic, sarcastic father, and Will Arnett. Hopefully the rest of the show shines through. I still have to get caught up. Sucks that Thursdays are all Chuck Lorre sitcoms (and that terrible one about the Boston family). I dig Big Bang (oddly more now since everyone's a couple and the lame single loser geek jokes were put to rest), I don't care too much for Mom and 2.5 Men has been dead to me for years. Sucks when everything you want to watch is scheduled at the same time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually can't stand New Girl since it's basically a less good ripoff of a show on ABC that never got a chance (with one of the same actors, no less).
NEW GIRL was also a ripoff of the TBS sitcom MY BOYS, even though that apparently was a bomb that lasted only two seasons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably is, but stylistically, the humor and staging were almost entirely identical to Happy Endings, only not as funny, and without the AWESOME sloppy, slovenly gay anti-stereotype character. It really sucks because Happy was the superior show and ABC tossed it off. Not even getting a cable pickup like Cougartown did.

ABC just can't promote a sitcom well unless it's a family based one. And it has to be an insanely popular one to boot. Seriously, Better of Ted deserved a move to a cable network. The same twisted writers behind Dinosaurs worked on that series with the same level of satire in mind. Veridian Dynamics is the human future version of Wesayso in every aspect. Just swapping B.P. Richfield with a passive aggressive woman.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's great news. Bob's has a respectable cult audience and deserves all the non-preemption slots it can. Mulaney would have worked as a Tuesday Night or Friday Night sleeper (if anyone bothered with an out of date 90's throwback), but after Family Guy, it comes off as Sons of Tuscon or other unfunny, despicable garbage that took seasonal control of AD's tome slot. I was hoping this would happen and it has.