1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Another objective opinion. ;)

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Well, we can at least agree that a majority of today's shows get more praise than the ones from, say, twelve years ago. Heck, it wasn't even just adult shows- even Cartoon Network, Disney, and Nickelodeon hit low points around that time

Muppet Master likes this.
  3. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Looks like Last Man Standing, The Real O'Neals, and to my surprise, the Matthew Perry remake of The Odd Couple are just some of the many recent shows to get canceled.

4. D'Snowth

Yeah, apparently Tim Allen and his fans are pulling a Trump and blaming the liberal media for canceling LAST MAN STANDING. No, really, they are.

As for THE ODD COUPLE, while I'm not surprised about it getting canceled, I'm surprised it did as well as it did (albeit 2-3 seasons) - not because it's a remake (because there's been a number of different Felix's and Oscar's over the years aside from Tony Randall and Jack Klugman), but the premise just doesn't work as well as it did in decades past when divorce was taken more seriously, and was actually something of a taboo subject for fiction - especially since ABC, in the 70s, was still the mostly family-friendly network, and the idea of two (divorced) men living together was more tongue-in-cheek.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  5. MikaelaMuppet

What do you mean by that?

6. D'Snowth

Tim Allen and his fans are blaming the liberal media for canceling the show - apparently because Tim himself is an outspoken conservative, the show itself appeals moreso to a conservative audience, and many conservatives believe liberals control the media, they're all blaming the liberal media for the show's cancelation.

7. MikaelaMuppet

So blaming the democrats then?

8. D'Snowth

Dear God in Heaven above, THE BIG DANG THEORY is getting a spinoff!!!

What have we done to deserve this?!!

9. MikaelaMuppet

You didn't know that already? I knew about it and I believe that it's about Sheldon.

10. D'Snowth

Sheldon was already the unofficial star of the show . . . that'd be like M*A*S*H doing a spinoff about Hawkeye, or CHEERS doing a spinoff about Sam Malone.

But hey, apparently 2 BROKE HOES has been canceled as well.

11. MikaelaMuppet

You mean Girls.

12. D'Snowth

[​IMG]

NBC is going to be rebooting THE MUNSTERS again, this time with Seth Meyers.

Ugh, their attempts to reboot THE MUNSTERS with Jerry O'Connell failed a few years ago, what makes them think Seth is a better choice? And why does NBC keep handing projects over to SNL castmembers on silver platters?

I'm telling you, if you're going to reboot THE MUNSTERS, you gotta bring in Brad Garrett! He'd make a perfect Herman Munster!

13. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

This is exactly why my sister and I decided not to get television when we moved into our condo, and just stick to our DVD's, and the Internet. Every time we're over at our parents' house, I find myself thinking, "geez, isn't there ANYthing good on?!" Tastes in television is subjective, and what may be someone's cup of tea isn't another's. Not to mention there are so many commercial breaks, it's like "we interrupt these commercials to bring you our show," and five minutes later, there's another commercial break.

D'Snowth likes this.
  14. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

That seems like a blanket and ignorant idea. "There's nothing to watch," ****, there's too much to watch now. And you know what? Just because there are a few poor ideas every once and while doesn't take away from the fact that there are several, high-quality shows out there, hour-long dramas and half-hour comedies alike, along with cartoons.

Muppet Master and muppetgem like this.
  15. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Oh come on, there is so much stuff to watch nowadays. I'll go as far as to say that the quality of shows are a lot better then they were 20 years ago. If it weren't for the nostalgia factor, most people would agree. Yes, there are obviously going to be bad shows, but don't tell me there weren't so many awful sitcoms in the 80's.

muppetgem likes this.
  16. D'Snowth

Yes, there's a lot to watch these days, but I still fail to see how shows today are better than they were twenty years ago. If shows aren't following the same-old, same-old formulaic format (*cough*Office*cough*), they sound like ideas that came from combing through one too many bad fanfics.

17. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

You clearly won't change your opinion on this, so I guess whatever. If you watch shows today, you'd realize most aren't "same-old, same-old".

18. D'Snowth

So is KEVIN (PROBABLY) SAVES THE WORLD supposed to be a comedy or a drama? I really can't tell. A lot of the earlier promos for it back in the summer made it seem like laugh-less comedy, but more recent promos make it seem more like a 7TH HEAVEN-esque sort of a drama.

19. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

It's actually both.

20. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

Can I help it if nothing I've seen lately appeals to me?!