HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But anyway, back to the point. The reason why sitcoms seem unoriginal from time to time is that experimental sitcom formats kinda don't work out unless they're really really careful and lucky.
That, and whenever one new sitcom becomes a particularly big hit, then all the other networks scramble to come out with their own knockoffs to compete with the hit. This dates back to the 60s actually: there was a point in time when monster and supernatural sitcoms dominated the airwaves: THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE MUNSTERS, BEWITCHED, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, etc. More recently, THE OFFICE became a hit for some reason, so then practically every single new sitcom to follow afterwards ripped off THE OFFICE with that mockumentary format that really only works for movies and not TV: MODERN FAMILY, PARKS AND RECREATION, that Patricia Heaton show where all her kids got really weird names... I swear, it's so hard to tell any of these shows apart, because they all look the same.

It was clear that WHITNEY was meant to be a female version of SEINFELD... nobody even liked the first season, so I don't know why it was renewed for a second season, but I do believe it finally got canceled.

NEW GIRL has become a big hit, despite that it too is a ripoff of another sitcom: TBS's MY BOYS, which pretty much is the same concept.

Heck, even when GLEE became popular, all of the sudden, musical series and movies became a dime-a-dozen.

mr3urious

Reaction score
More recently, THE OFFICE became a hit for some reason, so then practically every single new sitcom to follow afterwards ripped off THE OFFICE with that mockumentary format that really only works for movies and not TV: MODERN FAMILY, PARKS AND RECREATION, that Patricia Heaton show where all her kids got really weird names... I swear, it's so hard to tell any of these shows apart, because they all look the same.
And in the case of Parks & Rec, it came from the same producers.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hope this time when they say GLEE is getting canceled, they mean it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was clear that WHITNEY was meant to be a female version of SEINFELD... nobody even liked the first season, so I don't know why it was renewed for a second season, but I do believe it finally got canceled.
Whitney supposedly won critics over the first season because it was a true to life look at relationships. Then they watched the rest of the episodes after the first and turned on it. They completely turned on it second season. Nothing but stale old jokes that even the lamest of 1990's sitcoms (like the Single Guy) wore out. I honestly didn't see why critics liked it in the first place.

NEW GIRL has become a big hit, despite that it too is a ripoff of another sitcom: TBS's MY BOYS, which pretty much is the same concept.
The maddening thing is, New Girl is also a lot like Happy Endings. They even aired opposite each other for a while, and New Girl won out. Heck, they even almost had the same cast member (Damon Wayan Jr.) because he did the pilot when they didn't think Happy Endings would be renewed. And quite honestly, Happy Endings was a much more remarkable show (especially the most non-stereotypical portrayal of a gay man I've ever seen which needed to be commended), but it got cancelled fairly quickly on the second season. Even though there was loose talk that it would have been rescued like Cougartown was on cable. But that never happened.

And in the case of Parks & Rec, it came from the same producers.
Which is why I really didn't care much for it at first, because there was too much emphasis on trying to make it like the Office. Once they let the show take off and become it's own thing, it improved dramatically. of course, I like the show most for being a dead on satire of the political landscape we have now. Selfish townsfolk preferring an empty, deserted construction site that devalues their property over the government paying anything out of their tax dollars to fix it when the big companies file bankruptcy and turn tail. That's a pretty subtle allegory. Subtle as the sound of an entire kitchen set falling down a flight of stairs. But welcome.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And quite honestly, Happy Endings was a much more remarkable show (especially the most non-stereotypical portrayal of a gay man I've ever seen which needed to be commended), but it got cancelled fairly quickly on the second season.
Those two fat stoner video game addicts who just happen to be gay from The Sarah Silverman Program are also worth mentioning.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Which is why I really didn't care much for it at first, because there was too much emphasis on trying to make it like the Office. Once they let the show take off and become it's own thing, it improved dramatically. of course, I like the show most for being a dead on satire of the political landscape we have now. Selfish townsfolk preferring an empty, deserted construction site that devalues their property over the government paying anything out of their tax dollars to fix it when the big companies file bankruptcy and turn tail. That's a pretty subtle allegory. Subtle as the sound of an entire kitchen set falling down a flight of stairs. But welcome.
The show really came into its own when Rob Lowe and Adam Scott joined the cast. Paul Schneider's character was not very interesting, and writing him out and bringing in those two really helped the show move forward, especially because the stakes were also raised with the whole Harvest Festival plot-line.

EDIT: As I write this, NBC has announced Parks is getting a seventh season! No details on episodes, but it's going to be back!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those two fat stoner video game addicts who just happen to be gay from The Sarah Silverman Program are also worth mentioning.
That was on cable. I never really caught it. But it was really refreshing to see a slovenly, masculine gay character on regular broadcast TV. Especially since Partners (that horrible KoMutt show on CBS that lasted a few weeks... a few weeks too many) humped that sad old 90's flaming, stuck up gay stereotype from here to eternity, thinking they'd get Will and Grace levels of success out of it.

But on another subject. Funny thing that D'Snowth mentioned Addams Family and The Munsters. Those are prime examples of shows that weren't really that popular when they were first out, but became huge in syndicated reruns. I mean, Addams alone has 2 cartoon series, 3 movies, a revival show from the 90's, and a Broadway musical. And yeah, you could say it was based on the original New Yorker cartoons, but they all got their influences directly from the TV series version (which game names and personalities to the characters). Not mentioning the video games and Scooby-Doo episode, of course. There are those shows that don't find their niche until later... but it doesn't seem like there's too much of that now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Also, THE MUNSTERS spun off a lot of other projects as well, such as a movie with the original cast (sans Marilyn), a remake in the 90s featuring cameos by some of the original cast, a reboot series that lasted longer than the original, then of course NBC tried to revamp it again Darker and Edgier but ended up with that failed 1313 MOCKINGBIRD LANE pilot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, THE MUNSTERS spun off a lot of other projects as well, such as a movie with the original cast (sans Marilyn), a remake in the 90s featuring cameos by some of the original cast, a reboot series that lasted longer than the original, then of course NBC tried to revamp it again Darker and Edgier but ended up with that failed 1313 MOCKINGBIRD LANE pilot.
The only reason why they didn't give the new Munsters project a chance was because they were cheap. Beggars apparently can be choosers. Besides, they had that wonderful hit series Smash which is now entering it's third season... NOT!

Yeah, there were also a couple other movies, If I recall.

Still, the point is, there are sitcoms that never find the audience and fail, then there's ones that don't initially find an audience until it hits a different market or generation.