Help a fellow Puppeteer!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Bob Baker is a 84-year-old puppeteer who has been in the craft for 45 years! He runs one of the oldest puppet theatres in the United States. The theater, at 1345 W. First St., has fallen into debt, and owner Bob Baker has been told by his mortgage holder that he must raise approximately $30,000 to avoid foreclosure proceedings.

This got me thinking…

If I can get 1000 people- only 1000 people to donate $30 (in cliche commercial terms: That’s just $1.00 a day for a month) we could save Bob and the theatre. Now is the time that Puppeteers Unite! and help Bob and his theatre.

In the times we live in today, with everyone in financial woes- I believe that the solution is found only when we band together and help eachother. This holiday season ask someone to give you one less DVD and donate towards Bob’s theatre.

Please find it in your heart to support Bob.

I contacted Bob and he is very gracious. He stated that the money is much needed and that anyone can contact him at bobbakerpuppetmaker@yahoo.com

or contact their office at 213-250-9995 - they take Visa or Mastercard.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Bob is an amazing builder and his theatre is really a piece of puppetry history. I used puppet heads that he build for years and they were really beautiful work.

Maybe everybody who blogs about puppetry (or has a puppetry site, mailing list, etc.) could coordinate and jointly promote your idea. I think the idea of 1,000 people giving $30 is a great one and very do-able. There are also a group (or groups) of supporters raising funds and coming up with a plan of action in L.A.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Thanks Buck-Beaver.
You are so right! Tell your friends and tell them to tell their friends and so on, and so on..
I know it is hard times for everyone right now, but every little bit helps. :smile:
Here are some photos of Bob's Theatre I found on Flickr HERE!
Just Amazing! Hopefully one day I can make it out there to see it.